Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Travelling with Singapore Air and a baby.

Travelling with Singapore Air and a baby.

Old May 14th 2006, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

Craig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really nice
Default Travelling with Singapore Air and a baby.

I know this has been done before but I am just looking for the latest first hand info from someone who has been in the same position.

We are travelling for our "Visa validation" trip to Brisbane in August with Singapore air. We are taking our toddler who will be 21 months old and have paid for a seat for him. Can anyone who has done this themselves please let us know did you take your normal baby car seat for use on the plane, and did it fit ok in the airplane seat as the Britax seats we have seem quite bulky. Or did you have to buy a more compact seat for the flight. I have e-mailed Singapore air and all they said was as long as the baby seat is less than 18 inches deep and is EU approved there is no problem, but there is no better information than from someone who has actually been in the same position. Any info that anyone can give us would be gratefully received, and would hopefully make a potentially stressful 24 hours a whole lot easier. Thanks in anticipation.
Old May 14th 2006, 12:28 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling with Singapore Air and a baby.

We took Jonah when he was 3 mths old to Au with Singapore Airlines - what can I say?? They were absolutely fantastic. We were so impressed that we are flying with them again on the 27th May with both Jonah (3) and Susannah (9mths) when we emigrate.....!

We didn't and are not using car seats on the flight. We got bulkhead seats and used the Skycots provided. When it was a tad turbulent we just took the baby out of the skycot.

Claire
x
Originally Posted by Craig&Sam
I know this has been done before but I am just looking for the latest first hand info from someone who has been in the same position.

We are travelling for our "Visa validation" trip to Brisbane in August with Singapore air. We are taking our toddler who will be 21 months old and have paid for a seat for him. Can anyone who has done this themselves please let us know did you take your normal baby car seat for use on the plane, and did it fit ok in the airplane seat as the Britax seats we have seem quite bulky. Or did you have to buy a more compact seat for the flight. I have e-mailed Singapore air and all they said was as long as the baby seat is less than 18 inches deep and is EU approved there is no problem, but there is no better information than from someone who has actually been in the same position. Any info that anyone can give us would be gratefully received, and would hopefully make a potentially stressful 24 hours a whole lot easier. Thanks in anticipation.
Old May 14th 2006, 12:28 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

Yes, we did this, with a car seat that used the central lap belt on the car. It was fine. However, said child spent more time lying on us than asleep in the seat.
The seat was bulky but handy both on the plane and at the other end.
Old May 14th 2006, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Location: North East - planning to move to Southern Queensland
BillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud of

We went when our son was 7 months old and the Sky Cot was fab - but there is no way he would fit in it now (despite still being under 2 and within the offical weight restriction). When we go out again he will be a similar age to your babe and we will definitely pay for an extra seat for him - the idea of having a squirming toddler on your knee for all that time is just terrifying. I have seen people using a car seat and others just using the plane seat with a pillow on it. I think we will bring our Britax Car seat because that way we will be able to strap him in for some of the Journey and try to 'make' him sleep that way. If he just has the lap belt the temptation for him to toddle off will be too great. Good Luck with the Journey - it won't be much fun - but arriving at the other end will be worth it.
Old May 14th 2006, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

mattvicki has a spectacular aura aboutmattvicki has a spectacular aura aboutmattvicki has a spectacular aura about

We flew with a 18mth old Singapore and they were very good, the first thing they asked as we boarded was did we need any nappies...

I wouldn't bother with a car seat in the cabin, they are required to sit on you with a child tandem belt for take off and landing anyway and my little one spent the rest of the flight asleep sideways any way or walking up and down the isles introducing himself to people.....I have to say it was the best £500 we ever spent getting the seat.

Matt

Old May 14th 2006, 9:08 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Dont the car seat manufacturers discourage long periods ie more than 4 hours in these seats?

If you go for the seat rows behind the bulk head the arm rests come up making it more comfortable for the little one to fall asleep on your lap - but retaining their body on their own seat.

You will be fine either way, as Singapore Airlines are good with kids. Its just a long bus ride really.

Kiwi
Old May 15th 2006, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

Craig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really nice

Thanks for the replies and advice, gives us something to think about. Leaning toward not taking one at all now and just building a nice comfy seat for him with the cushions, however still concerned about how secure he will be without a proper harness. Thanks again.
Old May 16th 2006, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Just had 4 flights with Singapore Airlines in last 10 days ... uniformly 2 things - the staff were fantastic with the children, really helpful and we seemed to have a lot of single parents flying and the children were all really well behaved. The kids meals are good too - although we were generally really impressed with everything and my children would be happy with the adult meals too.

Good luck.

PS - I wouldn't bother with car seat - but my children prefer to lie down and I don't need to strap them down too much.
Old May 17th 2006, 5:14 am
BE Enthusiast

steve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to all

we flew last june with Hayley who was then 15 months old. We used Singapore Air and they were fab, we didn't have a seat but got bulkhead and used the sky cot. Its much bigger than the cathay Pacific sky cots we used when she was 9 months old.

Singapore Air are just fantastic, they had baby food in jars, little packs with nappies, rash cream, bibs, etc in them. The girls on the flights entertained Hayley and played with her when they weren't busy. It was very very good.

Singapore Air are the best we've flown with and we've done the trip to Australia with BA/Qantas, Cathay Pacific, and Korean. Yes we used a different airline every time.

Just try and relax, all hire cars in Australia have car seats you can use and its a legal requirement that they are anchored into the car with straps as well as the seat belt so you may as well leave the seat behind and just try and enjoy the ride.

Jo