Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Travelling to The Uk and Back to Australia

Travelling to The Uk and Back to Australia

Old Aug 2nd 2021, 2:45 am
Just Joined

Blunderingblunderbuss is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travelling to The Uk and Back to Australia

Hi Guys has anyone travelled recently back to the Uk and then returned to Oz. I am considering trying to do so , both Mum and Dad seriously Ill . But I have just spoken to a travel agent and she said that a lot of people getting stranded because of the travel caps. Just wondering if anyone has done this ? I am going to go for 3 months , and where as getting stranded for an extra month would not be an issue getting stranded for a really long time would be more of a hassle ....... many thanks cheers
Old Aug 2nd 2021, 3:41 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling to The Uk and Back to Australia

Originally Posted by Blunderingblunderbuss
Hi Guys has anyone travelled recently back to the Uk and then returned to Oz. I am considering trying to do so , both Mum and Dad seriously Ill . But I have just spoken to a travel agent and she said that a lot of people getting stranded because of the travel caps. Just wondering if anyone has done this ? I am going to go for 3 months , and where as getting stranded for an extra month would not be an issue getting stranded for a really long time would be more of a hassle ....... many thanks cheers
many people are getting stuck for weeks or even months trying to get back because of the flight caps. They are not likely to be increased at all this year either, quarantine hotels are at bursting point. Many people are finding they can only get flights by paying Business or First Class, or by registering for DFAT Repatriation Flights, but those are often short notice. Its a bit of a lottery I'm afraid, and not likely to improve for many months.
Old Aug 2nd 2021, 3:46 am
Just Joined

Thank you so much , mmmmmm trying times, I guess I will just have to think long and hard about what to do!!!!!! Cheers
Old Aug 4th 2021, 6:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

They do say that if you can get an exemption (task number 1) then if you have a return ticket you are less likely to get bumped off flights to return. I think you would have to qualify "seriously ill" - that would need to be demonstrated to be "end of life pathway" to get an exemption. We have had people on here who have gone and returned because they had a return ticket.
Old Aug 4th 2021, 6:47 am
Just Joined

Thats Interesting many thanks for the info. I do know of one Lady that went a couple of weeks ago to see her newly born grandchild , she has gone for three months and is doubled jabbed , just apply and give it a go I guess.
Old Aug 6th 2021, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

I would just be very careful. There are no guarantees even for those trying to reunite with dying family members. Lots of cases in the news, trying to get in or out of Australia to be with their loved ones. It’s even a nightmare trying to get compassionate exemptions interstate let alone overseas.

Wish that wasn’t the case. My friend passed away here in Australia without any family members gaining an exemption in time to get into Australia to be with her :-(
Old Aug 6th 2021, 12:36 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

People are getting bumped off flights left and right at the moment...even by the more reliable airlines.

There is just too much risk with this right now.

It seems like we will be in and out of lockdowns for the rest of this year. Vic has said yesterday that they MAY pull capacity for international arrivals if they need to fill up quarantine places with covid positive Melbourne residents who cannot safely isolate at home. If that happens ALL airlines will be bumping people at very short notice with no hope of securing an alternative booking.
Old Aug 6th 2021, 4:36 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
People are getting bumped off flights left and right at the moment...even by the more reliable airlines.

There is just too much risk with this right now.

It seems like we will be in and out of lockdowns for the rest of this year. Vic has said yesterday that they MAY pull capacity for international arrivals if they need to fill up quarantine places with covid positive Melbourne residents who cannot safely isolate at home. If that happens ALL airlines will be bumping people at very short notice with no hope of securing an alternative booking.
Even Aussies who are resident overseas now have to apply for permission to leave now, effectively preventing them from coming here for family funerals etc. as they can't be sure they will ever get permission tio return to their homes abroad.

The prison gates are being locked firmer every day.
Old Aug 6th 2021, 9:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

The only potential loophole currently I can see is getting a flight on return to Singapore and waiting for NZ to open up.

Hopefully will be a very different outlook November onwards if Sydney keeps screaming its head off.

Old Aug 7th 2021, 6:49 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
The only potential loophole currently I can see is getting a flight on return to Singapore and waiting for NZ to open up.
If the NZ bubble comes back it applies to Australia - NZ travel, not Australian citizen - NZ travel. An Australian who is not ordinarily resident in NZ would not be permitted to board a flight from Singapore to NZ.
Old Aug 8th 2021, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

If you do intend to go make sure you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 it is circulating widely in the UK.
Old Aug 10th 2021, 11:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rammygirl
If you do intend to go make sure you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 it is circulating widely in the UK.
Thank you , yes all ready double jabbed , got it done as soon as I could , go job the way Sydney is going!!!
Old Aug 19th 2021, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

ponface is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Travelling to The Uk and Back to Australia

Double drat......i was hoping to search the forum & find that several people had been back to the UK & got back here without problems.
I used to fly back twice a year to see my daughter but its now getting close to 2 years since i have been able to make the journey.
Last year I was told this year, now its next year.
Is my only guaranteed way out to leave for good? then maybe come back in a couple of years & start again?
Old Aug 19th 2021, 1:26 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ponface
Double drat......i was hoping to search the forum & find that several people had been back to the UK & got back here without problems.
I used to fly back twice a year to see my daughter but its now getting close to 2 years since i have been able to make the journey.
Last year I was told this year, now its next year.
Is my only guaranteed way out to leave for good? then maybe come back in a couple of years & start again?
Probably! I can't see the situation changing anytime soon for a variety of reasons. You could be lucky in getting back but who knows. What really pisses me off is my UK nephew has a 5 year old son here and he was able to get an exemption to visit him, came, did his quarantine, did his visit and flew home again with no real problem whilst Australians don't seem to have the same ability. If everyone would just get vaccinated, we might stand a chance of some sort of normality. It would be lovely to be able to hug my daughter again, last one I had was April 2018. Thank **** for Whatsapp!
Old Aug 19th 2021, 3:03 am
Just Joined

That must be really tough not being able to visit your daughter , I really really hope they let us travel next year. At least now they appear to be vaccinating more people ..... .But yeah way too slooooow with their vaccination program I got vaccinated as soon as I could ( back in March), lets hope they push on with it and open up!!! I did Listen to a podcast about travelling to the UK , it was called Britstralian podcast, episode4 was the one about travel ling to the UK, the company featured is called British travel , they are in WA but supply tickets all over oz , maybe the podcast might be useful? Sorry I cant just put a link but the website not letting me post a URL. Good luck I hope it works out for you !!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.