Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Travelling U.K before you go??

Travelling U.K before you go??

Old Aug 3rd 2003, 10:24 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Travelling U.K before you go??

As we hope to complete the sale of our house before the visas arrive [if all goes to plan] we intend to do a bit of travelling around the U.K. Two reasons for this, the first being our alternative accommodation is with the outlaws second although we've both been used to holidaying in the U.K as kids there are loads of places neither of us have been to. I've never been to Scotland, the Lake District or Cornwall [come to think of it I've never been to London as an adult] and Deb's not visited North Wales or Cornwall.
After discussing it for a while we decided to make a list of places to go [and where people we know live ] and head of for a month. Our trip will take us anti clockwise around the whole of the U.K [if the car holds up to it]. Is anyone else planning to do something simlar? Is there anywhere that's an absolute must to visit?
Old Aug 3rd 2003, 11:07 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling U.K before you go??

Originally posted by cresta57
As we hope to complete the sale of our house before the visas arrive [if all goes to plan] we intend to do a bit of travelling around the U.K. Is there anywhere that's an absolute must to visit?
I think this is an excellent idea and wish I had done similar, your future ability to do so being so restricted. I would recommend the Nothumbrian coastline, try Bamburgh
Old Aug 3rd 2003, 11:15 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Fab idea, I am planning 2 weeks of something similar - meeting old friends as well as family - although I intend to come back for holidays I'm a sentimental soul & want to see everything/everyone that means a lot just before I go ......
Old Aug 3rd 2003, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

london would be worth a couple of days..
it is a great city..loads to do

chers

richard
Old Aug 4th 2003, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

megawho is an unknown quantity at this point

As we hope to complete the sale of our house before the visas arrive [if all goes to plan] we intend to do a bit of travelling around the U.K. Two reasons for this, the first being our alternative accommodation is with the outlaws second although we've both been used to holidaying in the U.K as kids there are loads of places neither of us have been to. I've never been to Scotland, the Lake District or Cornwall [come to think of it I've never been to London as an adult] and Deb's not visited North Wales or Cornwall.
After discussing it for a while we decided to make a list of places to go [and where people we know live ] and head of for a month. Our trip will take us anti clockwise around the whole of the U.K [if the car holds up to it]. Is anyone else planning to do something simlar? Is there anywhere that's an absolute must to visit?

This is something I would definetely do. Draw up a list of your fav. places/places you never got around to visiting and do it while you still have the chance....
Old Aug 4th 2003, 6:45 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Typical Refugee cannot find their way of of their backgarden now are going to live in one in Australia , this place is doomed.

Old Aug 4th 2003, 10:11 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Typical Refugee cannot find their way of of their backgarden now are going to live in one in Australia , this place is doomed.

Awww thanks PB it's always a pleasure to read another one of your 5300 odd articulate replies to the forum.
Old Aug 4th 2003, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

S/pick is an unknown quantity at this point

We are doing a similar thing over 2 months while our house completes. Places we intend visiting are; Scarborough, London, leeds, bradford, Skegness, Cambridge, France and Cornwall and anywhere else that takes our fancy(or where friends and family live).

Can't wait
Old Aug 4th 2003, 11:01 pm
over the cuckoo's nest

Slater will become famous soon enoughSlater will become famous soon enough

Havn't got the visa yet, but looking foreward to visiting friends and family back in europe in 5 years time. I know it's a long way away, there is a lot of Oz to see and get aquainted with in the next 4 years. We seem to have little time for holidays here and when we do we want to go find the sun, enjoy good beaches and good food. When we visit in 5 years it will be for 6 months, we will appreciate all the good points in England and Europe without the day to day stresses that we have now.

Slater
Old Aug 6th 2003, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Young_lass and I have just come back after a few days spent around Ullswater, Ambleside and Windermere in the Lake District. Of course the weather helped, but I can't believe there's a more scenic place. After a couple of days there it's even easy to get blasé about the most stunning views simply because there are so many. Glad I've seen it.
Old Aug 6th 2003, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice

We just love Cornwall, clean air, rocky coastlines a really great place. Just a shame property is so expensive there now.

My favourite place in Cornwall is a tiny little known fishing harbour called "Port Loe", South West from St Austell on the south coast. You have to drive through some pretty narrow lanes to get there, but well worth the visit. It looks like it has'nt changed for hundreds of years and also boasts a terrific pub which serves great food and local beers like "Tinners". I would also reccomend visiting St Mawes, just a little further down the coast.

Have a pint for me!
Old Aug 6th 2003, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

wolfens_wife is an unknown quantity at this point

We went down to stonehenge to show our little boy and gonna go around some castles in Wales before we leave.
Old Aug 6th 2003, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

cariad is an unknown quantity at this point

Yup, I'd agree there - Northumberland is a must see. It's got the national park and the coastal national park.

From Berwick to Amble it's stunning and you've got Hadrians wall country west+north of Hexam.

Plus you've normally got it all to your self unlike Cornwall.

Originally posted by jayr
I think this is an excellent idea and wish I had done similar, your future ability to do so being so restricted. I would recommend the Nothumbrian coastline, try Bamburgh