Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Transferring UK pensions to Oz

Transferring UK pensions to Oz

Old Apr 23rd 2007, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

Lisa and Lance has a spectacular aura aboutLisa and Lance has a spectacular aura aboutLisa and Lance has a spectacular aura about
Question Transferring UK pensions to Oz

We have been here 6 weeks now and need to transfer our UK pensions over to an Australian superannuation fund. I've heard that only a few companies do this in Oz. Does anyone know who these are and which ones are the best with low fees etc?
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 2:13 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transferring UK pensions to Oz

Originally Posted by Lisa and Lance
We have been here 6 weeks now and need to transfer our UK pensions over to an Australian superannuation fund.
What kind of pensions are they? Why do you say you "need" to transfer in the first place?
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 2:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

We have been here 6 weeks now and need to transfer our UK pensions over to an Australian superannuation fund. I've heard that only a few companies do this in Oz. Does anyone know who these are and which ones are the best with low fees etc?
This post may help

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...21&postcount=9

or this thread

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ighlight=QROPS
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

Lisa and Lance has a spectacular aura aboutLisa and Lance has a spectacular aura aboutLisa and Lance has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by JAJ
What kind of pensions are they? Why do you say you "need" to transfer in the first place?
Becuase I read that if we dont transfer them over within 6 months of arriving we will get taxed heavily on them?
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 2:56 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Becuase I read that if we dont transfer them over within 6 months of arriving we will get taxed heavily on them?
Then you should read some more (what you've read is half-true).

What kind of pensions are they?
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Then you should read some more (what you've read is half-true).

What kind of pensions are they?
It's scary that people can contemplate such a large financial transaction without knowing the facts.

Don't forget that if you then leave Oz your pensions will probably not be able to be moved out.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

I have a stakeholder pension.

Where is the best place to read up on this and get some more info?
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 9:50 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I have a stakeholder pension.

Where is the best place to read up on this and get some more info?
Hi LL.
For starters read up on the subject on this website by putting "Pensions" in the search box.
That will bring up a heap of threads on the subject which you need to sift through for info on stake holders.
Best you do that first so you get a good feel for the subject then hit us with any questions.

I personally can't help you with the type of pension you have as mine was a final salary scheme.

Good luck

You'll find a list of the qualifying Australian super funds here
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/PENSIONSCHEMES/qrops-list.htm
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light

Ok so I didn't transfer within the 6 month timeframe. Planning to transfer mine over in next few months once my super scheme finally becomes a QROPS. So what's the go with the tax? How and when will I get taxed on it?
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 10:06 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sparkley23
Ok so I didn't transfer within the 6 month timeframe. Planning to transfer mine over in next few months once my super scheme finally becomes a QROPS. So what's the go with the tax? How and when will I get taxed on it?
15% on the GROWTH portion accrued from the date you became tax resident to the date of transfer.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bix
15% on the GROWTH portion accrued from the date you became tax resident to the date of transfer.
Thats cool, won't be a lot, but how and when do I get the tax demand? Can they take it from my pension or do I have to physically cough up?
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 10:37 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Thats cool, won't be a lot, but how and when do I get the tax demand? Can they take it from my pension or do I have to physically cough up?

Not sure about that but I think the receiving Superfund may pay it out of your funds.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

Wolf is just really niceWolf is just really niceWolf is just really niceWolf is just really niceWolf is just really niceWolf is just really niceWolf is just really niceWolf is just really nice

PENSIONS Mmmmmm!

If you're confused now, just wait til you read all the threads on here about bringing them or leaving them!

Some say get financial advice - why?
Just because you pay someone does it mean that you'll get true impartial advice?
Why trust a complete stranger from the 'yellow' pages'.

We did our own reasearch - I've 20yrs NHS, my wife 12yrs Police, we've decided to bring them over for one main reason, if one us us should die the other gets the entire fund.

Also if you decide to bring it over don't pay these firms who charge betwen 2-5% of the total fund to do so. You could use a firm who'll do it fee free.

Make sure the fund is QROPS, you'll find this on the British tax office www.

Good luck

Wolf.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 12:14 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Nowadays they take it from your pension. Remember that you can reduce the gain (and tax) by subtracting the costs of the transfer.

Old Apr 27th 2007, 7:26 am
Magnetic Member

magnetman is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Wolf
PENSIONS Mmmmmm!
Some say get financial advice - why?
Just because you pay someone does it mean that you'll get true impartial advice?
Why trust a complete stranger from the 'yellow' pages'.

We did our own reasearch - I've 20yrs NHS, my wife 12yrs Police, we've decided to bring them over for one main reason, if one us us should die the other gets the entire fund.

Wolf.
Have just had a very confused conversation with the ATO on whether overseas pension transfers are now to be taxable. According to the operator (who clearly had no knowledge of the situation but was reading the ATO web pages) overseas pension fund transfers are counted in the new changes. So if you can get your transfer in before June 30 (impossible) you can transfer up to $1m before being taxed at 46.5% on the excess. If as is more likely your transfer is after June 30 you can only transfer $150K a year or $450K in 3 years before being liable to the tax.

If anyone knows any different to this from experience please feel free to correct me - please

The relevant page was: http://www.ato.gov.au/print.asp?doc=...t/00094536.htm

Last edited by magnetman; Apr 27th 2007 at 8:00 am. Reason: added url

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.