Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Travel insurance - help please?

Travel insurance - help please?

Old Jul 11th 2003, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travel insurance - help please?

Does anyone have any tips on a good travel insurer for migrants?

We need to cover the trip to Oz (baggage esp.) and a few weeks after arrival until we get settled into a place and get contents insurance.

Most travel insurers specify in the fine print that it's only valid if you're resident in the UK - understandable as they don't want you moving to some country with lousy healthcare and using a long travel insurance policy to cover what is not actually a holiday.

We'll lose residency as soon as we leave - don't want to pay for insurance and have a claim rejected later!
Old Jul 11th 2003, 8:06 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

I have posted before that the TNT magazine has adverts that specifically offer insurance for one ways Perhaps they have a web site which you ca peruse.

However on a not so light note.... I have been working as a temp for loss adjusters for travel insurance...............phew only 1 in 20 gets paid out. The ways around the terms and conditions to get non payment are amazing.

I thought I was genned up about rulles and regs of insurance but things are getting very tight and strict. No claim for ANYTHING lost or stolen will be considered unless you can give purchase receipts. (if you have been married for 50 years and your engagement ring is stolen you better have your original receipt!!!!) Thats the sort of answer you get.
Don't forget to keep all papers and receipts connected to the journey - copies won't do and they need to know what you paid and how and when.
Make sure you always contact International Medical Emergency FIRST before local doctors hospitals etc. as if you do not you have broken the terms and conditions of the policy and you can claim nothing. Same applies to using E111 in Europe (use of this saves your excess also)
Make SURE you get a police report and a verification from any airline, hotel or taxi service if they are involved in any problem. Same with lost and destroyed baggage - they will send you back to the airline if they can.

The list is actually endless find a magnifier and read the small print several times.:scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Jul 12th 2003, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks yafm. I'll hunt down a TNT mag. Looks like we're actually going soon...
Old Jul 12th 2003, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

Try John Wason Ltd. Click here for their web page.

They do a special insurance package for expats. It covers your travel there and your contents after you arrive. You can pick and choose which bits of the policy you want. It is even transportable so that if you move to somewhere else in the world your insurance always goes with you.

I insured with them and the quote was very reasonable and they were very flexible with which bits of the policy came into effect at certain dates during the move. More importantly I've also had to make one claim (theft from my house in Australia) and they settled in full (minus the excess) very promptly.
Old Jul 12th 2003, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by yafm
I have posted before that the TNT magazine has adverts that specifically offer insurance for one ways Perhaps they have a web site which you ca peruse.

However on a not so light note.... I have been working as a temp for loss adjusters for travel insurance...............phew only 1 in 20 gets paid out. The ways around the terms and conditions to get non payment are amazing.

I thought I was genned up about rulles and regs of insurance but things are getting very tight and strict. No claim for ANYTHING lost or stolen will be considered unless you can give purchase receipts. (if you have been married for 50 years and your engagement ring is stolen you better have your original receipt!!!!) Thats the sort of answer you get.
Don't forget to keep all papers and receipts connected to the journey - copies won't do and they need to know what you paid and how and when.
Make sure you always contact International Medical Emergency FIRST before local doctors hospitals etc. as if you do not you have broken the terms and conditions of the policy and you can claim nothing. Same applies to using E111 in Europe (use of this saves your excess also)
Make SURE you get a police report and a verification from any airline, hotel or taxi service if they are involved in any problem. Same with lost and destroyed baggage - they will send you back to the airline if they can.

The list is actually endless find a magnifier and read the small print several times.:scared: :scared: :scared:
The problem with insurance is that so many people 'try it on' in order to get something for free. If they get away with it then up go the premiums for the rest of us. I have had friends in the past who wanted a new carpet so they just accidentally on purpose knocked over a plumbers blow torch and hey presto a brand new carpet from the insurance company.
Old Jul 12th 2003, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

I found two cheap policies (Which best buys) who cover one-way trips. In both cases cover ends 48 hours after arrival. Most others end at immigration control - what use is that if your stuff gets nicked in the airport carpark???

For under 40s: www.leadedge.co.uk
For over 40s: www.worldwideinsure.com
Same company for both.

Thanks to the link enlniwd - I'll go check our James Wason - I'd prefer to have stuff covered in the temp accom too.
Old Jul 12th 2003, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

enlniwd - I looked at the Wason site.

Congrats on successfully claiming on the insurance. I'm surprised they paid out your claim though because they're very specific about the insurance being for expatriates living abroad away from their normal country of domicile.

Did they know that you were actually emigrating (ie moving your domicile to Oz) with a migrant visa and were they happy with that? Or did they think you were just moving there on a work visa to work for a year or two? I'd like to know what you told them so we don't say the wrong thing and get turned down!
Old Jul 12th 2003, 12:08 pm
Sydneysider and lovin it!

