Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Transferring money....

Transferring money....

Old Aug 2nd 2004, 4:07 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transferring money....

We have already set up an Oz bank account with the Commonwealth Bank in Oz.

If we, for example, transfer money to Oz using HIFX, is that all we need? Or do we need to go to the Commonwealth Bank here in London for them to put the money?

This might be a daft question...but I just want to be sure as I have assumed that the account in Oz is all we need...dont want any nasty surprises right before we go....

Hels
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 4:09 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Transferring money....

Originally posted by Hels

If we, for example, transfer money to Oz using HIFX, is that all we need? Or do we need to go to the Commonwealth Bank here in London for them to put the money?

This might be a daft question...but I just want to be sure as I have assumed that the account in Oz is all we need...dont want any nasty surprises right before we go....

Hels
Send it to me, I'll look after it for you.
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 4:19 pm
Account Closed

Originally posted by Bordy
Send it to me, I'll look after it for you.

whats your exchange rate??

Old Aug 2nd 2004, 4:23 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

whats your exchange rate??

I'll exchange it for a bloody good Melbourne Ex Pats party.
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 4:26 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

And who could ask for a better rate of return than that?!
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 4:29 pm
Account Closed

Gonna wanna be a bloody good party.....and does that mean we can live with you then? Cause for the money we are sending over, the party is gonna have to go a very long time for it to be an attractive proposal....
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 4:40 pm
The Godfather

Gonna wanna be a bloody good party.....and does that mean we can live with you then? Cause for the money we are sending over, the party is gonna have to go a very long time for it to be an attractive proposal....

You haven't seen Hevs & Johanne when they get started, we will soon go through it.
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 4:46 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Hels
Hi Hels

We opened an account with the Commonwealth too, in London.

We have deposited some cash in it already and they have transfered it to main branch in Perth. Once we get there we will have it transferred to the local branch where we will be residing.

In fact my last salary is being deposited there too as we are winding up our UK accounts and credits cards.

So the answer to your question is you only need the one account if you want to keep things simple, you won't get any nasty surprises unless Nick Leeson has been re-hired by the Commonwealth :scared:

Walla
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 4:46 pm
Account Closed

You haven't seen Hevs & Johanne when they get started, we will soon go through it.

Well we will just have to put them on rations so that we get our moneys worth!!

Old Aug 2nd 2004, 4:48 pm
Account Closed

Originally posted by walla1
Hi Hels

We opened an account with the Commonwealth too, in London.

We have deposited some cash in it already and they have transfered it to main branch in Perth. Once we get there we will have it transferred to the local branch where we will be residing.

In fact my last salary is being deposited there too as we are winding up our UK accounts and credits cards.

So the answer to your question is you only need the one account if you want to keep things simple, you won't get any nasty surprises unless Nick Leeson has been re-hired by the Commonwealth :scared:

Walla

LOL....Gawd, that would be just my luck!!!

Actually, we havent opened an account here in London at all. Our account was opened in Oz.

So not sure how HIFX will transfer the money. Whether they need to put it into our bank this end, in the UK. Or if they send it to Oz directly.

Any ideas?
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 4:56 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

LOL....Gawd, that would be just my luck!!!

Actually, we havent opened an account here in London at all. Our account was opened in Oz.

So not sure how HIFX will transfer the money. Whether they need to put it into our bank this end, in the UK. Or if they send it to Oz directly.

Any ideas?
Hels

If you have an account in Oz then I wouldn't imagine there being a problem depositing in London, give them a bell they're very helpful

Number is 0207 7103990

Don't wory bout the Leeson fella, he has a criminal record so fails at the first post!!

Walla
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 5:02 pm
Account Closed

Originally posted by walla1
Hels

If you have an account in Oz then I wouldn't imagine there being a problem depositing in London, give them a bell they're very helpful

Number is 0207 7103990

Don't wory bout the Leeson fella, he has a criminal record so fails at the first post!!

Walla

Thanks for that Walla

Actually, I am going into the CBA in London tomorrow with anypan so might ask while they are setting up their account.

Will let ya know how I get on....

Hels
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 7:24 pm
togooff&things

So, is it better to set up an account 1st? I was just going to take cash and transferr £ to $ in Oz. Is that the wrong way? (spot the ignorant one ) but I thought the $ value was world over so it would not make a difference trading there or here? If I set up a bank account when i get there is that OK too?

Old Aug 2nd 2004, 7:33 pm
Account Closed

Originally posted by togooff&things
So, is it better to set up an account 1st? I was just going to take cash and transferr £ to $ in Oz. Is that the wrong way? (spot the ignorant one ) but I thought the $ value was world over so it would not make a difference trading there or here? If I set up a bank account when i get there is that OK too?

Now I may be completely off base here, so if someone has the right info...correct me, please!!

I know that you get asked how much cash you are bringing into Oz...they ask if its more than £10,000...I have never taken that amount in before so I dont know what happens to you if you do take more....(perhaps they take you into a back room and do horrible, unspeakable things to you.....like go through your cases and pull your smalls out and laugh at them or something... )

I dont know if it has tax implications or anything...but I am sure someone will know....

I am told that opening an account this end is pretty painless....maybe you could give them a call using that number Walla posted.

Good luck tho

Hels
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 7:37 pm
togooff&things

Now I may be completely off base here, so if someone has the right info...correct me, please!!

I know that you get asked how much cash you are bringing into Oz...they ask if its more than £10,000...I have never taken that amount in before so I dont know what happens to you if you do take more....(perhaps they take you into a back room and do horrible, unspeakable things to you.....like go through your cases and pull your smalls out and laugh at them or something... )

I dont know if it has tax implications or anything...but I am sure someone will know....

I am told that opening an account this end is pretty painless....maybe you could give them a call using that number Walla posted.

Good luck tho

Hels

Actually, all I'll have is around that mark ahyhow! No house to sell...only tv and stuff! Winging it totally really!:scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.