Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Transporting Valuables?

Transporting Valuables?

Old May 7th 2004, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

lizzel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transporting Valuables?

When we migrate to OZ, I want to take with me some valuable jewellery. Have been thinking that the best place would be in my hand luggage so they are with me at all times, (if I loose them then its my fault)! but was wondering if anyone knows of any problems that could occur with customs etc at the airports?
Dont really fancy putting them with the rest of my stuff that we are shipping over!
Does anyone have any other ideas?

Ta. Liz
Old May 7th 2004, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

jasper pentop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Transporting Valuables?

Originally posted by lizzel
When we migrate to OZ, I want to take with me some valuable jewellery. Have been thinking that the best place would be in my hand luggage so they are with me at all times, (if I loose them then its my fault)! but was wondering if anyone knows of any problems that could occur with customs etc at the airports?
Dont really fancy putting them with the rest of my stuff that we are shipping over!
Does anyone have any other ideas?

Ta. Liz

I would like to know too! I supposed wearing it/hand luggage... customs?! Hmm maybe only if was new and to a certain value? I dont know!
We arent taking travel insurance (at our peril?!) so would like to see what others think
Old May 7th 2004, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

lizzel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Transporting Valuables?

Originally posted by jasper pentop
I would like to know too! I supposed wearing it/hand luggage... customs?! Hmm maybe only if was new and to a certain value? I dont know!
We arent taking travel insurance (at our peril?!) so would like to see what others think

I hadn't thought about wearing it! Still I don't suppose that I could though. Everything is very old (was left to me by my grandmother) and has been in a safe for years, but I don't want to leave it behind with other family members as it's for me to wear on my wedding day!
Is there some regulation about the value of it then that you know of?

Liz.
Old May 7th 2004, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Definitely dont put your valuables in your check-in baggage.

A friend of mine once returned home from a business trip to South Africa, and when unpacking his suitcase, he found an (empty) womans purse, along with a South African baggage handlers ID pass!