Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

travelling with toddler-how will we all cope?

travelling with toddler-how will we all cope?

Old Jul 21st 2005, 7:51 pm
eggs84

Unhappy travelling with toddler-how will we all cope?

Wonder of anyone can give us tips on how best to do the flight to Oz witha toddler? Going to have at least one stop-off on the way. Can anyone recommend who best to fly with when you`ve got kids and good hotels for stop off(probably Singapore) Dreading it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Jul 21st 2005, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

susannah has a brilliant futuresusannah has a brilliant futuresusannah has a brilliant futuresusannah has a brilliant futuresusannah has a brilliant futuresusannah has a brilliant future
Default Re: travelling with toddler-how will we all cope?

Originally Posted by eggs84
Wonder of anyone can give us tips on how best to do the flight to Oz witha toddler? Going to have at least one stop-off on the way. Can anyone recommend who best to fly with when you`ve got kids and good hotels for stop off(probably Singapore) Dreading it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi

I haven't actually taken my 2 year old with me yet. But like you I am dreading it.

I know people that have sucessfully taken toddlers on long flights that haven't had a problem. They said that they slept most of the flight.

All they surgested to do was buy some new toys (or put some old ones away so they are like new when the time comes). I am taking my fella next year.

I would love to know how you get on

Susi
Old Jul 21st 2005, 8:00 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

We've got a nearly four year old and a 20 month old, it'll be the third time we've
done it.

I find it helps to drink a lot to numb it
Old Jul 21st 2005, 8:02 pm
Zan
Forum Regular

Zan will become famous soon enoughZan will become famous soon enough

Hi, I've done the UK-Oz flight a few times with lo's
(with a 3.5-4.5 month old, with a 2 year old and 2.5-4.5
month old, and with a 3 year old and a 14 months old).
Never actually found it that hard. We stop over and do
night flights for all the legs so mostly they sleep.
Take a few colouring books, books, magazines if they are
into them yet, new toys, any favourite things.
Lots of snacks.
Under 2 they don't need a seat and get the bulkhead,
loads of room, they can sleep in the skycot/chair, and
when awake play on the floor area in front of you.
And mostly remember - no matter what happens you will
never see the people on the plane again!!! Also the
engine noise drowns out most of the noise, I remember
one flight where the baby opposite us cried for ages,
but when everyone disembarked they were all saying Oh I
didn't know there were babies on here, so the sounds
doesn't carry for more than a couple of rows.
Sleep when they do!
That's all I can think of but any questions just ask.
Zan
Old Jul 21st 2005, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Mitchells is an unknown quantity at this point

We travelled to OZ with Meg when she was 6months and again when she was just over 2yrs. To be totally honest she travelled best when she was 2.

I filled a kiddy case full of stuff to amuse her on the flight(Cheapo Sticker books, crayons, books). Nemo was the thing then and in the Disney store they had little tiny plastic models of these, she played with these for hours, loved the idea of watching her own movie with her own headset and watched the same movie from heathrow to Singapore, with a little sleep someway along the way.

On the way home she basically slept the whole way, this could be because the flight was at 1am.

We flew with Singapore Air when she was 6mnths and then have used them ever since as we found them very helpful.

Going again in Oct, but this time she will be 4 and thinks she knows it all so have no idea what to do, also have a son who will be just over 1 so think I will leave it up to Stef this time and just sit back and enjoy afew drinks just like someone else suggested.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 8:53 pm
Sunning it up in Benowa

Location: Body in benowa, Mind in Benowa, the whole fricking thing in benowa MAN !!!!!
Jane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eggs84

Try phenergan ( might not be spelt like this)

It is a medicine that helps with travel sicknes and relaxes you, so that they sleep.

