Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Travel ban exceptions

Travel ban exceptions

Old Mar 24th 2020, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

TessD is just really niceTessD is just really niceTessD is just really niceTessD is just really niceTessD is just really niceTessD is just really niceTessD is just really niceTessD is just really nice
Default Travel ban exceptions

Hi there, does anyone know what the exceptions are regarding the travel ban? Ive relocated to UK and my husband is in Melbourne for another week to finalise the sale of our house. He will be travelling one way. Does that make a difference?
Thanks 🤗
Old Mar 24th 2020, 10:00 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel ban exceptions

Originally Posted by TessD
Hi there, does anyone know what the exceptions are regarding the travel ban? Ive relocated to UK and my husband is in Melbourne for another week to finalise the sale of our house. He will be travelling one way. Does that make a difference?
Thanks 🤗
I believe that unless he's either an aid worker or on government business he won't be able to travel. If you can get him a flight today then I would say do it. Houses can be sold from overseas.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.sbs...2eaf60%3famp=1
Old Mar 24th 2020, 10:16 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks 🤗
Is he an Australian citizen? Dual citizen? Has a job in the UK?

Options to return to the UK are disappearing by the day...and even by Friday they could be less.

What routing does he currently have to the UK?
Old Mar 24th 2020, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

TessD is just really niceTessD is just really niceTessD is just really niceTessD is just really niceTessD is just really niceTessD is just really niceTessD is just really niceTessD is just really nice

Thanks Dorothy, yes the house sale can be done by the conveyancer but the house pack up doesn’t happen until next Monday. He may have to stay with friends until the ban is lifted.
Old Mar 24th 2020, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

Hi bcworld, he’s got dual nationality and no he doesn’t have a job yet. He’s got a ticket with Emirates but that’s now cancelled. He will come back anyway he can, not fussy on a particular route. I came over first to secure a property and he is finishing up things there.
Old Mar 24th 2020, 10:30 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

He will come back anyway he can, not fussy on a particular route.
You don't get to be fussy!
Transit via Singapore and Hong Kong is no longer allowed.
As you say, Dubai is closed.
I understand via Kuala Lumpur and Doha are still options but understandably flights are full, or close to full.
I know that Thai Airways flights to Australia are stopping, but transit there requires a negative COVID-19 result that no doctor in Australia is going to use a test for.
There is definitely a backlog of stranded people now in Aus, particularly due to the new Singapore transit restriction. I suspect the only way some will get out is on government organised rescue flights.
Old Mar 24th 2020, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks again bcworld, I’ll check out those two routes and see if anything is available. I understand why Australia has brought in this measure but he won’t be coming back to Australia and will go into isolation on arrival here.
Old Mar 25th 2020, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

He needs to get out whatever way, as quickly as possible. But really it may be too late.

Looking at Tullamarine's Departures board - the Melbourne-Perth-London flight on 26/3 is still available.

That doesn't mean that flight will actually happen, there are tickets left on it, the domestic leg will happen, or a whole variety of other variables. That is a Qantas flight and Qantas says it is stopping international flying "at the end of March" and we are at the end of March. I would take the earliest available ticket on that flight and not pussy-foot around thinking if there are two or three other flights available he can take the later one.

My guess would be a dual national Aus-UK, with a one-way ticket to the UK, intending to migrate permanently there, with proof of house sale here - would probably get an exception. The aim of the ban is to stop Australians leaving and then coming back with virus, and your partner is not coming back. But I don't make the rules.

Old Mar 25th 2020, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you, I hope your last paragraph is the case and he manages to get something. I’ll post an update once it’s done.
Old Mar 25th 2020, 9:01 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

Word is that BA have come to an agreement with Singapore authorities to be allowed to carry passengers on BA16 SYD-SIN-LHR. Passengers will not leave the aircraft in Singapore. The last 2 days since the change in Singapore transit regs UK bound passengers have arrived at the airport but been denied boarding. We'll see what happens today.

Qatar Airways is also firming up as one that is going to push on for a bit longer...I would be booking this if I was in Melbourne and there was any availability.

Last edited by bcworld; Mar 25th 2020 at 9:03 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2020, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

There seems to be some availability with Qatar. Will check that out and also BA, cheers.
Old Mar 26th 2020, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

It seems he needs to apply for an exemption - https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/news-...LsLwfVmFjN9Cls and https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help...9-enquiry-form
Old Mar 26th 2020, 1:01 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by louie
None of the reasons for exemption apply though.

He is likely covered by the 'ordinarily resident in another country' (which does not need to apply for the exemption), but is in a very difficult position to prove that. I wonder if they are just leaving it to the border force at passport control to deal with this?
Old Mar 26th 2020, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Why not - "I am an Australian citizen or permanent resident and need to travel outside of Australia" - then either "People who are travelling on urgent and unavoidable personal business" or "On compassionate or humanitarian grounds"?
Old Mar 26th 2020, 4:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again bcworld, I’ll check out those two routes and see if anything is available. I understand why Australia has brought in this measure but he won’t be coming back to Australia and will go into isolation on arrival here.
From here:
https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/news-...LsLwfVmFjN9Cls
people ordinarily resident in a country other than Australia

Sounds like he has one foot resident in the UK. Probably worth applying, they can only say no.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.