Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Travel insurance

Travel insurance

Old May 15th 2016, 12:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel insurance

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Buggered if I know how people travel without travel insurance. Get sick or injure yourself in a transit country, need to be repatriated to your home country, fall sick prior to travel and lose the value of your air ticket and accommodation - all of those scenarios would see you lose far more than the cost of your insurance.

Bit close to home at the moment, I've managed to get pleurisy on my visit home to Oz and I'm supposed to be going to Bali for a week tomorrow with one of my sisters. Doc appointment in an hour to declare whether I'm fit to travel. If I'm not, the only saving grace is my travel insurance will reimburse the $4,000 that my part of the trip cost.
Oh sorry to hear that SoS - hope you are well enough to return when the time comes!

I'm with you - the cost of repatriation etc - definitely worth the premium even though they get a bit steep when you are over 65
Old May 15th 2016, 12:43 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Oh sorry to hear that SoS - hope you are well enough to return when the time comes!

I'm with you - the cost of repatriation etc - definitely worth the premium even though they get a bit steep when you are over 65
Thanks quoll I'm going to put the insurance money away and use it for a nice weekend in London when my sister visits me in November
Old May 15th 2016, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Be aware that if you get sick/visit GP/ admitted to hospiral etc after taking out an insurance policy and don't tell the insurance company, then if you do travel your insurance policy is invalidated.

This happened to someone i know that had visited GP with a cough 2 weeks before travel and on flight had coughing fit requiring oxygen and then refused boarding onto International connecting flight till certified fit to travel.

This unplanned stopover of 4 days was in the USA where we all know how expensive medical treatment can be especially with no insurance!
Old May 15th 2016, 2:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cappuccino
Be aware that if you get sick/visit GP/ admitted to hospiral etc after taking out an insurance policy and don't tell the insurance company, then if you do travel your insurance policy is invalidated.

This happened to someone i know that had visited GP with a cough 2 weeks before travel and on flight had coughing fit requiring oxygen and then refused boarding onto International connecting flight till certified fit to travel.

This unplanned stopover of 4 days was in the USA where we all know how expensive medical treatment can be especially with no insurance!
Some companies require notification if meds are changed. My MIL's blood pressure meds where changed a few weeks before travel...the insurance company cancelled the policy.
Old May 15th 2016, 10:20 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I was really lucky with Amex. I'm booked for surgery on my knee the week after we get home so I told them and all they said was that I would not be covered for anything that happens related to the existing problem. I can live with that.
Old May 15th 2016, 10:21 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Certificate from doctor - 'unfit to travel'

Phone call to travel insurer - all the money I've spent on flights, accommodation and medical expenses (totaling over $4,000) will be refunded

I paid 194 pounds for an annual policy, and I'll be using it again over the coming months. Pretty cheap, considering I'm already $3,600 'in front'
Sorry to hear that
Old May 16th 2016, 1:22 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Sorry to hear that
Thanks Dorothy I shouldn't whinge though, my oldest sister is looking after me and she's a great believer in toddies made with organic lemons and honey, with a decent pour of Mr Walker's black label. Don't know that it's helping the pleurisy but it makes falling down quite fun.

ps my flights were with Garuda Indonesia on a business class promo fare ($500 cancellation fee), but they've just emailed me and said if I send them my medical certificate they'll refund the fare in full! I didn't expect that.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; May 16th 2016 at 1:24 am.
Old May 16th 2016, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Dorothy I shouldn't whinge though, my oldest sister is looking after me and she's a great believer in toddies made with organic lemons and honey, with a decent pour of Mr Walker's black label. Don't know that it's helping the pleurisy but it makes falling down quite fun.

ps my flights were with Garuda Indonesia on a business class promo fare ($500 cancellation fee), but they've just emailed me and said if I send them my medical certificate they'll refund the fare in full! I didn't expect that.
Hope you feel better soon Sos. At least you are with family .
Old May 23rd 2016, 11:27 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

40 pounds for an annual multi-trip policy? What company?

On your trip back to the UK, what if you became ill in transit, or at your transit stopover? A few months ago in Dubai, an uninsured person had an entirely unexpected brain hemorrhage. His medical bills are AU$225,000 and rising every day.

How anyone can think that it's worth taking this sort of risk, for the sake of 'saving' a few hundred dollars, is astonishing to me.
You are assuming that the insurance will pay out: one of the differences between Australian and other policies is that most of the former exclude previous history and define this as anything you've ever seen a doctor or medical professional about. In my seventies this actually covers just a out all of my carcase!

