Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Travelling one way whilst waiting for 457 visa

Travelling one way whilst waiting for 457 visa

Old May 8th 2006, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

liverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to all
Question Travelling one way whilst waiting for 457 visa

We are due to travel to Sydney on a 457 visa with a one way ticket on 14th June (husbands job is supposed to start on 1st July). The only problem is that the visa has not yet arrived. We booked the airline tickets on the advice of our sponsoring company who said they would underwrite the cost if the date had to be changed. Only it’s not as simple as that – we have had to rent the house out from 15th June and have had to book a serviced apartment ahead of time due to the school holidays at the beginning of July so basically we need to be on that plane on 14th June. Hopefully the visa will arrive on time but if it doesn’t the idea we had was to get a tourist visa and book an onward flight to New Zealand for September (3 months later) in the hope that our 457 will arrive before then. If it doesn’t then we would end up going to NZ to live anyway since husbands skills are in dire demand over there. I was wondering if anyone else had been in this situation and what they did.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Old May 8th 2006, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling one way whilst waiting for 457 visa

When did you lodge your 457 visa?

Originally Posted by liverpool girl
We are due to travel to Sydney on a 457 visa with a one way ticket on 14th June (husbands job is supposed to start on 1st July). The only problem is that the visa has not yet arrived. We booked the airline tickets on the advice of our sponsoring company who said they would underwrite the cost if the date had to be changed. Only it’s not as simple as that – we have had to rent the house out from 15th June and have had to book a serviced apartment ahead of time due to the school holidays at the beginning of July so basically we need to be on that plane on 14th June. Hopefully the visa will arrive on time but if it doesn’t the idea we had was to get a tourist visa and book an onward flight to New Zealand for September (3 months later) in the hope that our 457 will arrive before then. If it doesn’t then we would end up going to NZ to live anyway since husbands skills are in dire demand over there. I was wondering if anyone else had been in this situation and what they did.
Old May 8th 2006, 9:57 am
Just Joined

amorris2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I came here on a tourist visa and got the 457 once i was here. No problem. Took a week to get my visa and that was from scratch over here.
Old May 8th 2006, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

liverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by amorris2
I came here on a tourist visa and got the 457 once i was here. No problem. Took a week to get my visa and that was from scratch over here.
But did you travel on a one way ticket??
Old May 8th 2006, 10:37 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

If you have already lodged the application and had meds etc done it shouldnt be a problem - 457's usually only take 4-6 wks to come through.

Are you having to pay for the flight or is your husbands sponsor paying? If they're paying then book a return one - if you're paying still book a return one but get them to pay the difference?

Sorry I cant be much help - we're here on a 457 but it was already accepted by the time we arrived.

Just so you know also (in case you dont) you dont physically have a visa as such when you go through customs on a 457 - it is registered on their computers against your passport number - you have to get the visa sticker put in your passport within the first 4 weeks of arriving.

Rach xxxx

Last edited by tygwyn; May 8th 2006 at 10:37 am. Reason: typo!
Old May 8th 2006, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Luma
When did you lodge your 457 visa?
visa was lodged on 6th April but I think company is getting sponsorship status at the same time so may take longer.
Old May 8th 2006, 10:54 am
Just Joined

amorris2 is an unknown quantity at this point

But did you travel on a one way ticket??
Yes we all travelled on a one way. Myself wife and two grown up kids.
Into Sydney. No problems!
Old May 8th 2006, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

We lodged ours on 3 April. It was granted 4 May. Agent told us on 6 May that we'd got it. Sponsoring company has done sponsoring before and they use their own immigration agency.

visa was lodged on 6th April but I think company is getting sponsorship status at the same time so may take longer.
Old May 8th 2006, 12:23 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't quote me on this but I'm sure I've read somewhere that if you have already applied for one visa and then apply for another one it immediately cancels out the first. You need to check to make sure. If the visa application was sent of at the beginning of April I'm sure it will be back in time.

Tracey
Old May 8th 2006, 12:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tracey brien
Don't quote me on this but I'm sure I've read somewhere that if you have already applied for one visa and then apply for another one it immediately cancels out the first. You need to check to make sure. If the visa application was sent of at the beginning of April I'm sure it will be back in time.

Tracey
Yes, that is correct.

If you have applied for a 457 visa, then want to go earlier, on say a holiday visa, if the 457 was issued before the holiday one then the holiday one would cancel the 457.

If the OP wants to go out early, then they need to inform DIMA of their plans to obtain a different visa.
Old May 8th 2006, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Question Re: Travelling one way whilst waiting for 457 visa

Originally Posted by WendyC
Yes, that is correct.

If you have applied for a 457 visa, then want to go earlier, on say a holiday visa, if the 457 was issued before the holiday one then the holiday one would cancel the 457.

If the OP wants to go out early, then they need to inform DIMA of their plans to obtain a different visa.
Thanks for that. But what if the 457 hasn't been issued but is in processing?
Old May 8th 2006, 12:37 pm
Life is a beach :-)

Susannah&Jens has a spectacular aura aboutSusannah&Jens has a spectacular aura aboutSusannah&Jens has a spectacular aura about
Question Re: Travelling one way whilst waiting for 457 visa

Originally Posted by Luma
We lodged ours on 3 April. It was granted 4 May. Agent told us on 6 May that we'd got it. Sponsoring company has done sponsoring before and they use their own immigration agency.

Hi Luma and all 457ers!

one question about the medicals, did you send them with the application or when DIMA asked for them? Our 457 application was lodged 0n April 18th and today they asked for us to send meds. We were just wondering how long it might take after sending them the reports, because once they request the meds things should be looking good, right?

Cheers Susannah
Old May 8th 2006, 12:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that. But what if the 457 hasn't been issued but is in processing?

Then that's fine. But you need to inform DIMA before you get any other visa just in case.
Old May 8th 2006, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

replied to the other thread you started.

Originally Posted by Susannah&Jens
Hi Luma and all 457ers!

one question about the medicals, did you send them with the application or when DIMA asked for them? Our 457 application was lodged 0n April 18th and today they asked for us to send meds. We were just wondering how long it might take after sending them the reports, because once they request the meds things should be looking good, right?

Cheers Susannah