Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Travel Insurance

Travel Insurance

Old Nov 10th 2002, 9:28 am
Just Joined

Beach Bums is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travel Insurance

We'll be leaving the UK early January as first time migrants and arriving in Oz early Feb stopping off en route for a holiday.

We will have to take some expensive equipment with us - laptop, digital camera etc for use at work when we get to Australia, but need suitable insurance for the duration of our trip until we eventually arrive.

Can anyone recommend a suitable 'travel' insurance policy that would cover us for the one way trip?

Many thanks in anticipation.
Old Nov 10th 2002, 10:48 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

I am not being rude when I say it is worth putting a search on the forum for 'insurance' there have been lots of posts on this subject in the past and lots of varied answers. FYI I asked my own current annual UK insurers and they said they would only cover me for the flight and till I arrived at my new accomodation door, after that I was on my own! Which is what we did in the end and followed up here the next day with local insurance because we were renting and had no need for building insurance it hasn't been too expensive. Company I chose here for instant OK - NRMA, shops in lots of local high streets. If you do not have annual insurance that covers traveling with your laptop etc, again try the search I think there has been a few good suggestions.

Best of luck
Old Nov 10th 2002, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

Beach Bums is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info Sandra. We have an annual policy but it only covers us for up to 28 days for any one trip. As we will be travelling for slightly more than 28 days and not returning to the UK I'm guessing that this may cause a problem, especially if they demand to see a return ticket or something in the event of a claim - I know what insurers are like, I worked for one for over 10 years and to say they don't like honouring their commitments is a bit a understatement!