I the UK you may be charged an extra premium but at least you are covered. In Oz you pay a hell of a lot more yet can still not be covered when you think you are.

I wrote to Doc Holiday of the Sunday Telegraph on just this subject a couple of years ago. His reply: "I agree entirely".

Funnily enough I was talking to a cruise rep last week and we were staggered at how American insurers will cover aged cruisers who are incapable of walking half a dozen steps. They presumably make a profit, so why are Australian companies as they are? The answer, of course, is because they can.
Old May 23rd 2016, 11:41 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Wol
You are assuming that the insurance will pay out: one of the differences between Australian and other policies is that most of the former exclude previous history and define this as anything you've ever seen a doctor or medical professional about. In my seventies this actually covers just a out all of my carcase!

I the UK you may be charged an extra premium but at least you are covered. In Oz you pay a hell of a lot more yet can still not be covered when you think you are.

I wrote to Doc Holiday of the Sunday Telegraph on just this subject a couple of years ago. His reply: "I agree entirely".

Funnily enough I was talking to a cruise rep last week and we were staggered at how American insurers will cover aged cruisers who are incapable of walking half a dozen steps. They presumably make a profit, so why are Australian companies as they are? The answer, of course, is because they can.
Nah, not assuming anything Wol, I don't have that much faith in insurance companies!

Both Australia and UK travel insurers ask about existing conditions etc. For the recent policy I bought in the UK, I had to declare every condition that I'd seen a doctor for in the last 12 months, as well as any existing conditions.

I've had travel insurance from both Oz and UK insurers that covered a pre-existing condition I have (once I completed an additional questionnaire, of course!).

I've received reimbursements from Oz insurers on the 2 occasions I've claimed, once for medical expenses and once when my bag was snatched off me by a guy on a motorbike in Vietnam. My UK insurer is going to reimburse me the majority of the money I've paid for the Bali trip that wasn't.

I don't see much difference at all between travel insurance in the UK and Oz. Don't know about the US though.
Old May 24th 2016, 1:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly there are receptacle agreements between Australia and the two countries to are travelling to UK and Italy. In case of medical emergency you would be covered.

If you want insurance for cancelations or lost luggage that's something else. We are increasingly being conditioned to living in a culture of fear. Only spend what you consider necessary.
Old May 24th 2016, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Firstly there are receptacle agreements between Australia and the two countries to are travelling to UK and Italy. In case of medical emergency you would be covered.

If you want insurance for cancelations or lost luggage that's something else. We are increasingly being conditioned to living in a culture of fear. Only spend what you consider necessary.
Yes but you need to also be covered by insurance for medical emergency when you are in transit especially via the USA which is a common route. Anything could happen on the flight or at the airport.
Old May 24th 2016, 5:43 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by the troubadour

If a British citizen had an accident/illness in Australia, they'd receive emergency care, including emergency surgery, free of charge. Once they were medically stable, all aftercare, including rehabilitation and repatriation if necessary, is not covered. Works the same if you reverse countries.

People have accidents, as drivers, passengers, pedestrians, or just tripping over. People have strokes and heart attacks, even healthy people with no previous history. People can spend months in rehab, learning to walk, eat, talk again.

I'm certainly not 'conditioned to live in fear'. For a fraction of the cost of my airfare, I can ensure that if I have an accident or get sick I receive the treatment I need, when I need it, for however long I need it, and I won't have to bankrupt myself or my family to pay for it.

You can call it being 'conditioned to live in fear' if you want to. I call it being responsible and sensible.
Old May 24th 2016, 6:31 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

As it happens, Mrs Wol and I were disembarked from our cruise ship last week and she was taken to hospital in the USA. We've just started regaining our trip after six days bed rest and zero food/liquids. Our credit card insurance facility is covering us.

The costs will be substantial: there was no question in this case of a previous condition - it was completely out of the blue - and the insurer was excellent although naturally we had to furnish them with mounds of information.

TG for a good internet connection at the hospital, and for my camera which let me send photos of the documentation!

Tip: take with you anything relevant: credit card statements when you "activated" the insurance by paying for the trip etc.
Old May 24th 2016, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Most people think of possessions when it comes to travel insurance but as one who has been repatriated with a broken back, I wouldn't ever go anywhere without it.

Another thing, slightly off topic but I enter a lot of expensive races which always involve multiple days at hotels. These races can be overseas but some are in the UK. It never occurred to me to get travel insurance for a domestic holiday but someone suggested it a few years ago and I've used it twice when i've had to pull out of races a few weeks early.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.