Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Travel insurance for emmigration

Travel insurance for emmigration

Old Jan 26th 2008, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of
Default Travel insurance for emmigration

Hi all, I had a look at some of the one-way travel insurance in the sticky, but it all seemed to have pretty low personal baggage and valuables cover - £300 maximum for any single item. We've got a few things, mostly jewellery, which are a lot more than £300 - and we're not going to put them in a shipping container! Does anyone know an insurance company or broker who can sort out a one-way emmigration travel policy with a much higher valuables limit?
Old Jan 26th 2008, 5:40 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel insurance for emmigration

Have you considered taking the jewellery with you in hand luggage and keeping it on your lap?

Buzzy
Old Feb 25th 2008, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Kangy-roo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, We are just trying to sort out travel insurance for our flight out as well. I agree the itemised values are low. However when I read further in all the policies although the insurance policy is for a "single flight" you will only be covered if you can give a date for your return to the UK. I have rung round several of the larger insurance brokers and they have all confirmed we would not be insured. What's more they are not interested in supplying an insurance policy that would be suitable. Could anybody please advise me on what they did, I am starting to loose the plot.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

I have an annual travel policy for unlimited journeys worldwide for myself and my family that expires after the date we're hoping to be in Oz by....
I was going to change the contact address to my parents house once we've sold our house - but now i'm wondering whether this would cover us for our initial journey to Oz? I was thinking that it would but perhaps i need to check???
Old Feb 25th 2008, 7:47 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

www.go-walkabout.co.uk offer one way insurance for emigration.

Buzzy
Old Feb 25th 2008, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

Buzzy
We used them too.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 10:43 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by James516
Hi all, I had a look at some of the one-way travel insurance in the sticky, but it all seemed to have pretty low personal baggage and valuables cover - £300 maximum for any single item. We've got a few things, mostly jewellery, which are a lot more than £300 - and we're not going to put them in a shipping container! Does anyone know an insurance company or broker who can sort out a one-way emmigration travel policy with a much higher valuables limit?
Try Direct Travel Insurance. (www.direct-travel.co.uk) You'll need to phone them as it doesn't mention emigration one way travel insurance on their website but they do do it. We're using them. They're very good.

Last edited by BAY; Feb 25th 2008 at 10:45 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

Buzzy
That's great, thanks for your help. We are on our way!!! :-)

Last edited by Kangy-roo; Feb 26th 2008 at 12:34 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 12:33 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by travelbug
I have an annual travel policy for unlimited journeys worldwide for myself and my family that expires after the date we're hoping to be in Oz by....
I was going to change the contact address to my parents house once we've sold our house - but now i'm wondering whether this would cover us for our initial journey to Oz? I was thinking that it would but perhaps i need to check???
I had one of these too. I decided to "do the right thing" and declare our intentions.They covered for 14 days after departure date from UK - and then refunded unused portion! I would have to dig to find out the company though.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BAY
Try Direct Travel Insurance. (www.direct-travel.co.uk) You'll need to phone them as it doesn't mention emigration one way travel insurance on their website but they do do it. We're using them. They're very good.
Hi, thanks for this info. I have just rung both companies given. Both companies have been really helpful. Direct Travel quoted £64 for 2 adults 2 children for 17 days premium cover and Go Walkabout quoted £104 for same.

Thanks again for your speedy help!
Old Feb 26th 2008, 1:52 pm
Banned

fedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kangy-roo
Hi, thanks for this info. I have just rung both companies given. Both companies have been really helpful. Direct Travel quoted £64 for 2 adults 2 children for 17 days premium cover and Go Walkabout quoted £104 for same.

Thanks again for your speedy help!
Not too difficult to get insurance company's to take your money just wait till you claim, if they can wriggle out they.

each checked in baggage is covered by the airlines for over 800 pounds anyway.

I always take my valuables in hand luggage.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

lochaberlass will become famous soon enoughlochaberlass will become famous soon enough

I spent a whole day trying to get one way travel insurance sorted out, almost all we found said as soon as you reached the country of destination the policy ceases. However, we are doing some traveling in south america first and then have decided to take a few months round Oz before we settle. So if anyone is looking for something similar we finally found this insurance company: http://worldnomads.com/

Although we should be able to get medicare as soon as we get to Oz on our PR visas I wanted a back up in case it is difficult to get medicare without a permanent address.

Worldnomads checked with their underwriters that we would be covered in Oz, and they said yes as long as we are traveling about (and i have that in writing), and once we settled and had an address we wouldn't be able to claim, also if anything serious happened we would be repatriated back to the UK.

Hope that may help someone in the future.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 9:11 am
Banned

fedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nice

Originally Posted by lochaberlass
I spent a whole day trying to get one way travel insurance sorted out, almost all we found said as soon as you reached the country of destination the policy ceases. However, we are doing some traveling in south america first and then have decided to take a few months round Oz before we settle. So if anyone is looking for something similar we finally found this insurance company: http://worldnomads.com/

Although we should be able to get medicare as soon as we get to Oz on our PR visas I wanted a back up in case it is difficult to get medicare without a permanent address.

Worldnomads checked with their underwriters that we would be covered in Oz, and they said yes as long as we are traveling about (and i have that in writing), and once we settled and had an address we wouldn't be able to claim, also if anything serious happened we would be repatriated back to the UK.

Hope that may help someone in the future.
If you are a U.K. passport holder then you will get emergency treatment in Oz
under reciprocal health aggreements.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

BecciJ will become famous soon enough

Can someone please explain how emigration insurance differs from a normal travel insurance policy?

I am covered for travel through my current bank account, which i will still have when i leave for Oz. Is this ok?
Old Feb 29th 2008, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BecciJ
Can someone please explain how emigration insurance differs from a normal travel insurance policy?

I am covered for travel through my current bank account, which i will still have when i leave for Oz. Is this ok?
Hi BecciJ

That is something you would need to check with your insurance company.
Regarding what is the difference I don't really understand what the problem is. When I asked the insurance companies that turned me down they said "it was a higher risk", however they couldn't explain the logic of it. ...Go figure?

If your insurance doesn't cover you, the links given earlier in the thread are good, although "Fedupwithbritain" probably has a point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.