Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

travel insurance for travelling back to the uk for a jolly

travel insurance for travelling back to the uk for a jolly

Old Nov 25th 2004, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold
Question travel insurance for travelling back to the uk for a jolly

Hi,

We are going home for Christmas and New year and wondered if anyone could recommend a good travel insurance. Most of them seem really expensive.

We are going for 21 nights that maybe why? The cheapest I could get was RACQ all recommendations are appreciated.

By the way I have been here now nine months and will realy miss here when I go back to the UK.

Thanks

Carrianne
Old Nov 25th 2004, 11:01 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: travel insurance for travelling back to the uk for a jolly

Originally Posted by Carrianne
Hi,

We are going home for Christmas and New year and wondered if anyone could recommend a good travel insurance. Most of them seem really expensive.

We are going for 21 nights that maybe why? The cheapest I could get was RACQ all recommendations are appreciated.

By the way I have been here now nine months and will realy miss here when I go back to the UK.

Thanks

Carrianne
We got out travel insurance with STA. It was just over $300 for 5 of us. It seemed wierd getting travel insurance to go to the UK.

The bits I'm looking forward to most are Singapore and getting back to Australia.
Old Nov 26th 2004, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by renth
We got out travel insurance with STA. It was just over $300 for 5 of us. It seemed wierd getting travel insurance to go to the UK.

The bits I'm looking forward to most are Singapore and getting back to Australia.

I renth, yeah I am looking forward to staying in Singapore for three nights we are with family so that would be nice.

I am looking forward to seeing family but not getting wrapped up.

Are you going back too ? When ?

C x
Old Nov 26th 2004, 12:38 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I renth, yeah I am looking forward to staying in Singapore for three nights we are with family so that would be nice.

I am looking forward to seeing family but not getting wrapped up.

Are you going back too ? When ?

C x
Going back for three weeks over Christmas.
Old Nov 26th 2004, 4:50 am
Just Joined

big stu is an unknown quantity at this point

Going back for three weeks over Christmas.

can do it (fully comp) for $368 for the family

email me on

[email protected]

(ex mancunian and a CITY fan)
Old Nov 26th 2004, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Renth,

Same as us we fly out on the 19th - not long now. Have a good time x

Stu, there is only two of us and so far RACQ are the cheapest as I get 10% it works out at 304 for 2 fully comp ?

Thanks

C x
Old Nov 27th 2004, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

leejo is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Thanks

Carrianne
A bit confused!

Why do you need travel insurance?

When in the UK you have the NHS and in Oz you have Medicare!!

Cheers

Lee
Old Nov 27th 2004, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by leejo
A bit confused!

Cheers

Lee

Personally I would not bother with insurance either. If it costs you $300 you could buy a lot of clothes for that if your stuff goes astray! Why not look into increasing you home insurance to include possessiona away from home then more would be covered.

Have a good trip. We are looking forward to our first Aussie Xmas and I don't envy you at all. Shiver at the thought
Old Nov 27th 2004, 10:20 pm
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by tinaj
Personally I would not bother with insurance either. If it costs you $300 you could buy a lot of clothes for that if your stuff goes astray! Why not look into increasing you home insurance to include possessiona away from home then more would be covered.

Have a good trip. We are looking forward to our first Aussie Xmas and I don't envy you at all. Shiver at the thought
Several reasons.

We are having stop overs both ways plus if you do get ill in the UK and miss the flight, you're covered. It's not just about insuring clothes.
Old Nov 27th 2004, 10:30 pm
ABCDiamond

Several reasons.

We are having stop overs both ways plus if you do get ill in the UK and miss the flight, you're covered. It's not just about insuring clothes.
That's actually a very good point. I've done the trip many times now, and never had insurance, but if something had happened whilst on a stop over, illness or accident etc., it could have been a major cost.

Just thinking about a scenario where you you flying to UK, and have a heart attack half way, pilot says he will land at immediately at Dubai, but you have to say; No.. I haven't got medical insurance !! Take me to London !!

Old Nov 28th 2004, 3:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Innyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
That's actually a very good point. I've done the trip many times now, and never had insurance, but if something had happened whilst on a stop over, illness or accident etc., it could have been a major cost.

Just thinking about a scenario where you you flying to UK, and have a heart attack half way, pilot says he will land at immediately at Dubai, but you have to say; No.. I haven't got medical insurance !! Take me to London !!
Oh come on that's easy, keep quiet and don't tell anybody you've had a heart attack until you get to London.......
Old Nov 28th 2004, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

big stu is an unknown quantity at this point

people not insuring themselves whilst on a trip...
Old Nov 28th 2004, 9:16 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leejo
A bit confused!

Cheers

Lee
British citizens resident overseas are not generally eligible to use the NHS. Makes sense when you think about it, as overseas Britons are usually exempt from income tax which funds the NHS. And non-resident Brits don't pay much UK VAT or excise duties either.

Jeremy
Old Nov 28th 2004, 11:11 pm
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by JAJ
British citizens resident overseas are not generally eligible to use the NHS. Makes sense when you think about it, as overseas Britons are usually exempt from income tax which funds the NHS. And non-resident Brits don't pay much UK VAT or excise duties either.

Jeremy
Makes sense if you left Britain as a child but if, like me you've worked there and paid tax for years.... That's Britain for you. It would be different if I was Albanian or Afghan.

Anyway, what about the reciprocal agreement or are British citizens resident overseas in some sort of limbo zone where they don't qualify for NHS but Aussie citizens do?
Old Nov 28th 2004, 11:26 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Makes sense if you left Britain as a child but if, like me you've worked there and paid tax for years....
The NHS does not work on that basis.

The tax you've paid went to run the NHS at the time. If you didn't use the NHS to the extent you paid into it - tough luck.

If you as a British citizen return to live the UK after 20 years overseas (without paying tax) you'll be eligible for the NHS at the time and no-one is going to ask you if you paid taxes in the intervening period.

Can't have it both ways.

That's Britain for you. It would be different if I was Albanian or Afghan.
Australian citizens living overseas are not eligible for Medicare. And I think you'll find most Canadian provinces don't provide cover for overseas Canadians either.

Anyway, what about the reciprocal agreement or are British citizens resident overseas in some sort of limbo zone where they don't qualify for NHS but Aussie citizens do?
You don't need to be an Australian citizen to access the reciprocal health agreement with the UK - a Medicare card is enough.
http://www.publications.doh.gov.uk/o...sitors/Rha.htm

However coverage under reciprocal health schemes is rarely enough to avoid the need for travel insurance.

Jeremy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.