British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   translation on ceefax? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/translation-ceefax-403094/)

dougggy Oct 19th 2006 12:19 pm

translation on ceefax?

Quigley’s drink-drive daze
19th October 2006, 8:00 WST

Labor MP John Quigley has been pining for the good ol’ days when you could get a skinful at a suburban pub, drive home after 20 drinks and not have to worry about the wallopers.

The former police union lawyer also revealed during debate on liquor licensing reform that he had not shouted a round of drinks in ages.

“I have stood in a big school many times in my life, but it is a long while since I did so,” he told Parliament on Tuesday night.

“We had massive schools at the police canteen . . . and we could end up buying for 20. By the time we stood our rounds we had had 20 drinks and we would drive home and there was not a problem.”

Using some hip lingo from the 60s, Mr Quigley also said he had tried to explain to his wife the drinking habits of “old” Perth.

“It really was a gas and I enjoyed it,” he said.

Mr Quigley recalled that in “old” Perth there was no Sunday trading in suburban hotels, only the swim-throughs better known as Sunday sessions.

“The great sessions were at the Waikiki in Warnbro Sound, the Parkerville and the Mundaring,” he reminisced.

“We would go to the Waikiki . . . I remember drinking out of jugs and a band playing Running Bear, to which all the people would stamp their feet.”

Liberal MP John McGrath chimed in and reminded him they also played Gloria.

“Yes, and totally tanked we would find our way to the carpark,” Mr Quigley continued.

“There used to be a burger bar near what was known as the Rose Gardens in Stirling Highway.

“That was a rendezvous point after we were fully liquored. A couple of people may have had a crash or rolled the car and we would laugh about it the next day.”

Not that Mr Quigley has to worry about driving these days after a few drinks.

His wife Michelle is pregnant.

“I have a permanent skipper at the moment,” he said. “She might be a skipper with an expanding girth, but she’s a sober and beautiful skipper.”

The West Australian

:confused:

- I am missing something here -

1 - are WA politicians proud to drink drive - this sems to be the implication of the story

2 - whats a skipper

3 - why is this story newsworthy

4 - The West is not quite The Washington Post ?

GinaUK Oct 19th 2006 3:42 pm

Re: translation on ceefax?

- I am missing something here -

2 - whats a skipper?
A "skipper" is the master or captain of a vessel, i.e. boat, ship etc.

Quigley means that he has a permanent chauffeur, but mayeb he had too much to drink and got his words confused :D

Gina