Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Travelling with BA

Travelling with BA

Old Dec 16th 2007, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Travelling with BA

My husband is travelling back from UK with Qantas, but the leg from Heathrow to Singapore is with BA. He looked on their website for luggage allowances and it states that you can only take one piece of luggage up to 32kg. This is a mistake on the website but he has phoned them and they have said that although it is a mistake, they have to accept this amount of luggage at no extra charge.

Just thought this might be useful for other people to know. He has printed it out from the website to be on the safe side.

Amanda
Old Dec 16th 2007, 9:41 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling with BA

You may wish to check whether this applies to the onward flight to Australia before he gets charges 10 squillion dollars at Singapore......
Old Dec 17th 2007, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
You may wish to check whether this applies to the onward flight to Australia before he gets charges 10 squillion dollars at Singapore......
He had been given 30kg anyway with Qantas and was miffed that he could not get it on the BA portion of the flight, so he is pleased he checked the website.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 4:31 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

I just checked their site and it still says 23kg then you look further down and you get this.....

*Overweight bags effective November 2008

In accordance with the UK Health and Safety Executive’s recommendation on the maximum weight for checked baggage, British Airways has introduced a limit of 23kg (51lbs) for any single checked bag as part of your free baggage allowance.

We understand that there are times when you will need to exceed this limit. Therefore, from November 2008, a flat fee of £25 GBP will be applied to bags weighing more than 23kg (51lbs). This charge is to cover the additional handling that bags weighing over 23kg (51lbs) can attract.

Until this charge is implemented, we will continue to accept a single piece of baggage weighing up to 32kg (70lbs) without charge.

Please note that we will not accept a bag heavier than 32kg (70lbs) as checked baggage.

hmmm, must get my Mum to call them before she flies next month.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=herrchook;5675933]

Until this charge is implemented, we will continue to accept a single piece of baggage weighing up to 32kg (70lbs) without charge.

This is the statement that is incorrect, but the lady at Heathrow says as it states this on their website they are having to accept cases of this weight with no extra charge.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 7:15 am
Just Joined

julesmc will become famous soon enough

I might be mistaken but I think that the 'no charge' means no 'handling' charge for a bag that's classed as heavy for health & safety purposes. However, I think there would still be an excess baggage charge payable if the bag is heavier than the free allowance which is the amount stated when you purchase your ticket.

As I say, I might be wrong (I'm no expert!) but it might be worth clarifying that there will be no excess baggage charge as opposed to a handling charge with BA.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by julesmc
I might be mistaken but I think that the 'no charge' means no 'handling' charge for a bag that's classed as heavy for health & safety purposes. However, I think there would still be an excess baggage charge payable if the bag is heavier than the free allowance which is the amount stated when you purchase your ticket.

As I say, I might be wrong (I'm no expert!) but it might be worth clarifying that there will be no excess baggage charge as opposed to a handling charge with BA.

My husband rang BA and actually got someone who works at check in. She says that they have to accept one case up to 32kg with no extra charge because of the mistake on the website.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

ulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant future

I assume you are posting up because he is flying economy and wouldnt normally get that much? 32kg is the maximum for Health and Safety per single bag currently regardless of class. 20kg was the allowance last time I flew internationally (last year) in economy, but with Singapore Airlines, after adhering to the limit religiously the first time I flew, I can quite comfortably get away with between 25-28kg per passenger. They are an awesome airline and know how to look after their passengers.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ulpul
I assume you are posting up because he is flying economy and wouldnt normally get that much? 32kg is the maximum for Health and Safety per single bag currently regardless of class. 20kg was the allowance last time I flew internationally (last year) in economy, but with Singapore Airlines, after adhering to the limit religiously the first time I flew, I can quite comfortably get away with between 25-28kg per passenger. They are an awesome airline and know how to look after their passengers.
He usually does the flight around 6 times a year with Singapore Airlines but he could not get a seat this time as he went at relatively short notice. He is usually allowed 40kg as he has his Kris gold card.
I posted purely as I thought that some people might find the information useful.