Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Travelling around Oz with a dog?

Travelling around Oz with a dog?

Old Mar 1st 2009, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

Meg27 has a brilliant futureMeg27 has a brilliant futureMeg27 has a brilliant futureMeg27 has a brilliant futureMeg27 has a brilliant futureMeg27 has a brilliant futureMeg27 has a brilliant future
Default Travelling around Oz with a dog?

We have decided to only bring our dog, rather than our two cats aswell, which has been heartbreaking but I think it is the right decision...

One of the reasons for this is that we hope that we will be able to go on road trips and camping trips and take the dog with us rather than having the hassle of finding kennels/sitters for the cats and being limited by that.

But I have wondered how easy/difficult it might be travelling from state to state with the dog? Is there any regulations? And what about campsites, is it hard to find campsites that allow dogs?

I love the idea of buying an old van and setting off just the two of us and our lovely doggy for a few months to explore our new country...

Has anyone done this?
Old Mar 1st 2009, 11:29 pm
Just Joined

linabey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Travelling around Oz with a dog?

Bear in mind that dogs are not allowed in National Parks, and a lot of the best campsites and scenery etc are in those...
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 1:12 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meg27
We have decided to only bring our dog, rather than our two cats aswell, which has been heartbreaking but I think it is the right decision...

One of the reasons for this is that we hope that we will be able to go on road trips and camping trips and take the dog with us rather than having the hassle of finding kennels/sitters for the cats and being limited by that.

But I have wondered how easy/difficult it might be travelling from state to state with the dog? Is there any regulations? And what about campsites, is it hard to find campsites that allow dogs?

I love the idea of buying an old van and setting off just the two of us and our lovely doggy for a few months to explore our new country...

Has anyone done this?
Yes I did it, and it was a nightmare. If your going to do it with a dog make sure you do it out of season and not during school holidays. We found it almost impossible to find a campsite that was both available and then would take dogs.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 1:17 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.lovemelovemydog.com.au

Old Mar 2nd 2009, 1:49 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by arkon
Yes I did it, and it was a nightmare.
Its a bit harder but I have done it heaps - busy and quiet times. Interesting challenges! There are places - how big is your dog? Small dogs are easier in own van. that said I have a very large dog and I just call tourist info before I get to each place and ring around as we are driving. Never slept by the side of the road yet!

I have a huge list of dog friendly accomodation for my new site revamp with thousands of entries, just have to get it together if it will help.

We go to national parks, sometimes we play dumb, sometimes we keep him in the car with the air con on dependent on how many people are around. Australia is so not dog friendly national park wise. Occasionally we call dont fret pet and get a day sitter!

Vivienne
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of

It's not like the UK, forget the idea of going for nice scenic walks with your dog, in most cases it isn't going to happen. When we go out for the day unfortunately we tend to leave our 2 dogs at home. You aren't even allowed to drive into many national park areas with a dog in the car, let alone let them out for a pee!!
Dogs here are exercised on lead around the road or along some beaches, in summer early in the morning or after 7pm when its dark! or in one of the few leash free areas which are often no more than a small fenced playing field that nobody else wants. They can be so boring if you have to use the same one day after day.
Some cafes are great and provide a bowl of water if you sit outside but others won't even let you have your dog on the premises. It can be a nightmare if you don't know where you are going. We were at a small restaurant the other week and a woman came in and asked if she could have her small dog on the outside terrace by the road, they said NO, she would have to leave it in the car, it was 43 degrees!!!!! and there was no shade. I was furious for her and said so. I felt like reporting them to the RSPCA for even suggesting it. But she had to turn round and leave. They weren't even busy, I can see why now. Not everywhere is as bad but you will come across it unfortunately. Its true Australia is not really very dog friendly and I think touring with one could be very stressful. Its a real shame because we would love to do road trips with ours, but I don't think we will, not without serious planning anyway and that takes all the spontaneity out of it.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 11:25 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smartinis
...Its true Australia is not really very dog friendly...
I'd agree with that, unfortunately...
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 11:42 pm

I found brisbane not dog friendly - I found Sydney and the Sunshine coast very dog friendly. We take our dog to the beach daily - at all times of the day.

There are maps available at each tourist information with details of dog access - beaches etc. We just go and then pop in on our way into any town and see what is on.

We always take the dog in to the parks in the car, have never had an issue but its my pet hate subject.

We never go to dog parks - they stink!

Viv
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by viviennef
I found brisbane not dog friendly - I found Sydney and the Sunshine coast very dog friendly. We take our dog to the beach daily - at all times of the day.

There are maps available at each tourist information with details of dog access - beaches etc. We just go and then pop in on our way into any town and see what is on.

We always take the dog in to the parks in the car, have never had an issue but its my pet hate subject.

We never go to dog parks - they stink!

Viv
Thanks for the info, we live in Victoria and rangers patrol all the beaches and parks. Are you legally allowed to take your dogs on the beaches etc or do you just go ahead anyway (I know a lot of people who do that here as well, but its huge fines if you get caught potentially, apart from the embarrasment of being caught). If there are no restrictions in other states then it would be useful to know. I know we went to WA last year and although we didn't have our dogs with us I still noticed the same sort of restrictions as in Vic. If we can tour NSW and Qld with our dogs then this really is good news, but I won't take them if they are not allowed.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:44 am

There are beaches designated - off leash all day, on leash between 10 and 4 off leash otherwise, on leash all times, no dogs etc.

most patrolled beaches are no dogs.

We dont tend to break the rules either, I can't be bothered with the hassle - 3 kids, dog, and a grumpy warden!

We found pet friendly places harder to find in the SC before we moved here but once you are here its quite pet friendly. NSW - we lived there but there is even a hotel in sydney centre that takes dogs!

Vivienne
Old Mar 4th 2009, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by viviennef
There are beaches designated - off leash all day, on leash between 10 and 4 off leash otherwise, on leash all times, no dogs etc.

most patrolled beaches are no dogs.

We dont tend to break the rules either, I can't be bothered with the hassle - 3 kids, dog, and a grumpy warden!

We found pet friendly places harder to find in the SC before we moved here but once you are here its quite pet friendly. NSW - we lived there but there is even a hotel in sydney centre that takes dogs!

Vivienne
Thanks for the info, Vivienne. The beaches are designated here as well, but it can get very complicated as rules change with daylight savings and our no dogs or on leash only periods are much longer than yours 9am -7pm most of the time. Leash free beaches exsist, I'm lucky to have one near me but on the whole they are rare. I think things may improve for dog owners if the "few" would pick up after their dogs, it really annoys me that even in the leash free parks people don't bother. It gives all dog owners such a bad name.

We'll have to try a short trip with the hounds and see how we find it, if we can ever afford to get away that is!!
Old Mar 4th 2009, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

humpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nice

We live on Gold coast and have found 2 beaches that you can exercise your dog off lead, Go onto goldcoastcity.com.au and search for dog walks, it lists all off lead areas on the gold coast.