Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Travelling With Medication

Travelling With Medication

Old Jan 28th 2006, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

WacandJill has a spectacular aura aboutWacandJill has a spectacular aura aboutWacandJill has a spectacular aura about
Default Travelling With Medication

I dont know if this will pose a problem, but thought I would ask you experienced people.
I am on a lot of drugs for rheumatoid arthritis. We will be flying out at the end of February, and shipping our stuff, which apparently takes about 3 months, so I will have to take quite a bit of medication with me in my suitcase.

Does anyone know if this will pose a problem ie think I am smuggling drugs? Do I have to have any accompanying letter from the doctor saying these are prescribed drugs? or just pack and not worry.

I will also be putting some in my contained - again, anyone forsee any problems there?

Many thanks
Jill
Old Jan 28th 2006, 6:47 am
Chelmsford>Leeds>NSW!

lel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nice
Default Re: Travelling With Medication

I know that when I filled in the forms for the shipping, it asked if we were sending any medication in the container and you need to describe what it's and what it's for.

As far as taking it with you on the plane, i'm sure you do need to do something, but I can't answer i'm afraid... I bought over some tablets (4 months worth of contraceptive pill) but didn't declare them because I'm naughty...
Old Jan 28th 2006, 6:57 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WacandJill
I dont know if this will pose a problem, but thought I would ask you experienced people.
I am on a lot of drugs for rheumatoid arthritis. We will be flying out at the end of February, and shipping our stuff, which apparently takes about 3 months, so I will have to take quite a bit of medication with me in my suitcase.

Does anyone know if this will pose a problem ie think I am smuggling drugs? Do I have to have any accompanying letter from the doctor saying these are prescribed drugs? or just pack and not worry.

I will also be putting some in my contained - again, anyone forsee any problems there?

Many thanks
Jill
Hi Jill,

I dont know what drugs you take for your condition, but can I suggest that you check the countries you will be stopping on-route to see that they aren't prohibited drugs in those countries?

We had a major problem last time we flew to the UK as the medication that our boys take is declared a prohibited drug in Thailand, punishable by death :scared: , of course we didnt know that at the time we booked our tickets & it was only 2 or 3 weeks before we left when we were seeing the doctor about a letter etc that he mentioned it. And yep, we had to fly via Thailand, to say trying to get around the problem was unpleasant is the understatement of the year Luckily we got away with it, but it created a huge amount of stress - needless to say we will never be going to Thailand on holidays :scared: .

In general if its a fairly well prescribed drug & if you have a letter from your doctor detailing what you take & dosages, you are generally fine coming into Australia & in most other countries. But it's worth checking anywhere that you will stop on the way (including stops where you dont need to pass through customs) as many asian countries have very very different rules about drugs that you may take for granted.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 7:07 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks
Jill
I would get your doctor to write you a letter confirming what the drugs are (not just the name but the active ingredient) and for what they have been prescribed. That ought to be sufficient (copy the letter and pack it with the medication in the container too). If you want to be certain - you can check with Customs - I am pretty sure there is place on their website where you can email enquiries.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Jan 28th 2006, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

I came here with 3 months supply of several prescription drugs - declared them all, no problem. I typed a list of drugs, reason for taking and dosage so I had all the information easily available. It has proved very useful to hand over whenever I encounter a new doctor. Remember to include supplements and vitamins etc.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 9:25 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

There was a woman arrested recently in Dubai for having some Benzodiazepines (such as Valium etc. which some people take for fear of flying). You shoulds carry a letter from your doctor.

G
Old Jan 28th 2006, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

WacandJill has a spectacular aura aboutWacandJill has a spectacular aura aboutWacandJill has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for that. I will definately go to the Doctors this week for an appropriate letter.

The main tablets I suppose are Methotrexate - this is a cancer drug, but is being used for rheumatoid arthritis also.

I take the usual anti inflammatories, and few more other ones, and also pain killers - perhaps the pain killers (although I take these for granted) may cause problems in themselves.

I had better do alot of checking - good job I asked.

thanks everyone
Jill
Old Jan 28th 2006, 8:34 pm
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for that. I will definately go to the Doctors this week for an appropriate letter.

The main tablets I suppose are Methotrexate - this is a cancer drug, but is being used for rheumatoid arthritis also.

I take the usual anti inflammatories, and few more other ones, and also pain killers - perhaps the pain killers (although I take these for granted) may cause problems in themselves.

I had better do alot of checking - good job I asked.

thanks everyone
Jill
Hi My sister had to empty out her case. She takes lots of tablets for her back as she is disabled. She was told that anything that contained Codeine was not allowed through Dubai, even though all she was doing was re-fueling and the case wasn't even coming off the plane.

Whilst at Manchester Airport she had to put all the tablets in an envelope and address them to me in Oz.

Louise
Old Jan 29th 2006, 8:49 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ljj
Hi My sister had to empty out her case. She takes lots of tablets for her back as she is disabled. She was told that anything that contained Codeine was not allowed through Dubai, even though all she was doing was re-fueling and the case wasn't even coming off the plane.

Whilst at Manchester Airport she had to put all the tablets in an envelope and address them to me in Oz.

Louise
Yep thats the sort of thing I mean, codeine in Australia is sold over the counter up to 15mg combined with paracetaol, yet its illegal in Dubai, & many other countries wont sell it without prescription (Italy & the US are 2 that spring to mind). Simple basic medication that most of us wouldnt even think twice about.

It's always worth checking the places you are flying through .