British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Travelling to OZ on a Holiday Visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/travelling-oz-holiday-visa-279841/)

RichnKim Jan 25th 2005 11:33 am

Travelling to OZ on a Holiday Visa

Strange one this. But not sure how it will work. WE have our PR visas. Which we are yet to validate. The visas were gained on my wifes skills and it says that the rest of us cannot enter OZ before her.
I have just had an offer of a job interview. So with the PR in my passport. Will it be OK to get an ETA. Or am I going to get a load of grief at immigration. Anyone had to do this ?

Your comments would be great appreicated

Rgds

Richard

wmoore Jan 25th 2005 12:02 pm

Re: Travelling to OZ on a Holiday Visa

Originally Posted by RichnKim
So with the PR in my passport. Will it be OK to get an ETA. Or am I going to get a load of grief at immigration.

I take it that you're planning on going to Oz without the family in this instance? I would tread very carefully! I think the only way will be to contact DIMIA directly and tell them what you plan to do. They may offer you another way.

sassie Jan 25th 2005 12:12 pm

Strange one this. But not sure how it will work. WE have our PR visas. Which we are yet to validate. The visas were gained on my wifes skills and it says that the rest of us cannot enter OZ before her.
I have just had an offer of a job interview. So with the PR in my passport. Will it be OK to get an ETA. Or am I going to get a load of grief at immigration. Anyone had to do this ?

Rgds

Richard

Hi there. not sure if this is the same situation or not, but when we were granted our spouse visas, my partner wanted to go out to oz before validation, and we enquired whether he could travel on an ETA. The answer was that it was not possible to be in possession of 2 visas at the same time. But it may be worth checking with DIMIA anyway.

Grayling Jan 25th 2005 12:23 pm

Rgds

Richard

This has cropped up before.

I think the advice was that an ETA could cancel the other visa :scared:

I am not sure but I would check carefully

Good luck

G

RichnKim Jan 25th 2005 12:38 pm

Thanks for your quick replies. I have contacted the Oz high commission in London. They suggested I email a department to see what is or is not possible.

I will keep you all posted a this must happen every now and then.

If anybody else has a similar expereince please share.

Rgds

Richard

Grayling Jan 25th 2005 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Grayling
This has cropped up before.

I think the advice was that an ETA could cancel the other visa :scared:

I am not sure but I would check carefully

Good luck

G

Seems that an ETA USED to cancel a PR visa.

You can not hold both:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=251295

G

Pollyana Jan 25th 2005 1:38 pm

Yep, its been asked twice this week at least on the Immigration forum. An ETA will probably cancel your PR. Your wife will need to travel with you and enter Aus first.

RichnKim Jan 25th 2005 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yep, its been asked twice this week at least on the Immigration forum. An ETA will probably cancel your PR. Your wife will need to travel with you and enter Aus first.

Hi Polly

Thanks for your advice. The job interview is with the Queensland Government mainly down to your handy hints before Christmas

I'll just have to wait until I get there in March I guess

Rgds

Richard

Pollyana Jan 25th 2005 2:10 pm

Hi Polly

Thanks for your advice. The job interview is with the Queensland Government mainly down to your handy hints before Christmas

I'll just have to wait until I get there in March I guess

Rgds

Richard

Glad to help Rich - both now and with the job hints.
Best of luck!! :)

JAJ Jan 26th 2005 11:08 am

Here's the deal:

1. You can't get an ETA as you have a PR visa.
2. If you get a regular tourist visa it will cancel your PR visa.
3. If you try to arrive before your spouse, DIMIA will probably cancel your visa.

Put together the above, and the solution is for your wife to come with you when you go to Australia for the interview. She can return to the UK while you stay longer - no problem with that - but she must arrive before you. There is no way around that.

Your children, if you have any, must also validate their visas before the first entry date and cannot arrive before your wife.

Jeremy