Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

travel from Sydney to Canberra

travel from Sydney to Canberra

Old Jan 25th 2005, 4:24 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 13
Dorie is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool travel from Sydney to Canberra

Doing a trip from NY to Oz in march. My good airfare deal doesn't go to Canberra, my destination. Anyone have ideas on how to get there without spending a lot of money and time as in alternatives such as train or bus or another cheap flight? Have checked on airfare between the two and come up with 109.00, is this reasonable?

Thanks
Dorie
Dorie is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2005, 4:46 pm
  #2  
Proudly Deplorable
 
Amazulu's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Alloha snack bar
Posts: 23,912
Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: travel from Sydney to Canberra

Originally Posted by Dorie
Doing a trip from NY to Oz in march. My good airfare deal doesn't go to Canberra, my destination. Anyone have ideas on how to get there without spending a lot of money and time as in alternatives such as train or bus or another cheap flight? Have checked on airfare between the two and come up with 109.00, is this reasonable?

Thanks
Dorie
Train service is good & you'll be able to see a bit of the scenery, trip takes about 4 hours if I remember correctly, you should be able to get it for a lot less than $109.
Amazulu is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2005, 5:04 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 13
Dorie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: travel from Sydney to Canberra

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Train service is good & you'll be able to see a bit of the scenery, trip takes about 4 hours if I remember correctly, you should be able to get it for a lot less than $109.

Hey thanks Amazulu!
Checked the train, it 50.00 and does take 4 hours.
Dorie is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2005, 6:14 pm
  #4  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 10
Mr B is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: travel from Sydney to Canberra

Originally Posted by Dorie
Hey thanks Amazulu!
Checked the train, it 50.00 and does take 4 hours.
Why not just book Qantas tickets online - www.qantas.com.au - you can get one-way tickets for as little as $91

This is what I have done, as I'm in a similar situation - ie, only international flights are booked.

Hope this helps

Andrew
Mr B is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2005, 1:53 pm
  #5  
JAJ
Retired
 
JAJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 34,649
JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: travel from Sydney to Canberra

Originally Posted by Mr B
Why not just book Qantas tickets online - www.qantas.com.au - you can get one-way tickets for as little as $91

This is what I have done, as I'm in a similar situation - ie, only international flights are booked.

Hope this helps

Andrew

Or Virgin Blue who may fly to Canberra - http://www.virginblue.com.au

Renting a car is another alternative, if you can get a one-way rental. Canberra is about 3.5 hours drive from Sydney, although I wouldn't recommend it after a long flight. If you want to give yourselves a day or two in Sydney first, then it might be an option.

Jeremy
JAJ is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2005, 2:11 pm
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
Lavinia's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 113
Lavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really nice
Default Re: travel from Sydney to Canberra

Originally Posted by Dorie
Doing a trip from NY to Oz in march. My good airfare deal doesn't go to Canberra, my destination. Anyone have ideas on how to get there without spending a lot of money and time as in alternatives such as train or bus or another cheap flight? Have checked on airfare between the two and come up with 109.00, is this reasonable?

Thanks
Dorie
There's a bus service from Sydney International Terminal to Canberra somewhere downtown. I think it was AUD 28,-- and took three hours. Sorry I can't provide more details. My sister booked it for me. I'll email her and ask if she has an internet link or something.

Lavinia
Lavinia is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2005, 2:32 pm
  #7  
JAJ
Retired
 
JAJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 34,649
JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: travel from Sydney to Canberra

Originally Posted by Lavinia
There's a bus service from Sydney International Terminal to Canberra somewhere downtown. I think it was AUD 28,-- and took three hours. Sorry I can't provide more details. My sister booked it for me. I'll email her and ask if she has an internet link or something.

Lavinia
Maybe try the Sydney Airport website - http://www.sydneyairport.com.au


Jeremy
JAJ is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2005, 3:21 pm
  #8  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 13
Dorie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: travel from Sydney to Canberra

Originally Posted by JAJ
Or Virgin Blue who may fly to Canberra - http://www.virginblue.com.au

Renting a car is another alternative, if you can get a one-way rental. Canberra is about 3.5 hours drive from Sydney, although I wouldn't recommend it after a long flight. If you want to give yourselves a day or two in Sydney first, then it might be an option.

Jeremy
Thanks JAJ but I havn't seen my family in thirty years, a day or two in Sydney would kill me!
Dorie is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2005, 4:31 pm
  #9  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 13
Dorie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: travel from Sydney to Canberra

Originally Posted by Dorie
Thanks JAJ but I havn't seen my family in thirty years, a day or two in Sydney would kill me!
Got the answer as to why Canberra isn't a major airport, the runway isn't strong enough to support the larger aircraft.
Thanks all for your help. You're the GREATEST!
Dorie is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2005, 8:18 pm
  #10  
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 11,149
bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: travel from Sydney to Canberra

Originally Posted by Dorie
Got the answer as to why Canberra isn't a major airport, the runway isn't strong enough to support the larger aircraft.
Thanks all for your help. You're the GREATEST!
Virgin Blue and Rex are cutting their Canberra routes. I guess the polis want business class and air miles.
bondipom is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2005, 9:54 pm
  #11  
life begins again...
 
scutterUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: doncaster..then scunny... now canberra.
Posts: 1,790
scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all
Default Re: travel from Sydney to Canberra

ha! i win... $15! sydney to canberra.

http://www.murrays.com.au/default.as...=article&ID=43

the only thing is it's on a 'bus' eeeeewwww.
scutterUK is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2005, 9:56 pm
  #12  
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 11,149
bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: travel from Sydney to Canberra

Originally Posted by scutterUK
ha! i win... $15! sydney to canberra.

http://www.murrays.com.au/default.as...=article&ID=43

the only thing is it's on a 'bus' eeeeewwww.
But you get to feel the bus bump over the roos and other road kill.
bondipom is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.