Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Travelling with a 5 month old !!!!!!

Travelling with a 5 month old !!!!!!

Old Oct 30th 2005, 6:28 pm
zen
Forum Regular

zen has a spectacular aura aboutzen has a spectacular aura aboutzen has a spectacular aura about
Default Travelling with a 5 month old !!!!!!

Help - I need some advice!

Me and my partner have got to go and validate our visa's in Melbourne with our 5 month old at the end of Nov. We've booked our flights with United Airlines (no idea what they are like!). We're planning to stop off in New York for 4 nights then off to Melb for 11 nights and back again to Manchester. I'm sooooo worried about runining my baby's sleep routine. Any tips/advice most welcome! By the way has anyone used United Airlines and if so what was your experience with them?

Zen
eek:
Old Oct 30th 2005, 6:47 pm
Craig & Sarah

bigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nice
Default Re: Travelling with a 5 month old !!!!!!

Originally Posted by zen

Me and my partner have got to go and validate our visa's in Melbourne with our 5 month old at the end of Nov. We've booked our flights with United Airlines (no idea what they are like!). We're planning to stop off in New York for 4 nights then off to Melb for 11 nights and back again to Manchester. I'm sooooo worried about runining my baby's sleep routine. Any tips/advice most welcome! By the way has anyone used United Airlines and if so what was your experience with them?

Zen
eek:
We have flown united before and they were good, apart from having to sit on the plane in chicago for five hours!!! due to a storm:scared: not their problem, My wife flew to oz from LA and they were sound!!!
Old Oct 30th 2005, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

smallbeagle is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Zen,

From our experience 5 months old is probably the best time to travel with young infants/kids. They are at the stage where they are not demanding (ie like terrible twos), they do not get bored on long flights (> 3 year olds) and they are not on solids (less to carry!).

A few tips:
1. Get a night flight if you could. Then you are not compromising sleep routine, if you are worried about sleep.
2. Make sure you pre-book a bassinet for your baby!
3. Have water bottle or milk ready for take off and landing
4. Have a good night sleep yourself the night before just in case baby doesn't fancy sleeping. Then you won't feel like a zombie yourself.

Don't worry about baby's sleep routine. You are on holiday and when you get back home they will naturally fall back into their normal routine again, taking 3-4 days jet lag into account!

HAve a good trip!
Old Oct 30th 2005, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Auzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really nice

Originally Posted by zen

Zen
eek:
My husband and I travelled to Melbourne 2 yrs ago with our 5 month old son. We flew with British Airways/Qantas direct, with only stopping for re-fueling. We found the cabin crew were great when you travelling with a little one and before take off they did say for us to buzz if you needed milk / food heated. I was still b/feeding which was a bonus and found that feeding during takeoff great to reduce and ear problems. Have you requested a cot yet? If not then get onto your airline asap as there is only a few available per flight. My son slept well during the flight but did take a few days to get adjusted once we arrived and again when we got home. If you have the same luck as us........ we got upgraded to Business Class on the way home, you'll be fine!! Best Wishes
Old Oct 30th 2005, 7:10 pm
zen
Forum Regular

zen has a spectacular aura aboutzen has a spectacular aura aboutzen has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the advice folks! My biggest worry was getting her back into her routine in UK time when we get back. I've never changed her routine as much as this and with her being my first i just don't know what to expect.. My husband keeps trying to reassure me but i'm still a worrier..

By the way I've booked a skycot for her - not sure what the max weight is. She's 11lbs now so i doubt she'll be too big by the time we go. My guess is she'll be 15lbs or so by then..

Thanks for all the advice

zen
x
Old Oct 30th 2005, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Auzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really nice
Smile Re: Travelling with a 5 month old !!!!!!

Originally Posted by zen
Thanks for the advice folks! My biggest worry was getting her back into her routine in UK time when we get back. I've never changed her routine as much as this and with her being my first i just don't know what to expect.. My husband keeps trying to reassure me but i'm still a worrier..

By the way I've booked a skycot for her - not sure what the max weight is. She's 11lbs now so i doubt she'll be too big by the time we go. My guess is she'll be 15lbs or so by then..

Thanks for all the advice

zen
x
Don't worry about her weight .... my son was 9.11lb at birth and continued to grow above average..... I can't remember what the max weight for the cot was but I'm sure he was just over the limit and we had no problems. She'll be fine........ and as for you, on the flight just chill out or your baby will react if your stressed.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 7:44 pm
zen
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Auzziebound
Don't worry about her weight .... my son was 9.11lb at birth and continued to grow above average..... I can't remember what the max weight for the cot was but I'm sure he was just over the limit and we had no problems. She'll be fine........ and as for you, on the flight just chill out or your baby will react if your stressed.

thanks i know i do need to chill out about whole thing. its just nice to know others have been there and have come out the other end so to speak

Zen
x
Old Oct 30th 2005, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

micged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant future

Hi, we travelled to Perth with my son when he was only 4 months. He was on mixed feeding (mainly bottles during the day) by then and so I bought some disposable bottles to take with me on the flight. Although they were different to what he was used to (Avent) they seemed to work really well and we could just toss them as we went along. I had proper bottles with me for the main holiday but on the flights I didn't have to worry about sterilising etc as they were already sterile etc.
He settled into the new pattern very quickly (in both directions). I think that the long flight itself is so disorientating that he was simply glad to know whether it was day or night when he got of the plane so that he could get himself back into a routine.
If you do use formula I know that SMA Gold is available out there but under a different name P56??
Michelle
Old Oct 30th 2005, 8:17 pm
zen
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by micged
Hi, we travelled to Perth with my son when he was only 4 months. He was on mixed feeding (mainly bottles during the day) by then and so I bought some disposable bottles to take with me on the flight. Although they were different to what he was used to (Avent) they seemed to work really well and we could just toss them as we went along. I had proper bottles with me for the main holiday but on the flights I didn't have to worry about sterilising etc as they were already sterile etc.
He settled into the new pattern very quickly (in both directions). I think that the long flight itself is so disorientating that he was simply glad to know whether it was day or night when he got of the plane so that he could get himself back into a routine.
If you do use formula I know that SMA Gold is available out there but under a different name P56??
Michelle
Hi Michelle, its good to know that he settled quickly.. how long did you go out to Perth for and how long did it take for him to get back into his sleep patern once you got home?

Thanks for the tip about the disposable bottles.. I'm using Aptimal first at the moment - do you remember seeing that when you were in oz? I'm planning on taking 2 boxes for her but like you say on the flights its a bit of a mess with regards sterializing stuff..

zenx
Old Oct 31st 2005, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

micged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by zen
Hi Michelle, its good to know that he settled quickly.. how long did you go out to Perth for and how long did it take for him to get back into his sleep patern once you got home?

Thanks for the tip about the disposable bottles.. I'm using Aptimal first at the moment - do you remember seeing that when you were in oz? I'm planning on taking 2 boxes for her but like you say on the flights its a bit of a mess with regards sterializing stuff..

zenx

Hi, I'm sorry but I didn't notice Aptimal whilst I was there. I contacted the SMA helpline to ask what it was called in Aus, I imagine that if you do the same with Aptimal they will be able to let you know if it is sold there.
It only took him a couple of nights to get back into his sleep pattern when we returned, we had been over there for 4 weeks but did a lot of travelling, Perth-Margaret River-Perth-Sydney-Whit Sundays-Brisbane-Perth, staying a few nights in each. He was great at settling and sleeping very well in strange cots. They are so adaptable, I am sure that your little girl will be fine.
Michelle