Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Transferring Pensions to Australia

Transferring Pensions to Australia

Old May 19th 2003, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Richard & Lisa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transferring Pensions to Australia

I have a Company pension that I intend on transferring to Australia... However, I have had a quote off an International Financial Advisor of £600 to do so. I have been led to beleive it`s a very complicated process, can anybody give me advice on this, someones opinion who`s been through this, would be much appreciated.
Old May 19th 2003, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Andrew P is an unknown quantity at this point

Richard and Lisa,

I find this figure very hard to believe. If you go to an independent financial advisor in Australia surely they will arrange transfers without fee if you are adding to a pension fund you set up with them. Also not taxable in the first instance, the only thing you need to take into account is how much the transfer value of the poilcy is vs. the expected payout value should you leave it where it is. There's been a number of posts on the sire about pensions, have a look through using the search function.
Old May 19th 2003, 4:07 pm
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Transferring Pensions to Australia

Originally posted by Richard & Lisa
I have a Company pension that I intend on transferring to Australia... However, I have had a quote off an International Financial Advisor of £600 to do so. I have been led to beleive it`s a very complicated process, can anybody give me advice on this, someones opinion who`s been through this, would be much appreciated.

Transferring the pension is not always the best option (particularly if it's index linked in the UK). Remember most 'advisors' are offering services that get them commission, I found this very apparent at the migration show at sandown earlier this year - it was like watching a bunch of vultures!

In my case, when it gets closer I'm going to speak to an independant impartial advisor like Alan Collett who posts here regularly. Too much potential to lose serious money if you make the wrong call.
Old May 19th 2003, 4:37 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Andrew P
the only thing you need to take into account is how much the transfer value of the poilcy is vs. the expected payout value should you leave it where it is. There's been a number of posts on the sire about pensions, have a look through using the search function.
Don't forget the tax implications which are worth bringing into the equation. 1) On yearly gain if you leave in UK and it goes up, 2) transferred to Aus there are tax advantages when it pays out at retirement. Check out a good financial advisor's thoughts as Kentcoast suggests.

Cheers - Don