British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Travelling with a dog from the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/travelling-dog-uk-942715/)

ashley207 Feb 9th 2022 8:13 am

Travelling with a dog from the UK

We are just about to put in our main visa application and are looking over costs again. Can anyone recommend reputable companies in the UK for shipping my dog over, best places to look for information and any advice from anyone that has any experience of doing this.
I’m aware most places require sizes etc to give you quotes but she’s a puppy so is still growing. It’s more looking for decent companies so I can get a rough idea by contacting them.

verystormy Feb 10th 2022 5:20 am

Re: Travelling with a dog from the UK

Pet Air are one of the best and owned by vets. Bob, the owner is incredibly helpful

Mrs M Feb 14th 2022 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by ashley207 (Post 13093536)
We are just about to put in our main visa application and are looking over costs again. Can anyone recommend reputable companies in the UK for shipping my dog over, best places to look for information and any advice from anyone that has any experience of doing this.
I’m aware most places require sizes etc to give you quotes but she’s a puppy so is still growing. It’s more looking for decent companies so I can get a rough idea by contacting them.

We shipped our dog in 2009 it cost 5k for the long quarantine and costs. The dog was about 4 years old and with hindsight it wasn't a good idea I wish I had re-homed him in the U.K. For many reasons.

nhs84 Apr 29th 2022 1:00 am

I used Jason’s Pet Relocation and they were amazing. Especially since we wanted to break up the journey so actually imported my dog into Singapore first and then Australia a few days later.

verystormy Apr 29th 2022 4:26 am

Another vote for Pet Air. Bob is also a vet.

UKmitch86 Jun 22nd 2022 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by ashley207 (Post 13093536)

Did you ever get this resolved? I'm trying to get my Shih Tzu over and most places are saying they can't take them at the moment.

ashley207 Jun 29th 2022 9:44 pm

Hi,

No, I had stopped looking as we were waiting for word on our visas. We’ve just had this granted so I’ll be looking in to it again. Hopefully this has resolved as we hope to move this side of Christmas.

Have you had any luck since?

Ashley

annabod Dec 20th 2022 9:33 pm

I will be moving from UK to USA in June. I would like take my 2 shih tzu with me. Do you have any advise?

spouse of scouse Dec 20th 2022 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by annabod (Post 13161099)
I will be moving from UK to USA in June. I would like take my 2 shih tzu with me. Do you have any advise?

Hi, this is the Australia forum, you want the US forum here https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/

Mehz Jan 1st 2023 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Mrs M (Post 13094713)
We shipped our dog in 2009 it cost 5k for the long quarantine and costs. The dog was about 4 years old and with hindsight it wasn't a good idea I wish I had re-homed him in the U.K. For many reasons.

Hello,
We are looking at options to take our dog.. I have been quoted 7k without cost of Quarrtine and an internal flight Melbourne -Perth after 10 days Quarratine.

TBH although it's expensive I am worried about my dog and the whole experince. He already has seperation anxiety and is dog reactive. I am interested in your experince to make an informed decision. I know that I would never let him stay in Kennels in the UK without seeing them first and making sure that he will be cared for!

Thanks

Mrs M Jan 2nd 2023 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Mehz (Post 13162783)
Hello,
We are looking at options to take our dog.. I have been quoted 7k without cost of Quarrtine and an internal flight Melbourne -Perth after 10 days Quarratine.

TBH although it's expensive I am worried about my dog and the whole experince. He already has seperation anxiety and is dog reactive. I am interested in your experince to make an informed decision. I know that I would never let him stay in Kennels in the UK without seeing them first and making sure that he will be cared for!

Thanks

As I said in my previous message with hindsight I wish I had re homed our dog. One way to look at it is to think what is best for the dog and not the family. Our dog was completely traumatised by the experience of Quarantine in fact when we first went to meet him he was looking very sad I think settling with a new loving family is less traumatising for a dog than taking them through the process.
Its the long quarantine that's the issue and I don't fully understand the need for it. Surely in this day and age a dog can be fully tested before travelling I think it would be interesting to know if any dogs have actually been in quarantine and been found to have some disease that's a threat to Australia I very much doubt it I think its a scam actually.
We put our needs before the needs of our dog he should have been re-homed with a loving family living in an environment he was used to. Thats my view.

spouse of scouse Jan 2nd 2023 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Mrs M (Post 13162833)
Its the long quarantine that's the issue and I don't fully understand the need for it. Surely in this day and age a dog can be fully tested before travelling I think it would be interesting to know if any dogs have actually been in quarantine and been found to have some disease that's a threat to Australia I very much doubt it I think its a scam actually.

