Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Travel/ car insurance

Travel/ car insurance

Old May 31st 2006, 4:52 pm
visa granted 16/5/06

soonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond repute
Default Travel/ car insurance

Hi
We finally booked our flights today,(yipeee!) and we were looking at hiring a car for 2 weeks until we find our feet.
The travel agent (trailfinders) who have been great and very competative, said that if we get insurance for 24 days it will be extra insurance on top of the car hire insurance quoted. I have (naturally) shopped around and been told by lots of insurers that they won't insure us after we reach customs in Perth(??) because we are not returning, has anyone else come accross this, and how and what did you do about the care hire - it seems to be just the basic insurance,(like they do in the US) but you ideally need the extra cover- just in case....

We had a quotation for just plain travel insurance for £45.07 with insureandgo.com(which covers until we reach customs and for 4 days travel stopping at S.pore for 2 nights) in comparison to trailfinders insurance for £85.00 this, is for all four of us

Any comments would be appreciated
Thanks
Old May 31st 2006, 11:00 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel/ car insurance

Try Go Walkabout insurance. Lots have used them and you get 17 days cover once you arrive here. Also they cover the loss of car rental deposit, due to accident etc.

http://www.go-walkabout.co.uk/

Neil.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 8:23 am
visa granted 16/5/06

soonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
Try Go Walkabout insurance. Lots have used them and you get 17 days cover once you arrive here. Also they cover the loss of car rental deposit, due to accident etc.

http://www.go-walkabout.co.uk/

Neil.
Thanks very much for that, I will look at sorting that out. (thanks for taking the time!)
Old Jun 1st 2006, 9:21 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Be very very careful with rental car insurance, many local companies here in Perth offer insurance that is really inadequate and you wont kknow about it until you have a problem. Many of the companies only insure the car for a 2 vehicle accident, in other words if you damage the car in a single vehicle accident then no cover what so ever. Or if the car is damaged say in a car park and you don;t know who did it, then no insurance. I actually asked one outright yesterday what would happen if someone swerved to avoid and oncoming vehicle and ran off the road damaging the vehicle beyond repair, he sad they would take you to court for the replacement cost of the vehicle and costs

Like i said be very very careful.

Lynn
Old Jun 1st 2006, 4:54 pm
visa granted 16/5/06

Originally Posted by movetoperth
Be very very careful with rental car insurance, many local companies here in Perth offer insurance that is really inadequate and you wont kknow about it until you have a problem. Many of the companies only insure the car for a 2 vehicle accident, in other words if you damage the car in a single vehicle accident then no cover what so ever. Or if the car is damaged say in a car park and you don;t know who did it, then no insurance. I actually asked one outright yesterday what would happen if someone swerved to avoid and oncoming vehicle and ran off the road damaging the vehicle beyond repair, he sad they would take you to court for the replacement cost of the vehicle and costs

Like i said be very very careful.

Lynn

Blimey!!
Thanks, have you heard of a car rental place in Scarborough called wwwdrivewest.co.au, they seem competative and are recommended on poms in perth, (their booklet) just wondering now about the insurance?
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 1:04 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soonbethere
Blimey!!
Thanks, have you heard of a car rental place in Scarborough called wwwdrivewest.co.au, they seem competative and are recommended on poms in perth, (their booklet) just wondering now about the insurance?
I don't use them so i'm not sure what they cover, but i've just looked on their website and they have an excess of $2000 to reduce it costs $16 per day, they also don't reduce the excess if its a single vehicle accident or a wildlife related accident.

Thier rates seem high also, a magna sedan for a 7 day plus hire is $56, i booked a magna sedan through city centre car rentals yesterday and they charged $47 per day, xs is $800 and you can lower it by paying $5 per day, they will even leave it at the airport for you to pick up for $15.

Sometimes it worth while checking online with Avis or Hertz too sometimes they can have good specials on, i know beiong an AA member used to save you a heap on Hertz bookings, again check what they are insuring you for.

The two companies who this week told me they wouldn't insure for a single vehicle accident are Bayswater and Northside.

Lynn
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 8:53 am
visa granted 16/5/06

Originally Posted by movetoperth
I don't use them so i'm not sure what they cover, but i've just looked on their website and they have an excess of $2000 to reduce it costs $16 per day, they also don't reduce the excess if its a single vehicle accident or a wildlife related accident.

Thier rates seem high also, a magna sedan for a 7 day plus hire is $56, i booked a magna sedan through city centre car rentals yesterday and they charged $47 per day, xs is $800 and you can lower it by paying $5 per day, they will even leave it at the airport for you to pick up for $15.

Sometimes it worth while checking online with Avis or Hertz too sometimes they can have good specials on, i know beiong an AA member used to save you a heap on Hertz bookings, again check what they are insuring you for.

The two companies who this week told me they wouldn't insure for a single vehicle accident are Bayswater and Northside.

Lynn

Lynn
Thats great information, thanks, I am going to look into City centre car rentals, hope they have a website!
Cheers again
Annette