Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

travel insurance for pregnant wife

travel insurance for pregnant wife

Old Aug 17th 2006, 10:24 am
Des
Des

Des is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really nice
Default travel insurance for pregnant wife

Hi People

Does anyone know where i can buy travel insurance for my pregnant wife we intend to travel to Oz when she is 34 to 36 weeks for the birth?. Thanks all

Des & Helen
Old Aug 17th 2006, 10:28 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: travel insurance for pregnant wife

Originally Posted by Des
Hi People

Does anyone know where i can buy travel insurance for my pregnant wife we intend to travel to Oz when she is 34 to 36 weeks for the birth?. Thanks all

Des & Helen
Have you checked that she will be OK to fly at that time?
Old Aug 17th 2006, 10:30 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

I have travelled when pregnant, but not that late. We had difficulty finding insurance past 28wks.

Plus depending on the flight & airline you may well find airlines will not fly a pregnant woman so near her due date - not surprising as I know a few who have given birth at that stage of pregnancy.

All the best
walaj (9wks till bubs #2 due)
Old Aug 17th 2006, 12:13 pm
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walaj
I have travelled when pregnant, but not that late. We had difficulty finding insurance past 28wks.

Plus depending on the flight & airline you may well find airlines will not fly a pregnant woman so near her due date - not surprising as I know a few who have given birth at that stage of pregnancy.

All the best
walaj (9wks till bubs #2 due)

I had the same problem as i travelled at just over 28 weeks, i eventually got insurance through a company called navigator, try googling for them, but i don;t think they will cover you that far on, i also know that airlines wouldn't carry anyone over 36 weeks pregnant but that may have changed to earlier with some airlines.

I had no probs travelling at 29 weeks but i have to say that i wouldn't be going anywhere at much over that.

Good luck.

Lynn
Old Aug 17th 2006, 12:24 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Along with the other replies - I think you will struggle to get an airline to carry your wife at that stage let alone finding insurance.

And from a personal point of view, I can't imagine anything worse than being stuck in an airplane seat for that amount of time that heavily pregnant :scared:

Good luck to you both. Hope you have a safe arrival both of bub and Australia
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 11:33 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

I doubt very much whether any airlines would carry your partner that late in her pregnancy...and with good reason - I'm sure you can understand that, being nurses.
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 11:43 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

if you do find an insurance co it will cost you an arm and a leg...................and I'm sorry but it is madness even thinking of travelling at this late stage............what would happen if the bub was born on the flight...imagine the strain on its wee lungs............Im sorry again but....think about this again for the sake of ur wife and unborn childs health
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 11:56 am
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Des
Hi People

Des & Helen
Des,

I've looked into the latest pregnant woman are able to fly and below is some info:

Most airlines accept pregnant woman without any problem up to 27/28 weeks - after that, it depends upon the individual airline, and you'll need to check with your airlines as to their rules.

BA will accept pregnant women upto 36 weeks, but you'll need a letter from your doc, stating fit to travel etc. Virgin accept up to 34 weeks, again letter from doc.

Please update the thread once you have decided which company to use for insurance, as I'm also interested in what the options are.

Below is a link to a useful webpage that gives info on travel insurance options for pregnant woman.

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnanc...avelinsurance/

Best wishes,

Nicky

Last edited by Nicky & Dave; Sep 3rd 2006 at 12:18 pm. Reason: Added web link in
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 12:00 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Des
Hi People

Des & Helen
go now...having recently been looking at this subject myself...you need to be on that plane sooner rather than later. good advice has been given and 28 weeks is the likely cut off time. so close to the due date I would tempted to stay in Blighty and take full advantage of my NHS contributions!!
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 12:02 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nicky & Dave
Des,

I'll be flying at about 23 weeks, so I've looked into the latest pregnant woman are able to fly and below is some info:

Most airlines accept pregnant woman without any problem up to 27/28 weeks - after that, it depends upon the individual airline, and you'll need to check with your airlines as to their rules.

BA will accept pregnant women upto 36 weeks, but you'll need a letter from your doc, stating fit to travel etc. Virgin accept up to 34 weeks, again letter from doc.

Please update the thread once you have decided which company to use for insurance, as I'm also interested in what the options are.

Best wishes,

Nicky

are you sure they will consider women at 34 and 36 weeks for longhaul? sometimes what is considered passable for short flights is not considered for longer flights.
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 12:05 pm

personally I think the airlines are right having a cut off time....flying at 34+ weeks is madness. There is a huge increase in SID'S cases in babies that have flown in the first few weeks of birth and also those who have been born to mothers who have flown in the last 6 weeks of pregnancy.
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 12:08 pm
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy
are you sure they will consider women at 34 and 36 weeks for longhaul? sometimes what is considered passable for short flights is not considered for longer flights.
Absolutely sure - checked websites and have spoken to both BA/Virgin. For uncomplicated, single pregnancies BA will allow you to travel longhaul up to the end of the 36th week, Virgin 34th.
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 12:12 pm
A rather curious boy

Originally Posted by Nicky & Dave
Absolutely sure - checked websites and have spoken to both BA/Virgin. For uncomplicated, single pregnancies BA will allow you to travel longhaul up to the end of the 36th week, Virgin 34th.
Jeezo ...must admit having been in this situation not long ago I don't think I would willingly put myself through a longhaul flight at that late stage...massively uncomfortable and hot with aching hips and huge feet anyway, each to her own but I would have been really miserable.....and then there is the worry aspect too!
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by busterboy
Jeezo ...must admit having been in this situation not long ago I don't think I would willingly put myself through a longhaul flight at that late stage...massively uncomfortable and hot with aching hips and huge feet anyway, each to her own but I would have been really miserable.....and then there is the worry aspect too!
not to mention the risks to the bub
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 12:23 pm
A rather curious boy

Originally Posted by biggy
not to mention the risks to the bub
that's what i meant with regards worry.

Most pregancies go off without a hitch though especially if it a second or more. We have really medicalised pregnancy and birth and the reason for that is probably due to when it does go wrong it can go very badly wrong quickly.

I just hope the lady concerned makes the right decision for her and her family.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.