You can buy it over the chemist counter, ask the chemist about it, and they should explain more
Old Jul 21st 2005, 8:56 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I recorded 8 hours of Nick Jnr onto DVD for my (then 3 year old) son Josh, which he watched back on this cheapo (but excellent) Philips mini-DVD player. He didn't watch all 8 hours back-to-back of course, just the odd hour of Big Cook Little Cook, Dora and Bob the Builder, now and then. The seat-back entertainment just doesn't cut it on those flights and he enjoyed watching something while we settled down with a vacuous movie. Other than that, we took loads of crayons and books and little toys. However the two things you can never have enough of are a) baby wipes and b) water. Buy lots and lots of water and maybe a bit of ribena to mix it with because even in the departure lounge you can be sat around for an hour with nowhere to retreat to. Oh and take lots of durable food too - no matter how good it is on the plane, the odds are your kid won't much like it. Also bear in mind that the airlines tend to stick all the families with young kids together in the rows immediately surrounding the bulk-head, safe in the knowledge that we'll all understand the problems everyone else is having and be more tolerant of the strops, screaming, tears, tantrums and boisterousness. We picked night-flights whenever possible and always stopped off for a sanity-stopover in Malaysia or Hong Kong. I can highly recommend the Pan Pacific hotel in Kuala Lumpur airport in Malaysia which is a short walk from the terminals through air conditioned corridors - they couldn't have been more helpful with regard room/kids and stuff and getting a night's rest after a veeeeeeeeeery long day was a life-saver. Have a shower, watch a bit of TV, order up some of the stunning chicken satay and get some rest.

In a strange way I actually enjoyed our flights.

Last edited by Hutch; Jul 21st 2005 at 9:00 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 9:02 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jane and Russ Middleton

It is a medicine that helps with travel sicknes and relaxes you, so that they sleep.

You can buy it over the chemist counter, ask the chemist about it, and they should explain more
But test it before you go it can send some kids hyper
Old Jul 21st 2005, 9:05 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot to mention - the absolute number one best tip for these sorts of flights where you're having an overnight stop-over!

You can check your main baggage right through to the end destination, so that when you hop off half way in Hong Kong or Malaysia or wherever, you just take yourself and your hand baggage off to the hotel and your bulky suitcases and whatnot wait at the airport for you and your flight the next day where they're automatically checked onto the plane. So you only have to do that queue and check-in business once here and once in Oz for the return leg. Just pack a change of clothes for everyone in a medium-sized rucksack and then when you wake up, you can leave actually getting air-side at the airport to an hour before the flight takes off.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 9:08 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

my sister has just been to aus (and come back) with a very hyper-active 2 1/2 year old, and she was DREADING IT!!!!

the little man was very good throughout the flight, slept most of the way. they went with malaysian airlines, sis says they are excellant.

he has phenegan on presciption, but she didn't use it!!!

i think most kids will surprise you travelling, and you will always think the worst is going to happen!!

good luck anyway

michelle
Old Jul 21st 2005, 9:13 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jane and Russ Middleton

:scared: :scared:

That is a bit drastic for a toddler....

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/prometh_ad.htm
Old Jul 21st 2005, 9:23 pm
eggs84

Originally Posted by Hutch
Forgot to mention - the absolute number one best tip for these sorts of flights where you're having an overnight stop-over!

You can check your main baggage right through to the end destination, so that when you hop off half way in Hong Kong or Malaysia or wherever, you just take yourself and your hand baggage off to the hotel and your bulky suitcases and whatnot wait at the airport for you and your flight the next day where they're automatically checked onto the plane. So you only have to do that queue and check-in business once here and once in Oz for the return leg. Just pack a change of clothes for everyone in a medium-sized rucksack and then when you wake up, you can leave actually getting air-side at the airport to an hour before the flight takes off.
Thanks so much for all your advice it`s great to know you have all got through it and remained sane!Will take your advice on the baggage,great idea to reduce stress at the airport.x

Old Jul 21st 2005, 9:47 pm

amanda76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually phenegan is very good and recommended by health care professionals. long haul flights are very traumatic on little uns and anything that helps settle them is a bonus. if you do a check on anything you will have side effects.

the option is there and for parents to make an informed choice, if you dont know about it you cant choose.

agree with fraser though try it before you go, just in case it has the opposite effect!!

amanda
Old Jul 21st 2005, 9:59 pm
Tired but Happy

poshrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud of

Hya i will be travelling to sydney for the first time with my son who will be 2 december longest we have ever flown is 4 hrs on annual hols which he was very good about as he had his own seat (hubby was supposed to come but had to got oz instead jammy bugger) what are sky cots i have never heard of these obviously when you go short haul toddlers just sit on your lap, and we were going to book thomas a seat as i didn't fancy that on a long haul flight so can someone fill me in what happens please.

kind regards
Poshrice
Old Jul 21st 2005, 10:24 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
:scared: :scared:

That is a bit drastic for a toddler....

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/prometh_ad.htm
Nope, you can get those side effects taking asprin or a hundred other drugs .

Phenergan can be a godsend, not only for the flight, but afterwards. Jetlagged toddlers are a serious health risk :scared: .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.