Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Traveling to work in Melbourne

Traveling to work in Melbourne

Old Feb 5th 2011, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

Teri33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Traveling to work in Melbourne

Hi, we are moving to Melbourne in June this year. My partner got a job in Fairfield, but I really like to rent a property in Point Cook area. Would it be far to travel every day? If so, are there any nice areas around Fairfield as well? I really like the new builds. Thank you
Old Feb 5th 2011, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traveling to work in Melbourne

Hi Teri, well done on choosing Melbourne

Yes, that's a horrible drive. From Point Cook you'll have to cross the Westgate bridge, which is vile at rush hour, particularly in the direction your partner will be travelling. He'll also have to contend with Hoddle Street, which is equally horrid, or use the citylink which is a toll road. Even with citylink, he'll have to drive through rush hour suburban traffic.

However, I can't help with nice areas around Fairfield for new builds, sorry. You'd be better looking north or east of the city than west, which is where Point Cook is. There are definitely new build areas around there.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 1:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thribble
Hi Teri, well done on choosing Melbourne

Yes, that's a horrible drive. From Point Cook you'll have to cross the Westgate bridge, which is vile at rush hour, particularly in the direction your partner will be travelling. He'll also have to contend with Hoddle Street, which is equally horrid, or use the citylink which is a toll road. Even with citylink, he'll have to drive through rush hour suburban traffic.

However, I can't help with nice areas around Fairfield for new builds, sorry. You'd be better looking north or east of the city than west, which is where Point Cook is. There are definitely new build areas around there.
Blimey where have you been ?

New builds for Fairfield and quickest trip.... South Morang/Mernda/Doreen... although that will be busy in the rush hour... Think the train may actually go that way from South Morang soon.... in fact I'm sure it does.... well Northcote/Rushall..
Old Feb 6th 2011, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

having recently relocated to melbourne, i can honestly say i absolutely dispise melbourne traffic.

it took me 50 minutes to go 11km from south yarra to docklands on friday at peak hour.... drives me insane.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 1:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phat-dave
having recently relocated to melbourne, i can honestly say i absolutely dispise melbourne traffic.

it took me 50 minutes to go 11km from south yarra to docklands on friday at peak hour.... drives me insane.
Possibly better off using public transport. Traffic is starting to become a real issue now.

It's only 10 mins on the Train, South Yarra to Southern Cross
Old Feb 6th 2011, 1:56 am
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

yeah i know, it's appalling... issue is i have a company vehicle and need to take it to work in case i have to duck out
Old Feb 6th 2011, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Blimey where have you been ?
Ha ha. Coburg But I take less than zero notice of new build places as they aren't on PT.

So I second all the comments re public transport. I would never drive into the city unless I have to, and certainly any journey that requires cross-city travel at rush hour is right out (for me). The trams and trains aren't amazing but they run and work and are reasonably quick and easy compared to driving.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 2:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ha ha. Coburg But I take less than zero notice of new build places as they aren't on PT.

So I second all the comments re public transport. I would never drive into the city unless I have to, and certainly any journey that requires cross-city travel at rush hour is right out (for me). The trams and trains aren't amazing but they run and work and are reasonably quick and easy compared to driving.
I Bet you've gained a taste for kebabs now... Hang on yet another Kebab shop is opening up on Sydney Rd

Been to Basfoods yet, its really good... Down next to the Futsal place Victoria st Brunswick.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

There's no land in the east for new builds unless you want to go out Pakenham way. All the land is in the west.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Nice new estate in Epping too......... already on the train line

www.makeyourmovenow.com.au
Old Feb 6th 2011, 7:48 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rossi
Nice new estate in Epping too......... already on the train line

www.makeyourmovenow.com.au
ahhh, that's stretching the truth a little surely ?
Mernda Villages is 12 k from Epping, which is the absolute end of the train line.

As the crow flies, Mernda is 30k NE of the city, close to an hours drive.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

Teri33 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you everyone for your replies. I was looking at the map of Melbourne and Point Cook looks really far from Fairfield. He will probably travel by public transport though so I'm not sure how long that one would take. But still. We need to get there first and look around which area we are gonna like anyway.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 7:13 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teri33
Thank you everyone for your replies. I was looking at the map of Melbourne and Point Cook looks really far from Fairfield. He will probably travel by public transport though so I'm not sure how long that one would take. But still. We need to get there first and look around which area we are gonna like anyway.
Could well be a 2 hour slog on public transport from Pt. Cook to Fairfield.
A mix of train/bus/foot.

Ref the Journey Planner on http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/
Attached Thumbnails Traveling to work in Melbourne-7-02-2011-7.10.16-am.png  
Old Feb 6th 2011, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teri33
There is not really any public transport from Point Cook. Most inhabitants drive to Laverton and park in the huge (500 space) car park at the station. However by about 7.45 all spaces are filled.

And having lived near PC it is not an ideal place to start off in. It is a place you either love or hate...vast houses, tiny gardens and not a lot of local shops. Schools have a pretty poor rep at the moment too.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a map of a selection of land releases in the East/South East. It's not just Pakenham!

http://www.realestate.com.au/new-hom...s-in-vic/map-1

I've driven past The Range in Croydon and it has a lovely outlook (for a new build estate). May be a bit far out for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.