Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

travelling with 2 passports advice please

travelling with 2 passports advice please

Old Dec 11th 2008, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light
Default travelling with 2 passports advice please

My current passport with the PR visa in runs out in January 09 and we emigrate to Australia in April 09. Have asked before and most people say you just travel with your old/new passport together.

Could be that I'm getting jitterry but the reply from our passport office has me worried about getting refused entry to Australia...........can anyone who has travelled with two just explain to me in plain English what I do, head is full and not taking anything is so appoligise if answer is there and I'm just not seeing it

Thanks for any help......

This is their response;

If you are renewing a passport, which includes a Visa that is needed for travel purposes, you can request that the Visa page is not cancelled: This applies to both an expired passport and one where all the pages are full.
a) Send passport in for a renewal
b) Include a covering letter to state that there is a visa on page?? that it is needed for travel.
c) The Examiner should cancel the passport by cutting the front and back covers, and the bio details page if a recently issued passport where these details are on a separate page in the passport.. Once cancelled the passport is no longer valid for travel, but this may not stop a foreign country permitting entry to a person who holds a valid visa in a cancelled passport
d) You will receive a new passport back valid for travel as well as the old passport, provided the previous passport is not damaged.
e) You must then contact the Embassy of the Country that the Visa was issued by and ask if they are able to let you travel with a valid passport with no Visa and a cancelled/expired passport that has the visa (Page not cancelled).
f) You will not be allowed to travel on the expired passport, and so if entry is agreed it means that you will have to carry two passports.
g) If Embassy does not accept this, you will need to make arrangements for a new visa.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 2:33 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: travelling with 2 passports advice please

Originally Posted by marvinc View Post
My current passport with the PR visa in runs out in January 09 and we emigrate to Australia in April 09. Have asked before and most people say you just travel with your old/new passport together.

Could be that I'm getting jitterry but the reply from our passport office has me worried about getting refused entry to Australia...........can anyone who has travelled with two just explain to me in plain English what I do, head is full and not taking anything is so appoligise if answer is there and I'm just not seeing it

This is their response;

If you are renewing a passport, which includes a Visa that is needed for travel purposes, you can request that the Visa page is not cancelled: This applies to both an expired passport and one where all the pages are full.
b) Include a covering letter to state that there is a visa on page?? that it is needed for travel.
c) The Examiner should cancel the passport by cutting the front and back covers, and the bio details page if a recently issued passport where these details are on a separate page in the passport.. Once cancelled the passport is no longer valid for travel, but this may not stop a foreign country permitting entry to a person who holds a valid visa in a cancelled passport
d) You will receive a new passport back valid for travel as well as the old passport, provided the previous passport is not damaged.
e) You must then contact the Embassy of the Country that the Visa was issued by and ask if they are able to let you travel with a valid passport with no Visa and a cancelled/expired passport that has the visa (Page not cancelled).
f) You will not be allowed to travel on the expired passport, and so if entry is agreed it means that you will have to carry two passports.
g) If Embassy does not accept this, you will need to make arrangements for a new visa.
Two options - you travel with both passports with the visa in the old one, or you get the new passport then send it to Aus House to get the visa put in the new passport.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

Scozzie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I had this issue a few years ago. I had my out of date EU passport which had the Oz Visa in it, as well as my new valid EU passport. I handed them both over as I left the UK. There was a bit of uncertainty from the girl on the desk, but a senior officer came over and said it was fine. I did get a bit jittery at the point of departure as they took a while to debate which passport number they entered in thier system. It was fine though.

Good luck!
Old Dec 11th 2008, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Scozzie View Post
Hi

I had this issue a few years ago. I had my out of date EU passport which had the Oz Visa in it, as well as my new valid EU passport. I handed them both over as I left the UK. There was a bit of uncertainty from the girl on the desk, but a senior officer came over and said it was fine. I did get a bit jittery at the point of departure as they took a while to debate which passport number they entered in thier system. It was fine though.

Good luck!

Hi there, i recently contacted Australia House with this very same question. They sent me a printed response - which advised to travel with both old and new passport, they said to get a new visa label added to the new passport once in Australia...
What passport number did they enter (presume the old passport no ?).
Old Dec 11th 2008, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

Scozzie is an unknown quantity at this point

They entered the new passport number - because it was the valid one. When I arrived in Oz, they logged both passport numbers and linked the visa number to both. At least that's what I think they did. I was a bit 'dazed' after the flight! It wasn't really an issue though - I wasn't held up or 'taken to one side' or anything.
I'm sure I also asked Australia House what to do, and took their advice of using both passports.
Got my Australian passport now though, so no worries with that any more!
Old Dec 11th 2008, 7:00 pm
Going going.........

Little miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to all

My sons passport was going to expire before we went, so sent it off to Australia House in London with the new passport and they issued a new visa in the new passport. It took about 3 days.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 12:24 am
BE Enthusiast

LIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond repute

We have travelled with my Hubbys Visa in old passport and new passport.

It was Heathrow that was a pain.

They has to ring Australia to confirm it was OK to travel that way.

It took ages to sort, but luckily enough we had plenty of time, and then delayed for 3 hours!

It was stressfull not knowing if they would let us travel, but strangley no one else questioned it at all, only Heathrow.

I would recommend sorting before, or leaving lots of time if if not to check in or you might miss your flight.

LibbyX
Old Dec 12th 2008, 12:30 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LIBBY View Post
We have travelled with my Hubbys Visa in old passport and new passport.

It was Heathrow that was a pain.

They has to ring Australia to confirm it was OK to travel that way.

It took ages to sort, but luckily enough we had plenty of time, and then delayed for 3 hours!

It was stressfull not knowing if they would let us travel, but strangley no one else questioned it at all, only Heathrow.

I would recommend sorting before, or leaving lots of time if if not to check in or you might miss your flight.

LibbyX
Its the airline at Heathrow that have to be careful, as if you end up in Aus and Immigration refuse to accept you, then that airline has to pay the fare to return you to your point of origin - as well as paying a hefty fine.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for all replies and pm's - feeling easier now until the next thing to worry about LOL

x
Old Dec 12th 2008, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

hunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by marvinc View Post

This is their response;

Hi again we also used 2 passports for the same reason as you, Australia house told us they could not put a new visa in the new passport just use both, which we have a couple of times, it was very easy, no holds up for us. My sister-in-law works for an airline and she said it's very common for passengers to use two passports for various reasons.

Claire