Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Travel Insurance - What's the point?

Travel Insurance - What's the point?

Old Dec 1st 2004, 9:43 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Travel Insurance - What's the point?

Had a fair bit of bother trying to find travel insurance for that one way journey including 4-day stopover in Singapore but did in the end.
Left with 9 suitcases, only 1 arrived in Singapore on day one, another 7 turned up on day 3.
One case still missing since October 3rd!
Filled in a zillion forms and sent them to the insurance co about a month ago.
Nagged them by email a few times re; progress.- NO RESPONSE
Finally get a snotty letter today saying I should make the claim with Singapore Airlines. It is nothing to do with them!
I sent them a very stroppy letter back! They have every bit of information and documentation about the situation. I have nothing.
Anyone experienced this?
Any advice?

Andrew
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 5:12 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel Insurance - What's the point?

Originally Posted by andrew63
Had a fair bit of bother trying to find travel insurance for that one way journey including 4-day stopover in Singapore but did in the end.
Left with 9 suitcases, only 1 arrived in Singapore on day one, another 7 turned up on day 3.
One case still missing since October 3rd!
Filled in a zillion forms and sent them to the insurance co about a month ago.
Nagged them by email a few times re; progress.- NO RESPONSE
Finally get a snotty letter today saying I should make the claim with Singapore Airlines. It is nothing to do with them!
I sent them a very stroppy letter back! They have every bit of information and documentation about the situation. I have nothing.
Anyone experienced this?
Any advice?

Andrew
Same thing happened to me!
I hope someone can answer you as I am interested too!
Lots of Karma heading your way!

AKA Bump up!

Andrew
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 5:55 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

[Info from airline source (not Singapore!) - your issue IS with the airline unfortunately. I'm told that you need to fill in a claim form supplied by the airline, and they will then look into it. Your insurance co will probably not be interested until the airline will admit liability (ie that they lost it). Then the insurance co should pay out and reclaim the money from the airlines insurers. OR - if you are lucky, the airline's insurers will settle direct with you.

Stern letter to Singapore Airlines called for I think, and I hope you have compies of all the paperwork to send them.

(don't quote me on this, I'm not an insurance expert, this is info from another airline, but I hope it helps)
Old Dec 12th 2004, 11:38 pm
I don't re Member

Originally Posted by Pollyana
[Info from airline source (not Singapore!) - your issue IS with the airline unfortunately. I'm told that you need to fill in a claim form supplied by the airline, and they will then look into it. Your insurance co will probably not be interested until the airline will admit liability (ie that they lost it). Then the insurance co should pay out and reclaim the money from the airlines insurers. OR - if you are lucky, the airline's insurers will settle direct with you.

Stern letter to Singapore Airlines called for I think, and I hope you have compies of all the paperwork to send them.

(don't quote me on this, I'm not an insurance expert, this is info from another airline, but I hope it helps)
Pollyana
FYI as an update, I followed my instincts and wrote the stern letter to the Inusrance Company as the policy clearly states that they pay for the lost luggage plus when I asked them by email they responded and told me that I should forward all documents to them and that they would claim of Singapore Airlines.
Anyway, within a week of sending the ins. co. a stern email, they responded with a very nice cheuqe indeed!
A happy ending with an insurance co! How weird is that?

Andrew