Reload this Page >

Transferring uk pounds to Aus$

Transferring uk pounds to Aus$

Old Jun 24th 2010, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

reedyclan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transferring uk pounds to Aus$

Hi to all

I am coming over to Melbourne in two weeks and was hoping if anyone can advise the best profitable way to get uk pounds transferred to Aus $?

I understand the rate is always changing, however, is their a good website to visit?

Appreciate all comments given.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 12:58 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transferring uk pounds to Aus$

Originally Posted by reedyclan
Hi to all

I am coming over to Melbourne in two weeks and was hoping if anyone can advise the best profitable way to get uk pounds transferred to Aus $?

I understand the rate is always changing, however, is their a good website to visit?

Appreciate all comments given.
Depending on how much you want to move - www.tranzfers.com (for £2000 or less) or www.ozforex.com (for larger amounts)
Old Jun 24th 2010, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

vopxxx is an unknown quantity at this point

When we moved over from London to Sydney in 2007 we used HiFX a lot of times (http://www.hifx.co.uk/) and very happy with it. The rate and service were good too.

You guys will love Melbourne, it is a very cosmopolitan and vibrant city. A bit colder than Sydney and has a European feel to it.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

reedyclan is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Transferring uk pounds to Aus$

Thanks for your replies

Once using the links that you guys have provided(thanks) Will I need to setup a Aus bank acc to enable me to (eventually) transfer a large amount of monies?
Old Jun 24th 2010, 8:32 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by reedyclan
Thanks for your replies

Once using the links that you guys have provided(thanks) Will I need to setup a Aus bank acc to enable me to (eventually) transfer a large amount of monies?
Yes. You can start this now with some banks from the UK such as with the National Australia Bank -http://www.nab.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/nab/nab/home/Personal_Finance/15/23

Or you can wait until you arrive in Australia, walk into any bank and open an account providing you have some ID. Your passport and a credit card is enough usually if you do it within a couple of weeks of arriving. The process you will find is a lot easier than with a UK bank and you get your account number on the spot and an ATM / Visa Debit card in a few days.

If you had opened the account from the UK they could have cards etc waiting for you at a branch.

I mention the NAB, not only because I bank with them, but there are no fees or very negligible ones for banking with them and they have branches and ATMs everywhere so are a good starting point.

There are many threads on the subject of which bank to use and many people have preferences but might I suggest one which is large to begin with low fees and then you can always switch to a different bank with the type of account which suits your banking needs.