Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Travel To/Through the USA without a visa

Travel To/Through the USA without a visa

Old Jan 14th 2010, 7:23 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Travel To/Through the USA without a visa

I've just stumbled on an Australia-specific scam website & thought I'd post a reminder for you here.

If you are traveling to/through the US on the VWP/Visa Waiver Program (no visa required for a 90 day visit) you must get an electronic clearance first, called ESTA.

There is NO FEE to complete your ESTA application; you do so through the Customs & Border Protection Agency. Always look for a website suffix of ".gov" for a US government site.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/esta/

This other, cheeky site is set up to look like an official one, but would like to have 53 of your favorite Australian dollars for something that is FREE.

Happy Travels!
Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:55 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel To/Through the USA without a visa

Originally Posted by meauxna
I've just stumbled on an Australia-specific scam website & thought I'd post a reminder for you here.

If you are traveling to/through the US on the VWP/Visa Waiver Program (no visa required for a 90 day visit) you must get an electronic clearance first, called ESTA.

There is NO FEE to complete your ESTA application; you do so through the Customs & Border Protection Agency. Always look for a website suffix of ".gov" for a US government site.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/esta/

This other, cheeky site is set up to look like an official one, but would like to have 53 of your favorite Australian dollars for something that is FREE.

Happy Travels!
Thanks for that Mo. A lot of us travel that way since we can get a larger baggage allowance than going the other way.

Do you know if it needs to be applied for in advance or is it like the border visas that are automatically granted when you land?
Old Jan 15th 2010, 12:20 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Thanks for that Mo. A lot of us travel that way since we can get a larger baggage allowance than going the other way.

Do you know if it needs to be applied for in advance or is it like the border visas that are automatically granted when you land?
I believe you're supposed to do it in advance although I think they could do it on the spot of needed (not too sure on that bit though).

Doesn't really affect us Canadians though. Just use your Canadian passport to enter the states and you won't need the ESTA. I double checked it with the travel agents and the airline and I've gone through twice since the ESTA came out. No problems at all.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 12:30 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy

Crafty devils.

You must complete the ESTA application in advance of travel (I think they recommend 3 days at least?). You can complete one now, and the result is valid for two years unless your name or answers to the questions change. The questions are the same ones as on the I-94W green card you complete on the flight prior to landing (or pay the $6 for when crossing a land border).
The airline is supposed to confirm it at checkin (it's all in the computer).

IOW, it wouldn't hurt to just do one now.

The VWP is not a 'visa' like the 'VOA' Visas on Arrival used elsewhere. It is a limited, visa free travel program for citizens of some countries.

Originally Posted by comet555
I believe you're supposed to do it in advance although I think they could do it on the spot of needed (not too sure on that bit though).

Doesn't really affect us Canadians though. Just use your Canadian passport to enter the states and you won't need the ESTA. I double checked it with the travel agents and the airline and I've gone through twice since the ESTA came out. No problems at all.
Correct, it doesn't apply to Canadians, who travel under their own, separate agreement and do not use visas (except in very limited categories).
This would be for British-only or other VWP-eligible citizens.
Canadians can still come/go on their Canadian passport as normal.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 1:34 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555

Doesn't apply to holders of Canadian passports, or those from Bermuda, as far as I am aware.

Nor does it apply to anyone holding a US tourist (or other) visa.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Visa_Waiver_Program
Old Jan 15th 2010, 5:26 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Crafty devils.

You must complete the ESTA application in advance of travel (I think they recommend 3 days at least?). You can complete one now, and the result is valid for two years unless your name or answers to the questions change. The questions are the same ones as on the I-94W green card you complete on the flight prior to landing (or pay the $6 for when crossing a land border).
The airline is supposed to confirm it at checkin (it's all in the computer).

IOW, it wouldn't hurt to just do one now.

The VWP is not a 'visa' like the 'VOA' Visas on Arrival used elsewhere. It is a limited, visa free travel program for citizens of some countries.

Correct, it doesn't apply to Canadians, who travel under their own, separate agreement and do not use visas (except in very limited categories).
This would be for British-only or other VWP-eligible citizens.
Canadians can still come/go on their Canadian passport as normal.
Originally Posted by JAJ
Doesn't apply to holders of Canadian passports, or those from Bermuda, as far as I am aware.

Nor does it apply to anyone holding a US tourist (or other) visa.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Visa_Waiver_Program
Thanks.