Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Travel insurance - help please?

Wikiposts

Travel insurance - help please?

Old Jul 21st 2003, 7:33 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Originally posted by tinaj
I hadn't even thought about insurance! I have an annual multi trip policy, but I don't suppose it will cover us to emigrate.

I shall have to do a bit of investigating as well!

T

We have a free multi trip world cover with the gold account on LLoyds TSB as we intend to keep our UK bank account I would think the insurance would still be operative Can anyone say it definitely would not be??
Old Jul 21st 2003, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Yafm - your policy probably covers trips up to 30 or 60 days each. Look in the fine print for one way trips. Probably not covered after arrival.
Old Jul 21st 2003, 9:01 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Jo

I'll keep reading but there is very little information just one book covering all the extras that the Gold account gives you I don't want to actually ask them as I don't want to burn my boats until I have to. Yvonne
Old Jul 21st 2003, 7:26 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by yafm
Jo

I'll keep reading but there is very little information just one book covering all the extras that the Gold account gives you I don't want to actually ask them as I don't want to burn my boats until I have to. Yvonne
Most insurance places I spoke to said travel insurance was only valid if you were leaving and later returning to the UK. Call Lloyds and pretend you are a new customer interested in their products, and ask them directly.
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 1:00 am
Sydneysider and lovin it!

Dinky is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Level of Cover

Ok spoke with Worldwide and they can help with one way insurance (you have to phone as cannot be done on the web). They also indicated that a std policy would be invalidated due to my one way ticket etc.
My main issue with all insurance Companies is the level of cover.
We are stopping off in the USA for 3 weeks on route and I'm concerned about the level of cover I can get.
Cameras etc you can increase the value of cover at a price but for laptops etc there is no cover. Even engagement rings etc are only covered to £300 and you can't increase this!
What have/are other people doing about this?
I assume my household policy in the UK will not cover this, as I'm not returning to the UK?

Dinky
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 8:48 am
dmf
Forum Regular

dmf will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by yafm
Jo

Yvonne,
We too have Gold account. I have checked with the insurance company and it is not valid for one ways.

Dawn
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 5:41 pm
too busy to work members

Thanks for that Dawn - not what I wanted to hear but everything we find out helps - we are so busy at the moment wth re-siting the inlaws (95 years) and trying to get care cover BEDFORE we migrate together with selling the house we are a bit stretched. I woill have to read my TNT magazine and get a quick cover
Old Jul 26th 2003, 12:30 am
dmf
Forum Regular

dmf will become famous soon enough

Booked our one way travel insurance with Columbus. £49 for the four of us, superior cover - seemed quite reasonable. E-mailed the policy to us as we fly Thurs.

Dawn
Old Jul 26th 2003, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

colinnsam is an unknown quantity at this point

Try E-bookers, we used them and they cover you one way and for a specified period after travel. They first quoted 75 POUNDS, I phoned back 10 mins later and got it for 55 for a family of 4.

Colin
Old Jul 29th 2003, 3:38 am
Just Joined

Jaz N is an unknown quantity at this point

Outbacker is another option for one-way trip insurance - www.outbackerinsurance.com The cover levels seemed better than other policies in the same price range.

Last edited by Jaz N; Jul 29th 2003 at 3:41 am.
Old Jul 29th 2003, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

More suggestions anyone? Still haven't seen anything to beat Leading Edge or Worldwide on price or cover. I've checked the fine print of other ones mentioned and they all expire on arrival ie at Aussie customs - Leading Edge gives you another 48 hours after that.

Thanks,

Jo
Old Jul 29th 2003, 4:13 am
Just Joined

Jaz N is an unknown quantity at this point

Leading Edge will not cover us for a one-way trip from UK to Oz because we are not Australian citizens. Has anyone else had that problem?
Old Aug 8th 2003, 3:24 am

Colcumbus are crap as well!
Will cover a one way trip but only include a maximum 5 day stop over! After that period it's invalid.
Has anybody experienced this and come up with a useful, friendly solution?????

Dinky
Old Aug 8th 2003, 4:16 am
Forum Regular

DonnaS is an unknown quantity at this point

If you go out with a return ticket, even if you'll probably never use the return portion, will you still be covered for x days? Is it the fact that people are on one-way tickets that reduces the options?
Old Aug 8th 2003, 4:22 am

Getting one way travel insurance is not an issue and quite esy to do it's just finding a policy with enough cover to:
a) Ensure you fully covered for a period of 3 weeks
b) Offers sufficient person effects cover so that laptops, cameras jewllery etc are covered (most limit it to £1500) which is no good for us. The Future Mrs Dinky has an engagement ring which is worth more than the total cover and I'd hate to have to replace that again!

Any people who have been through this already or who have found a solution I would appreciate suggestions.

Dinky

P.S. Having known someone on a dodgy insurance policy (their fault) who fell ill and ended up with massive hospital bills I'm rather keen to do the right thing!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.