Reload this Page >

Transfering small amount of cash to Westpac

Transfering small amount of cash to Westpac

Old May 5th 2007, 11:25 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Transfering small amount of cash to Westpac

Originally Posted by CathnPaul
so did you do it like a balance transfer onto your card and changed it into cash instead???
hifx debited my card for the amount in ££s
Old May 5th 2007, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
hifx debited my card for the amount in ££s
so it will have gone onto your credit card as a purchase..hmm, cheers
Old May 6th 2007, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Techno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Ah, I read it as you wanted to transfer the bond money into it to pay the Australian Government your bond, which of course you can't do as you won't be able to transfer the cash out. To activate an account, you have to verify your identity but if you just want to open it and put money in then it's pretty easy, and it will stay open providing you keep enough cash in to cover the fees (I didn't get any fees from the ANZ until after I arrived and started using the account, and in fact didn't have any funds in it until the day I verified my identity.)

From reading the westpac site, you can activate it before you arrive but it's very difficult.

http://www.westpac.com.au/internet/p...rseas+accounts

To transfer money in, I'd also say use tranzfers as they seem to be the best value for money

We phoned to open a Westpac account last week. It doesnt seem as difficult to activate it as the website suggests. There are loads of people on the acceptable referee list that can vouvh for you, such as teachers etc, not just bank managers as the website would have you believe.

I'll post once our paperwork comes through and the account goes live, ( if it's as easy as the woman on he phone made out ).
Old May 6th 2007, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Techno Freak
We phoned to open a Westpac account last week. It doesnt seem as difficult to activate it as the website suggests. There are loads of people on the acceptable referee list that can vouvh for you, such as teachers etc, not just bank managers as the website would have you believe.

I'll post once our paperwork comes through and the account goes live, ( if it's as easy as the woman on he phone made out ).
We opened our Westpac account last week. Was very quick and straight forward. Had to send them passport ID and a household bill. 4 days letter we recieved our account numbers for a current account and a savings account. No referree needed at all. If you want the email address of the girl that helped us out then send me a PM. She was called Sarah and rung us to say when paperwork was recieved and when things would be issued.

To activate it, we just need to send money over (we are using HIFX) and we are registering for telephone and online banking whilst in the UK as a view only option. When we land we then take our 100point ID into the declared branch, which is our passport and we will be issued with our debit cards, paying in books and cheque books. Then as soon as they have verified the 100point ID we can withdraw money.

Last edited by CathnPaul; May 6th 2007 at 3:25 pm.
Old May 6th 2007, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

showdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really nice

Originally Posted by CathnPaul
We opened our Westpac account last week. Was very quick and straight forward. Had to send them passport ID and a household bill. 4 days letter we recieved our account numbers for a current account and a savings account. No referree needed at all. If you want the email address of the girl that helped us out then send me a PM. She was called Sarah and rung us to say when paperwork was recieved and when things would be issued.

To activate it, we just need to send money over (we are using HIFX) and we are registering for telephone and online banking whilst in the UK as a view only option. When we land we then take our 100point ID into the declared branch, which is our passport and we will be issued with our debit cards, paying in books and cheque books. Then as soon as they have verified the 100point ID we can withdraw money.
Hi CathnPaul

I'm at this stage too. Do you know which account (or is it both) you need to put money in, current account or savings account?
Old May 6th 2007, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

dade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nice

hi there

If you're doing it purely so you can pay your bond you don't need to.

When the time comes and your case officer asks for your bond they will give you the link for the contact details of ALL the treasuries and you can contact them and compare interest rates etc and decide which one to go with. We chose WA Treasury cause they were offering the higest rate at the time and they were very fast and efficient, mind you they were all pretty fast in responding to our queries. We then just instructed Lloyds Bank to do the transfer and everything was fine. We have now opened a Westpac account so we can transfer money into it for when we arrive in Melbourne in 4 weeks' time but like others have already mentioned, we'll only be able to acces it after personally identifying ourselves there.

Last edited by dade; May 6th 2007 at 5:57 pm.
Old May 6th 2007, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by showdan
Hi CathnPaul

I'm at this stage too. Do you know which account (or is it both) you need to put money in, current account or savings account?
both they said. I asked the same question.