Dinky is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Jolyn

Congrats on successfully claiming on the insurance. I'm surprised they paid out your claim though because they're very specific about the insurance being for expatriates living abroad away from their normal country of domicile.

Did they know that you were actually emigrating (ie moving your domicile to Oz) with a migrant visa and were they happy with that? Or did they think you were just moving there on a work visa to work for a year or two? I'd like to know what you told them so we don't say the wrong thing and get turned down!
Agreed I'm also looking into this and am having similar issues.
Come on guys, those that have made the trip please can you share your knowledge?

Thanks,

Dinky
Old Jul 12th 2003, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Jolyn

I don't think 'domicile' comes into it. As tax advisors are quick to tell you, it is very difficult to change one's country of domicile. As Paul Young said 'Wherever I lay my hat that's my home'. I never talk in terms of 'migration'. At the moment I happen to be in Australia. The fact that that is courtesy of a Spouse Visa is irrelevant. Tomorrow we could be somewhere else. I just happened to have chosen a UK-based insurance company. I'd have chosen a Lithuanian one if they had the right policy for me.

I don't know where you saw the bit about them being specific about domicile - it says nothing about that in my policy. I was put on to them by Allied Pickfords who I used for my removals. They are fully aware of how, when, and why I moved from the UK to Australia. Just phone them up and ask. They are a small company. You will probably speak to a lady called Judith Clark. She is very efficient and has been a great help to me (unlike some of the big faceless companies I usually have to deal with).

And before anybody asks, I have no affiliation with the company whatsoever. I was just impressed with their service.
Old Jul 12th 2003, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

This is the phrase used on their website:

"...the insurance is designed for expatriates of any nationality when residing outside the United Kingdom, USA or Canada and away from their country of normal domicile"

You're right that it's difficult to change your domicile in tax terms but I'm not sure whether that applies here. I would have thought that an immigrant visa (esp independent one) would imply changing your 'normal domicile' for these purposes.

Maybe they don't get many claims so they're not that particular about the fine print anyway.

I'll give them a ring on Monday and try to nut out what they mean by the phrase - or at least how their underwriters interpret it for claims! I don't want to be the one who gets their claim turned down... will post when I know.

In my case this probably won't work anyway - I'm Australian so lose UK domicile even for tax purposes as soon as I leave with the intention of staying away.
Old Jul 14th 2003, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rang Wason's today from Australia House while waiting for my son's passport.

They said technically the insurance is for those away from 'home' but they're very casual about the interpretation. Only likely to get sticky about it if you've been away for years with no sign of returning. So sounds promising.

I was quoted £145 p.a. for 20K cover for household goods in a series of temporary homes in Oz. Plus £90 for worldwide cover for 3K personal possessions and valuables. Policies are for a year minimum.

Probably more expensive than getting a local contents policy once you get into rented accom. But covers that tricky gap while you're in temp serviced 'holiday' place which no local insurer would probably look at.

They do a travel policy too (to include medical if you get sick en route plus cancellation etc) but haven't checked if this is cheaper than the two I mentioned before.

Thanks etlniwd!
Old Jul 21st 2003, 12:45 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Travel insurance - help please?

Columbus (0207 375 0011) offer one way travel insurance. It stops as soon as you pass through immigration, but at least you are covered for delays, loss of baggage, etc. They were very reasonable, only £35 for two adults.
Old Jul 21st 2003, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

I rang a big Aussie insurer for Victoria - RACV - www.racv.com.au., phone no. 00 61 13 19 55, to compare local prices.

RACV said they were perfectly happy to cover temp accom for however long, whether with or without a lease, rent paid nightly or whatever, on same basis as usual contents. Then just a change of address when moving.

Premiums were much lower than Wasons esp with a letter from previous insurer saying no claims in last 2 years. A lot of excess options are available - up to $1000. Sample premium for $75K cover new for old with $300 XS in Box Hill, Melbourne was $363 pa. They laughed at the premiums we pay in London...

So we're going to go with the cheap best buy travel policies above: leadedge/worldinsure which expire 48 hours after arrival. Then ring up in first 2 days to get RACV cover on the spot.

Gets us 'in the system' too with another bill at our temp address. Should make it easier to join the local Blockbusters...

Best wishes to everyone who's off soon.

Last edited by Jolyn; Jul 21st 2003 at 1:52 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2003, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the Columbus tip Mika24me. Would probably be out of the question for us as we had a big claim with them years ago - claimed on just about every section of the policy after a disastrous final 2 days of a southern Italian holiday!

In any case, knowing our luck all our stuff would be nicked getting into the taxi at Melbourne airport so a policy that expires at immigration is a bit risky (lots of companies offer those). The cheap policies above that expire 48 hours after arrival seem a better bet.
Old Jul 21st 2003, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

I hadn't even thought about insurance! I have an annual multi trip policy, but I don't suppose it will cover us to emigrate.

I shall have to do a bit of investigating as well!

T

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.