Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Transferring medical records from UK to Aus

Transferring medical records from UK to Aus

Old Nov 30th 2007, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

aussieant is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transferring medical records from UK to Aus

Can anyone tell me the procedure for transferring medical records ? will I have to physically obtain them and take them with me to Aus or is this something that my UK GP will arrange for some sort of fee?

grateful for any information

Ant
Old Nov 30th 2007, 9:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transferring medical records from UK to Aus

Originally Posted by aussieant
Can anyone tell me the procedure for transferring medical records ? will I have to physically obtain them and take them with me to Aus or is this something that my UK GP will arrange for some sort of fee?

grateful for any information

Ant

Unless you have ongoing medical conditions (and serious ones at that, as the docs here like to do their own tests) then there's no real need to bring them. Save your money for when you get here
Old Nov 30th 2007, 9:31 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

What she said If you have small children you will need their inoculations record.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 9:38 am
Account Closed

MaggieM is an unknown quantity at this point

The manager of our health centre had ours photocopied and posted them out to us. Our doctor here has never asked for them. So unless you have an ongoing medical condition, as Wendy says, where you need to show previous treatment for something ongoing, I wouldn't bother. Although I did have a laugh at some of the comments my doctors had made about me over the years.

If you have children and have those "red books" which show all of their jabs etc, you will need those to show what jabs your children have already had.

Also, we needed to get our young son Hep A and B here because it's one of the jabs children get in Queensland. Not sure if this is the case in other states. The jab is in three parts. It cost us $160 for the vaccine. Although it's free to children here who were born after either June or July 2000, sorry I can't remember which.

Hope this helps.

Maggie
Old Nov 30th 2007, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

aussieant is an unknown quantity at this point

my partner has a blood pressure condition so maybe it would be wise to have hers to hand for the Aus GP? perhaps we can get them copied

no kids so no probs there

thanks to you all for the help and info on this

much appreciated

Ant
Old Nov 30th 2007, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by aussieant
my partner has a blood pressure condition so maybe it would be wise to have hers to hand for the Aus GP? perhaps we can get them copied

no kids so no probs there

thanks to you all for the help and info on this

much appreciated

Ant
Hi Ant ...your doctor should be able to print off your medical records so you can bring them with you Make sure you find a doctor who you are comfortable with before handing them over.
My doctor in South Australia printed out mine for me and told me only to give it to the doctor who I finally decided on. I forgot his advice and gave them to the first doctor I went to....I soon discovered that I didn't like the practice at all....but they wouldn't give me them back.
I phoned my doctor in South Australia and he said they HAD to give me them back and if not then to get in touch with the AMA, which I did and they said I had to go and demand them. I didn't get anywhere with them...and eventually found a good doctor who phoned my doctor in SA and got another print-out from him
What a terrible practice that is in Cloverdale, WA
Old Nov 30th 2007, 11:42 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

My doctor here took a copy of the record and gave me the original back. My optician here did the same with my eye records. It's your document, they have no right to keep it I wouldn't have thought.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 6:24 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
My doctor here took a copy of the record and gave me the original back. My optician here did the same with my eye records. It's your document, they have no right to keep it I wouldn't have thought.
That's unusual. Those who hold the documents would be viewed as the data controller ie they own the documents which contain personal data.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

They did the same with me. I changed doctors when I moved and I just went into the old one and they printed off all my blood test results, medication details and whatever else was in there.

Although I have no idea why the new doctor needed them, cos she just did all the tests again anyway