Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Transferring funds from UK (First Direct) to NAB account?!

Transferring funds from UK (First Direct) to NAB account?!

Old Feb 16th 2010, 7:01 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Transferring funds from UK (First Direct) to NAB account?!

It's impossible, or so my lovely OH says!? The sort code and account number seems to be the issue, the NAB card doesn't even have those on it, so how do we do it. All the NAB card has on it is the 4 sets of 4 numbers along the middle and that's it! Please help!
Old Feb 16th 2010, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transferring funds from UK (First Direct) to NAB account?!

Have a look at your NAB statement - should be on there.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 9:14 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lesleys
Have a look at your NAB statement - should be on there.
The sort code is one digit too long apparently...
Old Feb 16th 2010, 9:59 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

What you need is the IBAN (which is your BSB & Account Number as one long number)

And your SWIFT (BIC) which should be on your NAB bank statments

From NAB Website:

How do I find out what my BSB/account number(s) is/are?

Your BSB (Bank State Branch) number is a 6 digit unique number that identifies the bank and branch where your account is held. All NAB BSB numbers start 083.

You can find your BSB number or your account number by:

* Logging onto Internet Banking and electing "Account Details" from the dropdown under "Account Info".
* Checking your paper statement.
* Calling Telephone Banking on 13 22 65 or +61 3 8641 9083.

Last edited by Mrs Jackaroo; Feb 16th 2010 at 10:02 am.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 7:22 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo
What you need is the IBAN (which is your BSB & Account Number as one long number)

And your SWIFT (BIC) which should be on your NAB bank statments

From NAB Website:

How do I find out what my BSB/account number(s) is/are?

Your BSB (Bank State Branch) number is a 6 digit unique number that identifies the bank and branch where your account is held. All NAB BSB numbers start 083.

You can find your BSB number or your account number by:

* Logging onto Internet Banking and electing "Account Details" from the dropdown under "Account Info".
* Checking your paper statement.
* Calling Telephone Banking on 13 22 65 or +61 3 8641 9083.
Thanks, that's brill, we'll try that later when bonzo gets home from work!
Old Feb 16th 2010, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

CH2Canada2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
It's impossible, or so my lovely OH says!? The sort code and account number seems to be the issue, the NAB card doesn't even have those on it, so how do we do it. All the NAB card has on it is the 4 sets of 4 numbers along the middle and that's it! Please help!
You might want to check out the exchange rate the bank will use and compare this against an online FX exchange site (where you send them your £££ from your UK account and they convert to $ and send these to your oz bank).

I have had examples of the past (albeit in US$ to £GBP) where my bank has offered to convert at 1.8 whereas a FX site offered 1.65.

When converting several thousand this makes a huge difference.

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 11:46 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CH2Canada2010
You might want to check out the exchange rate the bank will use and compare this against an online FX exchange site (where you send them your £££ from your UK account and they convert to $ and send these to your oz bank).

I have had examples of the past (albeit in US$ to £GBP) where my bank has offered to convert at 1.8 whereas a FX site offered 1.65.

When converting several thousand this makes a huge difference.

Hope this helps.
We have always transferred money from First Direct to our Commonwealth Bank account here and regardless of the amount being transferred, we have received similar or on two occasions, better rates than the HiFx/Oxforex lot could offer. Maybe lucky with timing, don't know.