British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   transferring visa to new passport? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/transferring-visa-new-passport-310971/)

katie_w Jun 28th 2005 2:27 pm

transferring visa to new passport?

hi all

my daughters passport is about to expire, does anybody know if its possible to just get the visa transferred into new passport?

k

Santa Jun 28th 2005 3:01 pm

Re: transferring visa to new passport?

Providing the Visa is still valid, I'm sure it is, but I suspect you'll need to take it a long to Dimia and they will stick a new Visa in.

katie_w Jun 28th 2005 3:06 pm

ta
am back living in uk at mo, so i guess its a trip to australia house then. i'll give em a ring tomorrow.

cheers for reply

k

Originally Posted by Santa
Providing the Visa is still valid, I'm sure it is, but I suspect you'll need to take it a long to Dimia and they will stick a new Visa in.

CORKER Jun 28th 2005 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by katie_w
hi all

my daughters passport is about to expire, does anybody know if its possible to just get the visa transferred into new passport?

k

I think somebody on here posted about this before. They said " when you apply for a new passport you get the old one back, just keep the old pass port and use it when you produce the new one "

I'm sure they said they had done this without any problems.

CORKER

jjonboy Jun 28th 2005 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by CORKER
I think somebody on here posted about this before. They said " when you apply for a new passport you get the old one back, just keep the old pass port and use it when you produce the new one "

CORKER

Correct! Also not sure of procedure off shore, but on shore you just go in to a Dimia office, take a deli counter style ticket and they will happily replicate your visa sticker in your new passport. Remember the sticker is only evidence of your visa, the actual "visa" is held on Immigrations systems

JAJ Jun 28th 2005 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by CORKER

CORKER

That's the official line from DIMIA and it's true as far as they are concerned. However there is evidence that a visa in an old passport does increase greatly the risk of a delay at check-in for an Australia bound flight if the airline staff don't know this.

Contacting anyone at Australia House London (at least in the immigration section) is often easier said than done. Fax may be the best way.

For a simple life, make sure all passports are fully up to date *before* getting any visas stamped.

Jeremy

MrsB Jun 28th 2005 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by katie_w
hi all

k

Our passports expired with our visas, before we left the UK. Got new passports, sent a letter to Australia House about a new label, and they said it could not be done in the UK.

Got to Australia, rang DIMIA, they said it could be done here, but you had to pay a fee (as usual - a fee for everything!). It was either $60 or $90???

We decided to carry both passports - now whenever we travel - we have 8 instead of 4!!

Hope that helps

renth Jun 29th 2005 12:54 am

Originally Posted by kendodd
We decided to carry both passports - now whenever we travel - we have 8 instead of 4!!

Hope that helps

Wait 'till you gert Aussie ones - 10 passports for my family of 5!

jjonboy Jun 29th 2005 12:58 am

Our passports expired with our visas, before we left the UK. Got new passports, sent a letter to Australia House about a new label, and they said it could not be done in the UK.

Got to Australia, rang DIMIA, they said it could be done here, but you had to pay a fee (as usual - a fee for everything!). It was either $60 or $90???

Hope that helps

i just smiled nicely and didn't get charged when i went in.... Maybe the girl was in a good mood or i was just lucky

JAJ Jun 29th 2005 2:16 am

It certainly is *possible* to get visas re-stamped in the UK (how do you think they cope when people lose their passports/visas)? However it's pretty clear from some other posts here that the AHC London do not like re-stamping visas.

Hope that helps
That's incorrect. There is only a fee for re-evidencing a resident return visa. Other types of PR visa can be re-stamped for free.

I suggest you try again, or alternatively bring the passports into a DIMIA office and politely ask for the visas to be re-stamped.

However it does seem to be pot luck as to whether they do it or not.

Bottom line is - for a simple life, make sure your passports are up to date when you apply for PR in the first place.

Jeremy

lesleys Jun 29th 2005 6:15 am

What happens with temporary residence visas please?

bleugh Jun 29th 2005 6:43 am

My passport expires next june when i'm about to go,
is it better to replace it now, or woulld it still be valid if it has the Auz visa sticker in?

i'd like to get away with two passports if i could!

katie_w Jun 29th 2005 8:29 am

thanks that makes it clearer ! :confused:

i'll try faxing them i guess. failing that we'll carry both

Its Easier said than done to make sure passports are up to date as kids passports are only 5 years, and when we got the visas she still had over 2 years on hers so we didn't even think of it.
Is it possible to get a renewal when almost half the life of the passport is left?

In hindsight I think having passports as up to date as possible is a good idea. So would renew if yours were to expire soonish.

cheers for all replies

JAJ Jun 29th 2005 11:25 am

Originally Posted by bleugh
My passport expires next june when i'm about to go,
is it better to replace it now, or woulld it still be valid if it has the Auz visa sticker in?

i'd like to get away with two passports if i could!

Unless you want delays at check-in for Australia bound flights, renew your passport now and have the visa put in a new passport.

Another point to bear in mind is that DIMIA will expect to see the passport valid up to the first entry date when they stamp the visas.

If your visas are already stamped, then you're stuck with it until you get to Australia, unless you can persuade the AHC London to restamp the visa.

Also - it's cheaper, easier and quicker to renew a British passport in the UK rather than at the High Commission in Canberra.

Jeremy

binky Jun 29th 2005 11:37 am

Hope that helps

I will have to do the same thing. As Jeremy suggests, did you ever have any problems with check in staff when presenting two passports? If so, how did you resolve it?