Reload this Page >

Travel to Oz in an instant!!!

Travel to Oz in an instant!!!

Old Sep 5th 2005, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Bosshogg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travel to Oz in an instant!!!

Hi Everyone

As it seems to be a night for new members, I thought I would join in. I've been enjoying this website for sometime now since my wife 'nadders' told me about it and have got a lot of information from it. Never been a one for chat rooms, etc but this is spot on.

Little bit about ourselves: me 36 - vehicle mechanic, wife 35 - optician, our little lad 4. TRA application was sent 3 weeks ago and we think we would like to go to the Sunshine Coast (but we change our minds constantly!!!).

Anyway thought I would share with you a free program that was recommended to me from a work colleague. It's free to download and is superb. Its called Google Earth (just type that in your search engine). It allows you to travel the planet and zoom down, tilt and fly over towns and cities. All the pictures/maps are from satellites and a lot of areas in Oz are covered. I think it's a great way of looking at a place you are interested in and get a birds eye view of the layout, etc. For you peeps who are already there, I bet theres a good chance of actually seeing your house.
Your computer needs a minimum spec. but the web page explains all that.

Let me know what you think.
Old Sep 5th 2005, 9:40 pm
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel to Oz in an instant!!!

Originally Posted by Bosshogg
Hi Everyone

As it seems to be a night for new members, I thought I would join in. I've been enjoying this website for sometime now since my wife 'nadders' told me about it and have got a lot of information from it. Never been a one for chat rooms, etc but this is spot on.

Little bit about ourselves: me 36 - vehicle mechanic, wife 35 - optician, our little lad 4. TRA application was sent 3 weeks ago and we think we would like to go to the Sunshine Coast (but we change our minds constantly!!!).

Anyway thought I would share with you a free program that was recommended to me from a work colleague. It's free to download and is superb. Its called Google Earth (just type that in your search engine). It allows you to travel the planet and zoom down, tilt and fly over towns and cities. All the pictures/maps are from satellites and a lot of areas in Oz are covered. I think it's a great way of looking at a place you are interested in and get a birds eye view of the layout, etc. For you peeps who are already there, I bet theres a good chance of actually seeing your house.

welcome and good luck with your tra we sent ours last week
im gonna try that site now will let you know what i think in a mo

jan & gaz xx
Old Sep 5th 2005, 9:41 pm
Professional Princess

Welcome to the forum.

Im going to try that google thingy right now.

Samantha

Old Sep 5th 2005, 9:42 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to the madhouse

Feel free to ask anything you want. Well, within reason of course

Julie
Old Sep 5th 2005, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

bobtheplumber is an unknown quantity at this point

from one newcomer to another......G'day

We have used Google earth to spot the 'roof repairs' needed on our Aussie friends' houses! Great site. Notice Perth surrounding areas have plenty of clear areas due to the weather I imagine. Uk is abit thin on the ground for good close ups......must be all that cloud cover. Of course some of the photography is a couple of years old, the inlaws' flat in Spain does not appear to have been built yet but we've been ther twice!!!!

Old Sep 5th 2005, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

nik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant future

Hi Everyone

Hi Boss I got Google earth the other day and actually found my uncles house in Oz, had to find the airport and follow the roads .It's weird that most of Oz is on the but very little of the UK. Also check out Google talk excellent little chat prog, work very well.
Old Sep 5th 2005, 10:30 pm
& Sharon, Mike & Luke

andyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really nice

[QUOTE=Bosshogg]Hi Everyone

Hi there, not ones for chat rooms too, but you'll find this is different, many helpful people and lots of great info from people who have been there and done it!! Hubby's a mechanic too and we're heading for the Sunshine Coast. We were introduced to Google Earth by another Expat and found it quite awesome, although you can't get close to some parts of the world though! Still a brill tool and useful to see if a house is next to a factory etc!!
Oh by the way, welcome and good luck with the TRA, that's probably the longest and most nail biting wait!!
All the best
Sharon
Old Sep 5th 2005, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

JohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone

Welcome Bosshog!!!

We found this google earth thingy a couple of weeks ago, and were amazed to home in on our new house in Oz! Brilliant website.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 7:17 am
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute

that google earth is great thanks for that

EVERYONE should try it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jan & gaz xx
Old Sep 6th 2005, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Bosshogg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robos
that google earth is great thanks for that

EVERYONE should try it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jan & gaz xx
Glad you like it, beware it can get addictive!!
Thanks to all for making us welcome, will keep you posted.

Boss
Old Sep 6th 2005, 5:56 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome, welcome!
I am already addicted to Google Earth.....found my house I grew up in in New Jersey already!

Anyone who wuld like the link, it is http://earth.google.com/

Lucy
Old Sep 6th 2005, 6:02 pm
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

Is google earth still 2 years out of date?

If so anyone know if they will ever update it?
Old Sep 6th 2005, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

JohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pompeywill
Is google earth still 2 years out of date?

If so anyone know if they will ever update it?
I think it must be. They are showing a house next door but one to ours as a plot of land. I think the house was in fact completed ages ago! Still must be a pretty mammoth task to keep it updated.

Netta