Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Travelling back home with a 3 month old baby

Travelling back home with a 3 month old baby

Old Nov 26th 2013, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

Gussy is a name known to allGussy is a name known to allGussy is a name known to allGussy is a name known to allGussy is a name known to allGussy is a name known to allGussy is a name known to allGussy is a name known to allGussy is a name known to allGussy is a name known to allGussy is a name known to all
Default Travelling back home with a 3 month old baby

Hey guys,

Myself and my partner are heading from Brisbane back to Ireland in 3 weeks time. We have a stroller and capsule system for him (A Steelcraft Agile) As far as I'm aware do we have to check these in for the journey and rely on airport prams to get by? It doesn't seem that we can take the stroller / capsule up to the gate and then get it checked in like you can on many domestic flights. As we have a 7 hour stop over in Singapore, we really would like our own stroller / capsule without having to to get one at Brisbane when we check our own one in, one at Singapore and one at London while we wait (all the while having to carry baby around while we get access to an airport provided one)

Has anyone encountered this situation before?

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 26th 2013, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of
Default Re: Travelling back home with a 3 month old baby

Originally Posted by Gussy
Hey guys,

Myself and my partner are heading from Brisbane back to Ireland in 3 weeks time. We have a stroller and capsule system for him (A Steelcraft Agile) As far as I'm aware do we have to check these in for the journey and rely on airport prams to get by? It doesn't seem that we can take the stroller / capsule up to the gate and then get it checked in like you can on many domestic flights. As we have a 7 hour stop over in Singapore, we really would like our own stroller / capsule without having to to get one at Brisbane when we check our own one in, one at Singapore and one at London while we wait (all the while having to carry baby around while we get access to an airport provided one)

Has anyone encountered this situation before?

Thanks in advance
From my experience you can normally take a stroller up to the gate and if it folds flat they some times let you put it on the main plane (as opposed to in the hold) so that you can get it when you disembark. This will depend on how busy the the plane is. The issue will be the capsule which they will probably want to check in for the whole trip to Ireland (ie you won't get it back in Singapore or London). Maybe check to see if you can get a stroller type that does not need a capsule so that you can get access to it all of the way through.

I assume you have already booked bulk head seats with a bassinet?
Old Nov 26th 2013, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

Gussy is a name known to allGussy is a name known to allGussy is a name known to allGussy is a name known to allGussy is a name known to allGussy is a name known to allGussy is a name known to allGussy is a name known to allGussy is a name known to allGussy is a name known to allGussy is a name known to all

Thanks for the advice. I've been hearing good things about a good sling as well in the event that airlines want to check everything in. And yes, we have booked bulkhead seats for all the journey which will make it a bit easier hopefully!
Old Nov 27th 2013, 7:17 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice. I've been hearing good things about a good sling as well in the event that airlines want to check everything in. And yes, we have booked bulkhead seats for all the journey which will make it a bit easier hopefully!
I've known people have their bulkhead seats reallocated. If the airline allows online check-in (most of them do these days, 24 hours before the flight departs), make sure you get in and secure them early, else try to be towards the front of the queue when the airport flight check-in begins.

Have a good trip.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 9:32 am
Just Joined

abc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud of

Most airlines will allow a stroller (foldable) to be taken into the cabin. If unsure, it is best to check the airlines website.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by paulry
I've known people have their bulkhead seats reallocated. If the airline allows online check-in (most of them do these days, 24 hours before the flight departs), make sure you get in and secure them early, else try to be towards the front of the queue when the airport flight check-in begins.

Have a good trip.
Our bulkhead seats are booked for all the journey (confirmed in the "manage your booking" section in our itinerary.) Surely they couldn't reallocate seats especially when travelling with a baby?
Old Nov 27th 2013, 10:44 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Our bulkhead seats are booked for all the journey (confirmed in the "manage your booking" section in our itinerary.) Surely they couldn't reallocate seats especially when travelling with a baby?
It looks like the seats are safely reserved for you but I would still do the online check-in 24 hours beforehand - just as a double check.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of

I am afraid it is only certain (per sector) once your proverbial bumbs are on the seats. So get there early and check that the seats you are allocated are where you think they will be and hope there is not a plane change with a different configuration
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

My wife and I traveled back to Ireland with a 3 month old with Singapore airlines in September, we never bothered with a capsule or Stroller as my Brother had these available for us to use. My wife carried our daughter in a baby bjorn and she also had a sling available as well.

Our stop over in Changi was 2 hours, then 3 in Heathrow before continuing to Dublin.

Singapore were fantastic, they were really helpful. In Sydney at the checkin they give us an Express card that I usually get when flying business gets you through the quick lines at immigration and security. We were also well over in weight but seemed to ignore this since we didn't have a pram.

Also you will be always the first onboard, they usually give you a good 5 or 10 mins to get sorted before everyone is walking all over you.

On board A380 the bulkhead seats give plenty of room for your legs, but the bassinet takes up a fair chunk of room. Bring some light blankets to line the bassinet with.

Try to get up stairs if you can as its quicker to get in and out.

Staff are very accommodating, luckily my wife feeds herself so no need to make up bottles she actually bought one of those breast feeding blankets for $15 was the best $15 she ever spent.

Coming home we were ridiculously overweight, we actually brought back a rocking horse (a gift) plus we loaded the box with the endless amount of clothes that we were given and my wife bought. (no joke box was oversize and 19kg)

Air lingus just checked it through and we had no problems.

allowance was 23 + 23 +10
Syd-Dub we were 21+27+13
Dub-Syd we were 23+28+14+19

No problem.