Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Travel/visa Question.

Travel/visa Question.

Old Nov 2nd 2006, 5:35 pm
JB2
Forum Regular

JB2 has a brilliant futureJB2 has a brilliant futureJB2 has a brilliant futureJB2 has a brilliant futureJB2 has a brilliant futureJB2 has a brilliant future
Red face Travel/visa Question.

Hi all, i have a problem. my family and i fly out on saturday night to perth. we land 6/11/06, 00.40hrs. i thought i needed a ETA as IMMI where told by my employer not to start visa until 6/11/06. the guy at the flight company we booked with seems to think we will be ok but hes not 100%. what do you think??? thanks.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 5:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel/visa Question.

Originally Posted by JB2
Hi all, i have a problem. my family and i fly out on saturday night to perth. we land 6/11/06, 00.40hrs. i thought i needed a ETA as IMMI where told by my employer not to start visa until 6/11/06. the guy at the flight company we booked with seems to think we will be ok but hes not 100%. what do you think??? thanks.

Do u currently have a visa? what kind?
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 5:48 pm
JB2
Forum Regular

JB2 has a brilliant futureJB2 has a brilliant futureJB2 has a brilliant futureJB2 has a brilliant futureJB2 has a brilliant futureJB2 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Do u currently have a visa? what kind?
hi, i am going on a 457 visa, but this does not start until monday 6th, that is the day i arrive. but i did'nt want to get to heathrow and they say thats no good!!!
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 5:50 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JB2
hi, i am going on a 457 visa, but this does not start until monday 6th, that is the day i arrive. but i did'nt want to get to heathrow and they say thats no good!!!
You are allowed to leave the UK at any time to go anywhere, you need the visa to pass immigration in Australia...
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 5:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JB2

OK. You land in the country on the day that your visa becomes valid, right?

I think that it'll be fine, I agree with the other poster.

However, if I were in your shoes, i'd call my immigration agent or Australia house/whomever in London.

It will all work out!

Last edited by Ozzidoc; Nov 2nd 2006 at 7:35 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 5:58 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Travel/visa Question.

Originally Posted by busterboy
You are allowed to leave the UK at any time to go anywhere, you need the visa to pass immigration in Australia...
Wrong.

If you don't have a valid visa for Australia you will not be allowed to board the plane in the UK.

If you land on the 6th and your visa is valid for the 6th I do not see any reason why you wouldn't be OK - but I hope one of the agents answers you. Maybe ring DIMA for clarity?

Buzzy
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 7:17 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

We are on a 457 Visa and when it was put in our passports after arrival it was dated from the date of grant not the date of arrival which was a couple of months later.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 7:25 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Wrong.

If you don't have a valid visa for Australia you will not be allowed to board the plane in the UK.

If you land on the 6th and your visa is valid for the 6th I do not see any reason why you wouldn't be OK - but I hope one of the agents answers you. Maybe ring DIMA for clarity?

Buzzy
I feel my hand well and truly slapped..I thought they could leave but not necessarily arrive...
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 7:32 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy
I thought they could leave but not necessarily arrive...

Hmmm and that would leave them where exactly?

The problem is that if an airline delivers a person to a destination who has no right to enter that destination, then they are legally and financially responsible for returning them to whence they came! So every airline will make sure you are legally allowed to enter a country before they let you board.

Buzzy
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 7:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wrong.

Buzzy

But he will have a valid visa - it will be valid as at the scheduled landing time.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 7:40 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
But he will have a valid visa - it will be valid as at the scheduled landing time.
err yes you have just agreed with what I said.

Buzzy
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 7:49 pm
A rather curious boy

Hmmm and that would leave them where exactly?

The problem is that if an airline delivers a person to a destination who has no right to enter that destination, then they are legally and financially responsible for returning them to whence they came! So every airline will make sure you are legally allowed to enter a country before they let you board.

Buzzy
Probably Hong Kong....!

Well I never