British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Travel Insurance: - advice needed. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/travel-insurance-advice-needed-506798/)

dave7370 Jan 16th 2008 8:30 pm

Travel Insurance: - advice needed.

when you made the move to Oz, did you get any insurance in place prior to moving?

Be it travel insurance, life insurance etc?

Not quite sure what to do, but the thought of not being covered at all is a bit worrying.

chris34uk Jan 16th 2008 9:55 pm

Re: Travel Insurance: - advice needed.

Originally Posted by dave7370 (Post 5798484)
when you made the move to Oz, did you get any insurance in place prior to moving?

Not quite sure what to do, but the thought of not being covered at all is a bit worrying.

we where thinking the same thing not sure what to do either :huh:

Wendy Jan 16th 2008 9:56 pm

We just used go walkabout for travel insurance, they do a migrating package. It covers you for 17 days, so plenty of time to get registered for medicare and any other insurance you want when you get here.

http://www.go-walkabout.co.uk/emigrating.php

want2bthere Jan 16th 2008 10:09 pm

we used the post office, they also do a 17 day one way cover:thumbsup:

Darren_Karen Jan 16th 2008 11:31 pm

we also used the post office, cheapest one for the same limit of cover. I had to ring to do (the guy at the counter didn't know how to do one way cover :() but the guy on the phone explained it was fine. 17 days was the max you could have.

Insurance is pretty cheap over here too. I couldn't be bothered ringing around for quotes (in the UK i'd have been online doing comparisons) and ended up with HBF for both car and home.

I'm still debating the whole private health insurance thing - but that's something we'll decide on when we're got a regular wage coming in!

Karen

moneypenny20 Jan 17th 2008 2:28 am

We used Go walkabout and thankfully didn't need to use it. We had life insurance from the mortgage in the UK. When we finished with the mortgage, we checked with most of the personnel of the insurance company checking that it would still be valid for as long as we paid the premiums whether we were in the country or not. It was so we didn't rush to replace it when we got here although we did because it worked out cheaper this end and who knows when some jobsworth would decide it wasn't valid.

Pinkie Jan 17th 2008 3:28 am

Hi there

We used Trailfinders as their cover is really good for practical things that could go wrong, delays etc. One way cover for 62 days (could have got longer) was 198 GBP. That covered both of us and included any stopover destination too. I was going to just book online as I have before but they suggest you call if you want to do just one way and they're very easy to deal with. That way you're covered for illness and most belongings, the shipping was covered under a separate policy with the shipper. I suppose it depends how much you need covering? Good luck anyway :D

ray2gill Jan 17th 2008 3:59 am

One piece of advise I would give to anyone taking out travel insurance is to make sure that it includes repatriation (medivac) particularly of you are having a stopover. Accidents happen and you could end up critically ill stuck in a country with no friends or family support. This has happend to people and they have been stuck in some hell hole for months.

The other issue is if you have a stopover in Dubai you are not allowed to leave the hospital until all your bills are settled this is enforced by the police - medical care is not cheap. So if anyone is thinking of cost cutting and not taking out travel/medical insurance please think twice.

chris96 Jan 17th 2008 3:48 pm

Being as your flying from heathrow and after todays plane accident get the best possible insurance you can............

You buying me a beer tonight Dave???? - No crying on my shoulder too!

Chris

dave7370 Jan 17th 2008 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by chris96 (Post 5801073)
Being as your flying from heathrow and after todays plane accident get the best possible insurance you can............

You buying me a beer tonight Dave???? - No crying on my shoulder too!

Chris

Insurance nearly sorted buddy!:blink:

Aye, I'll get you a few beers, that way you'll be bladdered after your usual two pints:rofl: and I can nick your car keys so we can get us and all our luggage to Heathrow in that huge jalopy you've got.:lol:

No crying from me either, just more drunken ramblings as per our leaving do on Saturday!:p