Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

travelling with kids

travelling with kids

Old Nov 16th 2002, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

mxqth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default travelling with kids

I just want to share some of my experiences while relocating to Australia with my family. The advice that was passed to me by other forum members was vital and I would like to share those tips and some new ones about this matter.
If you have an infant, when you get tickets ask for front seats. It will be much more confortable for you. Also the baby gets a cot which is attached to the wall, in front of you. (I travelled Austrian but I think that most companies can offer this). If have a bit of freedom to choose the date, try to travell while the baby is 3-4 moths old because it sleeps more and is less sensitive to noise and other stimulus.
If you a have a 2y+ child you can lay a thick matress down on your feet so that the child can sleep confortable.
I know that most people are reluctant but consider sedating your child. Phenobarbital is one of the few medicines which is (strangely) better tolerated by the kids (including infants) than by the adults. Ask your chemist for details.
Ask a friend/contact to wait for you on arrival, you will be exhausted as you won't get much sleep. Even if your kids will sleep the second half of the journey the other people's kids won't, and they are next to you.
If you arrive before the baby is 13 weeks old you should ask centrelink for maternity allowance, an one-off payment of ~750 $.

Good luck!
Old Nov 16th 2002, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: travelling with kids

They are called bassonets (not sure of spelling)
Our friends wouldn't have survived their many flights without this..

Thanks also for the other info, our youngest will be about 2.5 when we go so although we will have to pay for her seat, she will hopefully be okay, watch TV, eat and sleep..

Mash.

Originally posted by mxqth
I just want to share some of my experiences while relocating to Australia with my family. The advice that was passed to me by other forum members was vital and I would like to share those tips and some new ones about this matter.
If you have an infant, when you get tickets ask for front seats. It will be much more confortable for you. Also the baby gets a cot which is attached to the wall, in front of you. (I travelled Austrian but I think that most companies can offer this). If have a bit of freedom to choose the date, try to travell while the baby is 3-4 moths old because it sleeps more and is less sensitive to noise and other stimulus.
If you a have a 2y+ child you can lay a thick matress down on your feet so that the child can sleep confortable.
I know that most people are reluctant but consider sedating your child. Phenobarbital is one of the few medicines which is (strangely) better tolerated by the kids (including infants) than by the adults. Ask your chemist for details.
Ask a friend/contact to wait for you on arrival, you will be exhausted as you won't get much sleep. Even if your kids will sleep the second half of the journey the other people's kids won't, and they are next to you.
If you arrive before the baby is 13 weeks old you should ask centrelink for maternity allowance, an one-off payment of ~750 $.

Good luck!
Old Nov 16th 2002, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

No airline will allow any child or adult to sleep on the floor.

Far too dangerous and they will be straight on to you about it. Imagine if it was allowed you would have hundreds of people sprawled out on the floor.

Book any child a seat, it will be a complete nightmare having to hold a wriggling toddler on your lap for 24 hours.
Old Nov 17th 2002, 3:13 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Agree ref booking hte seat for the toddler for longhaul fligths - we take our car seat on board for our 18month old. strap it to the airline seat, then put our son in it - much safer than just putting him on the seat with the adult lap belt.

By the way, agree with your comments ref safety of sleeping on the floor, but disagree with the comment that airlines wont allow it - on our last flight on KLM, the stewardess actually suggested it, and provided 2 kiddies sleeping bags - one as a mattress, and the other to sleep in!
Old Nov 17th 2002, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Thats interesting KLM allowed it. On Qantas last time, couple in front of us tried it with a little girl. Hostess got most stroppy, then another employee came up and they got a lecture on safety, airline liability and a graphic account of the injuries that could be sustained in Turbulence. Anyway wish I could try it the floor looks more comfy than those economy size seats.
Old Nov 17th 2002, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

mxqth is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dotty
Thats interesting KLM allowed it. On Qantas last time, couple in front of us tried it with a little girl. Hostess got most stroppy, then another employee came up and they got a lecture on safety, airline liability and a graphic account of the injuries that could be sustained in Turbulence. Anyway wish I could try it the floor looks more comfy than those economy size seats.
On our flight, I think that at some moment there were 6-7 kids and one pregnant lady lying on the floor. they all had pillows and sleeping bags from the attendants. Some more on the back of the plane. Lucky there were not serious turbulences.
Anyway, 2 years from now, when we'll be going to visit the grans we fly the same line.
Old Nov 18th 2002, 12:42 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure KLM are too hot on safety - we flew them in early October last year (ie a few weeks after 911) and the cockpit door was open (and I mean propped open, not just unlocked!) for most of the flight!