British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Tree Surgeon ?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/tree-surgeon-426033/)

Shoan and Rich Feb 12th 2007 3:49 pm

Tree Surgeon ??

Hi everyone,

Can I first of all say , what a fantastic web site, everyone seems so helpfull.
We have recently decided to move our family over to Perth Aus, my partner is a tree surgeon and is hoping to find work when he get there (hopfully nxt spring 08). I just spoke to my brother who said that we were crazy and there is no work for tree surgeons in Aus and now I'm starting to panic, it may simply be that he has a cob on because I am going and he will have to find some other sucker to do his washing, but thought I would ask those who know best.......

Could you give me any info on pay scales , job opps etc for Tree surgeons in Australia (Perth is where we are planning to move).

Cheers for listening.

Shona x

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer Feb 12th 2007 4:20 pm

Re: Tree Surgeon ??

Originally Posted by Shoan and Rich (Post 4393685)
Hi everyone,

We have recently decided to move our family over to Perth Aus, my partner is a tree surgeon and is hoping to find work when he get there (hopfully nxt spring 08). I just spoke to my brother who said that we were crazy and there is no work for tree surgeons in Aus and now I'm starting to panic, it may simply be that he has a cob on because I am going and he will have to find some other sucker to do his washing, but thought I would ask those who know best.......

Could you give me any info on pay scales , job opps etc for Tree surgeons in Australia (Perth is where we are planning to move).

Cheers for listening.

Shona x

Certainly no expert, but trees are definitely not as abundant in Perth as in the UK. The few that there are seem to grow much, much slower over a longer period of time. Can't imagine there's much call for tree surgeons in Perth. I could be wrong, but this is my impression.

Has he thought about diversifying his skills into horticulture/ gardening/ landscaping....? There would be a huge call for that with all the new builds!

Hope this helps.

Shoan and Rich Feb 12th 2007 4:58 pm

Thats a good idea, Im a youth worker and hope to find a job when we get there also. I think he would probably be keen to try anything.
Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

We are still interested to learn what sort of wages we could expect when we are there, helps to plan budgets etc, so any more info on tree surgery, horticulture and even youth work (mental health advocacy worker) would be great.

Take care
Shona x:)

furkew Feb 12th 2007 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Shoan and Rich (Post 4393895)
Thats a good idea, Im a youth worker and hope to find a job when we get there also. I think he would probably be keen to try anything.
Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

We are still interested to learn what sort of wages we could expect when we are there, helps to plan budgets etc, so any more info on tree surgery, horticulture and even youth work (mental health advocacy worker) would be great.

Take care
Shona x:)

not very good news i'm afraid.

http://www.getaccess.com.au/careers/...ata/OCC287.asp

Shoan and Rich Feb 12th 2007 5:29 pm

Holly Macaronie Bat Man !:eek:

Thats shocking !!
He is an area manager in this country and earns way more than that !
I think he will have to diversify his skills a wee bit !

youth work looks a wee bit better, but not much :huh:

Oh well, we didi't decide to move for the money !

Staying positive

Shona x

denver Feb 12th 2007 7:36 pm

Hi everyone,

Cheers for listening.Shona x

This is just my opinion and I am far from an expert on this but I grew up in Perth, and there are lots of big trees in the older suburbs. We had to get one regularly as our trees would grow way too close the overhead electricity lines. The powers that be actually come and look at this and serve notice on your property if this is the case. There are heaps more trees in Perth than there is in London for example. Also if your husband proves reliable, turns up in time and doesn't over-charge there seems to be heaps of work in Perth for trades/this kind of work.

Good luck!

sasbear Feb 12th 2007 8:23 pm

[QUOTE=Shoan and Rich;4393685]Hi everyone,

Cheers for listening.

Move to Canberra - blasted trees everywhere!!!

We had 40 chopped down off our property and opne huge one coming down this Thursday at a cost of $2000:eek:

Shoan and Rich Feb 12th 2007 8:46 pm

That sounds more like it, Richie is actually area manager for the company that chek the trees under the power lines around where we live, maybe jobs going in that line of work. We will keep our fingers crossed.

Canberra sounds like a great place to be with a chainsaw ! :eek:
Might look there too, cheers everyone.

sasbear Feb 12th 2007 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Shoan and Rich (Post 4394897)
That sounds more like it, Richie is actually area manager for the company that chek the trees under the power lines around where we live, maybe jobs going in that line of work. We will keep our fingers crossed.

Canberra sounds like a great place to be with a chainsaw ! :eek:
Might look there too, cheers everyone.

sounds like Canberra where you need to be. Tree guys come round every year and check the poer lines etc and inform owners what needs doing. If trees are smallish oweners can chop themselves but usually you need permission and someone else.

The tree that is coming down this week is huge - and we have asked the guy to leave it cut in manageable sizes so we can get the chainsaw out and use for firewood over the next 2 years. I will post some before and after pics here on Thursday eveneing.

Shoan and Rich Feb 12th 2007 9:03 pm

That would be great, he would love to see it, give me a shout when you put them up and I will let him know. He loves stuff like that. So are you living in Canberra now, where did you move from?

Shona

sasbear Feb 12th 2007 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Shoan and Rich (Post 4394968)
That would be great, he would love to see it, give me a shout when you put them up and I will let him know. He loves stuff like that. So are you living in Canberra now, where did you move from?

Shona

Hi

Yes in Canberra and have been since moving out here Sept 2004.

We have family just over the border in Sutton NSW and cousins in Canberra also.

I am from Sheffield and hubby from Creswell (small mining village close to Nottingham).

Sas

Shoan and Rich Feb 12th 2007 9:24 pm

we have some good friends in Perth, it would be great to be near people we knew at the begining. Are you glad you moved? Whats Canberra like, it looks lovely in the pictures Ive seen.

Shona:)

sasbear Feb 12th 2007 9:42 pm

5 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Shoan and Rich (Post 4395058)
we have some good friends in Perth, it would be great to be near people we knew at the begining. Are you glad you moved? Whats Canberra like, it looks lovely in the pictures Ive seen.

Shona:)

Canberra is the most beautiful city ever, peaceful, clean and diverse in its outlook. Like a lot of small towns all stitched together with a great road network but on a vast expanse. Lots of open space and lots of mountains and trees.

I will try and attach a few pics...

The Johnstons Feb 12th 2007 9:44 pm

Don't mean to be rude, but I thought someone who actually lives in Perth should answer you. Tree-lopping is HUGE here. Almost every home you pass has huge palms etc and you won't drive very far without passing a sign-written ute advertising their tree-surgeon services. Good friends of mine own and run a tree-lopping (don't know the technical term:) ) business and are over-run with work (he has about 15 guys working for him) and he also has the contract for Kings Park (you know those beautiful trees that are lit up on Fraser Ave?) so you can imagine the amount of work there! Perth is over-run with established parks and although I am no expert, I would have thought that there would be a fair amount of work out there.

Good luck with your decision to move, Perth is beautiful and we have enjoyed every minute since we moved here from Scotland last March.:D
Tracey

chels Feb 12th 2007 9:45 pm

Hi everyone,

Cheers for listening.

Shona x

I met someone a few months back at a party who had started up a business as a tree surgeon covering the Sydney area, and he said business was very good and he had lots of work on. If I wasn't living in a rental, I would have hired him to chop down the overhanging branches from our neighbour's tree which block out all the light in our backyard and drop leaves on our washing! We live in a small terrace and it seems every backyard has a massive tree growing in it that looks on the verge of toppling over :frown: