Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Travel Insurance/ Medicare

Travel Insurance/ Medicare

Old Aug 5th 2009, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

ernie24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travel Insurance/ Medicare

I have trawled through the threads but I can't find the exact answer to my question - apologies if it is there though!

I am coming to Australia on a WHV in November but will be applying for a de facto partner visa when I am out there. During the year we plan to do some travelling but most of our time will be spent in Perth.

Do I need to have travel insurance for the full 12 months I am on a WHV or will the medicare cover I receive on my visa be enough (as well as travel insurance to cover my journey).

Thanks
Old Aug 5th 2009, 3:50 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of
Default Re: Travel Insurance/ Medicare

Originally Posted by ernie24
I have trawled through the threads but I can't find the exact answer to my question - apologies if it is there though!

I am coming to Australia on a WHV in November but will be applying for a de facto partner visa when I am out there. During the year we plan to do some travelling but most of our time will be spent in Perth.

Do I need to have travel insurance for the full 12 months I am on a WHV or will the medicare cover I receive on my visa be enough (as well as travel insurance to cover my journey).

Thanks
What country are you from? When we backpacked around the world, we had travel insurance covering us for the year but as we were from the UK, we were entitled to Medicare coverage when we passed through Australia as part of the Australia/UK reciprocal health-care agreements.

- CDM
Old Aug 5th 2009, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

ernie24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply - I'm from the UK.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 6:59 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ernie24

Thanks
You still need travel insurance. What if relationship doesn't work out, and/or you need medical repatriation, etc?
Old Aug 5th 2009, 7:05 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JAJ
You still need travel insurance. What if relationship doesn't work out, and/or you need medical repatriation, etc?
This is a good point, in fact, it was the emergency repatriation coverage that was the primary reason why we took out our long-term travel insurance to begin with. If you have to be repatriated and don't have insurance, it's ludicrously expensive and could very well ruin you financially for life so it's definitely a good idea to take it seriously.

- CDM