Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Travel insurance, for your interest

Travel insurance, for your interest

Old Jun 14th 2005, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

Ficklefish is on a distinguished road
Default Travel insurance, for your interest

As I have read from some other postings, one-way travel insurance is not that obviously available. I am departing at the end of June, and wasn't sure who to approach after the more obvious travel insurance providers do not offer one-way policies.

In case you can make use of my research, as I spent quite some time on the internet searching for such policies, I found three companies which offered the one-way policy, but the downside is that they only insure for up to 17 days, which covers you for just beyond your arrival, but means you need to make other insurance plans when you arrive.

Anyway, the companies I contacted were:

AUSTRAVEL - tel 0870 166 2020 - I was declined their one-way policy as I did not book my one-way ticket with them

POST OFFICE - tel 0800 169 9999 - £56 per person for standard cover which includes £10m medical cover, £300 individual item cover up to a max of £1500, £250 passport cover, £500 money cover (max £250 cash, balance of chqs/vouchers), up to £300 travel delays but if > 12hrs, up to £5,000

GO WALKABOUT - tel 0845 345 0327 - £40 per person for similar cover to above - they also told me you get £25k accident cover. If you cannot get through you can leave a message so they can call you back, and they do too.

I plumped for Go-W and it took minutes to arrange cover and was promised that documents will be in tonight's post.

Hope this may be useful to anyone who needs it.

Ff
Old Jun 14th 2005, 6:36 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Travel insurance, for your interest

Thanks for the info, here's hoping I need to refer to it one day soon...
Old Jun 14th 2005, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

sid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nice

Thanks, I haven't even got around to arranging that yet but this will be really useful
Old Jun 14th 2005, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the useful advice. Hope I'll be using it soon
Tracey
Old Jun 14th 2005, 8:45 pm
Keeping an eye out !

Wickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to all

Thanks for that, very very useful Karma sent
Cheers Carole

Originally Posted by Ficklefish
As I have read from some other postings, one-way travel insurance is not that obviously available. I am departing at the end of June, and wasn't sure who to approach after the more obvious travel insurance providers do not offer one-way policies.

In case you can make use of my research, as I spent quite some time on the internet searching for such policies, I found three companies which offered the one-way policy, but the downside is that they only insure for up to 17 days, which covers you for just beyond your arrival, but means you need to make other insurance plans when you arrive.

AUSTRAVEL - tel 0870 166 2020 - I was declined their one-way policy as I did not book my one-way ticket with them

POST OFFICE - tel 0800 169 9999 - £56 per person for standard cover which includes £10m medical cover, £300 individual item cover up to a max of £1500, £250 passport cover, £500 money cover (max £250 cash, balance of chqs/vouchers), up to £300 travel delays but if > 12hrs, up to £5,000

GO WALKABOUT - tel 0845 345 0327 - £40 per person for similar cover to above - they also told me you get £25k accident cover. If you cannot get through you can leave a message so they can call you back, and they do too.

I plumped for Go-W and it took minutes to arrange cover and was promised that documents will be in tonight's post.

Ff
Old Jun 15th 2005, 12:43 am
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

sorry why do you need one way cover, surely you are only on a plane for a day?

Can you just not get 2 days holiday cover?

Why so long?
sorry if im being thick.

alk
Old Jun 15th 2005, 1:13 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

yeah, i was wondering why you'd need it past the flight. after all, you don't have that kind of insurance when in your home country, so why would you need it if you are moving to australia.

Originally Posted by alkristensen
sorry why do you need one way cover, surely you are only on a plane for a day?

Can you just not get 2 days holiday cover?

Why so long?
sorry if im being thick.

alk
Old Jun 15th 2005, 1:17 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Most holiday insurance means that you must stipulate a return date. Obviously you can't do that on a way-one ticket, hence the need for specific cover.

Also worth remembering that the one way cover (like all other cover) expires as soon as you go through arrivals, so if anything happens beyond that point, you're not covered.

GG
Old Jun 15th 2005, 2:07 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Most holiday insurance means that you must stipulate a return date. Obviously you can't do that on a way-one ticket, hence the need for specific cover.

Also worth remembering that the one way cover (like all other cover) expires as soon as you go through arrivals, so if anything happens beyond that point, you're not covered.

GG
If you book a one way flight you will find it almost impossible to get anyone to cover you with run of the mill insurance, you used to be able to get OW insurance with all travel agents, we used to sell people a 17 day cover, that is no longer available and some companies will now not sell insurance only saying you need to book flights with them to take out their cover.

I used www.insureandgo.com cost me £39 for all of us,(2 adults 2 kids) we got the usual cover for canx and medical and missed departure etc and then for 24 hours after arrival, which is all you really need, if say you were travelling to the USA then you would need to make sure you had enough insurance to cover you until you take out a health insurance policy, here in Australia medicare would cover you for emergencies, they have a reciprocal agreementwith the UK.

spalens wife
Old Jun 15th 2005, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

CreditCardKing will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Ficklefish

Ff

I am travelling from Australia to the UK with a stopover for 2 nights in Singapore. I will be in the UK for 8 months. I have alot of valuables in my luggage and want insurance mainly to cover these incase the Airline loses them. I am not able to get one way insurance since I have a return ticket and I there's no point having annual insurance cover since it would only be valid for a maximum of 60 days for each trip from Australia . The insurance companies I have contacted will not cover me for the 4 days travelling unless I take out cover until my return to Australia. This must be a common issue since there are many people moving between Australia and the UK.