British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Travel Exemptions for Research? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/travel-exemptions-research-934925/)

E2905 Sep 20th 2020 7:43 pm

Travel Exemptions for Research?

Hi,

I am currently living in the UK and have received an offer and scholarship to study a Higher Degree by Research in Brisbane. This will involve undertaking research related to a medical pilot scheme, and I am unable to start my work online. I was originally supposed to start in October, but my start date has been pushed back to April 21.

I was wondering if anyone had any insight into whether any HDR students have been able to get travel exemptions to travel to Australia? I’m in quite a different position to most international students in that I cannot do any of the work online, I will be working on an important medical research project, and that this is a time-sensitive project so my offer cannot be continually extended.

I’m concerned the travel ban will extend into next year, so I’m trying to find out if there’s anything I can do, as I’m desperate to get out there as soon as possible. I have seen information that approx 40 international students are arriving through exemptions each month, but it’s very unclear what the reasons are for this and whether this is due to their research or other compassionate/family reasons. If anyone knows anything about this I’d be very appreciative!

Thanks

Beoz Sep 21st 2020 12:26 am

Re: Travel Exemptions for Research?

Originally Posted by E2905 (Post 12912361)
Hi,

I am currently living in the UK and have received an offer and scholarship to study a Higher Degree by Research in Brisbane. This will involve undertaking research related to a medical pilot scheme, and I am unable to start my work online. I was originally supposed to start in October, but my start date has been pushed back to April 21.

I was wondering if anyone had any insight into whether any HDR students have been able to get travel exemptions to travel to Australia? I’m in quite a different position to most international students in that I cannot do any of the work online, I will be working on an important medical research project, and that this is a time-sensitive project so my offer cannot be continually extended.

I’m concerned the travel ban will extend into next year, so I’m trying to find out if there’s anything I can do, as I’m desperate to get out there as soon as possible. I have seen information that approx 40 international students are arriving through exemptions each month, but it’s very unclear what the reasons are for this and whether this is due to their research or other compassionate/family reasons. If anyone knows anything about this I’d be very appreciative!

Thanks

You should apply and see what happens. Pitch it as a benefit to Australia.

The Queensland government (where Brisbane is) are playing big time politics with no consistency at the moment, they won't let people in who live next to the border and haven't seen a COVID case for many months but they let Tom Hanks back in after being a former COVID patient based on "its good for the economy". One would have thought NSW and COVID numbers on par with Queensland are good for the economy too.

Its a roll the dice moment.

spouse of scouse Sep 21st 2020 2:02 am

Originally Posted by E2905 (Post 12912361)
Hi,

Thanks

All you can do is apply but truthfully, your chances aren't good. While there have been some exemptions granted to international students, these appear to be mainly years 11 and 12 secondary students who had already commenced their studies in Australia. Post-secondary students, even those holding a current (previously granted) study visa for Australia, would battle to enter Australia at the moment.

There is also a cap on the number of arrivals into Australia, and although priority is given to Australian citizens and permanent residents there are still nearly 25,000 who've been trying to get home for months.

Apply for an exemption, you don't have anything to lose. All Universities are aware of the current restrictions and will hopefully be prepared to reissue offers once Australia's borders reopen to international travel. Best of luck.

E2905 Sep 21st 2020 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12912429)
You should apply and see what happens. Pitch it as a benefit to Australia.

The Queensland government (where Brisbane is) are playing big time politics with no consistency at the moment, they won't let people in who live next to the border and haven't seen a COVID case for many months but they let Tom Hanks back in after being a former COVID patient based on "its good for the economy". One would have thought NSW and COVID numbers on par with Queensland are good for the economy too.

Its a roll the dice moment.

Thank you. I would hope it truly would seem as be a benefit to Australia as I was selected for the project over a large number of domestic applicants, and of course public health is on people’s minds at the moment.

The inconsistency is definitely what’s scaring me at the moment, I’m very afraid I’ll need to quit my job before hearing about any potential extensions, and then get rejected, which would be very difficult for me financially!

E2905 Sep 21st 2020 8:14 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12912442)
All you can do is apply but truthfully, your chances aren't good. While there have been some exemptions granted to international students, these appear to be mainly years 11 and 12 secondary students who had already commenced their studies in Australia. Post-secondary students, even those holding a current (previously granted) study visa for Australia, would battle to enter Australia at the moment.

There is also a cap on the number of arrivals into Australia, and although priority is given to Australian citizens and permanent residents there are still nearly 25,000 who've been trying to get home for months.

Apply for an exemption, you don't have anything to lose. All Universities are aware of the current restrictions and will hopefully be prepared to reissue offers once Australia's borders reopen to international travel. Best of luck.

Thank you, it’s useful to hear about the Year 11/12 students as I was unclear about who the student visa holders who had been able to enter were. I realise many international students are stuck in their home countries, I just wish I could start my course online like undergrad students and get over there as soon as I could.

I’m sure the university would be happy to reissue an offer, but the issue would likely come from the funding for the research project (it is funded by Queensland Health). If they decide this part of the project can’t wait then I’ll essentially just be dropped from the project.

Beoz Sep 21st 2020 8:17 am

Originally Posted by E2905 (Post 12912501)
Thank you. I would hope it truly would seem as be a benefit to Australia as I was selected for the project over a large number of domestic applicants, and of course public health is on people’s minds at the moment.

The inconsistency is definitely what’s scaring me at the moment, I’m very afraid I’ll need to quit my job before hearing about any potential extensions, and then get rejected, which would be very difficult for me financially!

This inconsistency is a good thing for you. You would be told no if it were consistent.

Just apply first before you quit your job.

E2905 Sep 21st 2020 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12912507)
This inconsistency is a good thing for you. You would be told no if it were consistent.

Just apply first before you quit your job.

I suppose that’s a good way to look at it, thanks!

I need to give 2 months notice to my job, and my understanding is that you can’t submit an exemption application more than 3 months before your travel date (mine would be in March), so I probably wouldn’t hear back until after I handed in my notice. I have seen lots of people discuss being rejected multiple times but continuing to apply and eventually being accepted, so I would likely just do that - although I’m sure actually getting on a flight would be an even bigger hurdle if I were successful

spouse of scouse Sep 21st 2020 8:21 am

Originally Posted by E2905 (Post 12912509)
I suppose that’s a good way to look at it, thanks!

I need to give 2 months notice to my job, and my understanding is that you can’t submit an exemption application more than 3 months before your travel date (mine would be in March), so I probably wouldn’t hear back until after I handed in my notice. I have seen lots of people discuss being rejected multiple times but continuing to apply and eventually being accepted, so I would likely just do that - although I’m sure actually getting on a flight would be an even bigger hurdle if I were successful

Don't forget that you'll need a visa prior to applying for an exemption.

E2905 Sep 21st 2020 8:26 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12912510)
Don't forget that you'll need a visa prior to applying for an exemption.

Yep, that’s my first priority! I’m waiting for my scholarship letter to come through (it’s had to go through the uni legal team due to a change in funding year), and I’ll then be able to apply. The government is now granting visas for international students even though they can’t come to Australia right now, so fingers crossed that will be ok.

spouse of scouse Sep 21st 2020 8:31 am

Originally Posted by E2905 (Post 12912512)
Yep, that’s my first priority! I’m waiting for my scholarship letter to come through (it’s had to go through the uni legal team due to a change in funding year), and I’ll then be able to apply. The government is now granting visas for international students even though they can’t come to Australia right now, so fingers crossed that will be ok.

If the govt. is now granting visas then that's one worry out of the way. One down, two to go!