Yes, dogs and cats in Australia quarantine have been found to have diseases that threaten the domestic animal population, with some of those also transmissable to humans. Rabies is one of these diseases, it's not present in Australia and I'd like it to stay that way!

I can't post the link to the report I read as it's a Word document, but if you search for something like 'diseases detected in quarantined animals in Australia' you should find the report. There were 18 cases of dogs and cats in Australian quarantine found to have a notifiable disease between 2010 and 2018.

Australia does require an import permit for animals being imported into Australia, with vaccinations, tests, laboratory reports etc being required before a permit is issued. But some cases obviously slip through, perhaps through incompetence on the part of the examining vet in the country of origin, a bit of sleight of hand, or simply because the animal's status changed from negative to positive in the period between its examinations overseas and those in Australian quarantine.

I know quarantine is a pain in the arse, as well as the pocket, but I'm afraid it's one of the conditions of moving your pet here and protecting Australia's biosecurity.

Mrs M Jan 5th 2023 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 13162852)
Yes, dogs and cats in Australia quarantine have been found to have diseases that threaten the domestic animal population, with some of those also transmissable to humans. Rabies is one of these diseases, it's not present in Australia and I'd like it to stay that way!

I can't post the link to the report I read as it's a Word document, but if you search for something like 'diseases detected in quarantined animals in Australia' you should find the report. There were 18 cases of dogs and cats in Australian quarantine found to have a notifiable disease between 2010 and 2018.

Australia does require an import permit for animals being imported into Australia, with vaccinations, tests, laboratory reports etc being required before a permit is issued. But some cases obviously slip through, perhaps through incompetence on the part of the examining vet in the country of origin, a bit of sleight of hand, or simply because the animal's status changed from negative to positive in the period between its examinations overseas and those in Australian quarantine.

I know quarantine is a pain in the arse, as well as the pocket, but I'm afraid it's one of the conditions of moving your pet here and protecting Australia's biosecurity.

No dogs or cats have had rabies in the u.k. since 1922 only animals in Quarantine.

You quoted ... 18 cats and dogs in 2010 and 2018 but did not say which country they came from? I have never ever heard of a case of rabies in the u.k. in my lifetime. Rats off of ships are far more likely to bring in disease compared to domestic pets. I think 6 month quarantine is too much personally and that's my opinion. If animals are completely screened both sides then a shorter quarantine could be considered.
If you like searching out actual facts can you please tell us of diseases that domestic animals from the u.k had which ended up in Australia? I doubt it.

old.sparkles Jan 5th 2023 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by Mrs M (Post 13163695)
......I think 6 month quarantine is too much personally and that's my opinion.....

Where does the 6 months you are quoting come from? Current requirements are a minimum of 10 days where reasons will be needed for more than 10 days - https://www.agriculture.gov.au/biose...-cats-and-dogs

spouse of scouse Jan 5th 2023 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by Mrs M (Post 13163695)
No dogs or cats have had rabies in the u.k. since 1922 only animals in Quarantine.

You quoted ... 18 cats and dogs in 2010 and 2018 but did not say which country they came from? I have never ever heard of a case of rabies in the u.k. in my lifetime. Rats off of ships are far more likely to bring in disease compared to domestic pets. I think 6 month quarantine is too much personally and that's my opinion. If animals are completely screened both sides then a shorter quarantine could be considered.
If you like searching out actual facts can you please tell us of diseases that domestic animals from the u.k had which ended up in Australia? I doubt it.

Quarantine is 10 days, not 6 months.

My post was a reply to the part of your quote I posted, I thought it might be helpful. I didn't realise your main interest was rabies, and only from the UK. Given the combative tone of your final paragraph above I'm afraid I won't be wasting any more time on this.