British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Transfering money form UK to Oz? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/transfering-money-form-uk-oz-670429/)

Scoult May 31st 2010 9:06 am

Transfering money form UK to Oz?

Hello fellow BE members!

Anyone know of a good company with good rates that can transfer money from my UK bank account to my Oz one? And the time it takes? Thanks for your help!!:thumbup::thumbup: As I need it for a home deposit!!!!

Pollyana May 31st 2010 9:39 am

Re: Transfering money form UK to Oz?

Originally Posted by Scoult (Post 8601072)
Hello fellow BE members!

Anyone know of a good company with good rates that can transfer money from my UK bank account to my Oz one? And the time it takes? Thanks for your help!!:thumbup::thumbup: As I need it for a home deposit!!!!

www.tranzfers.com

Usually takes about 3 days, costs $15 or £7 depending on which way the money is going!!

Scoult May 31st 2010 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 8601111)
www.tranzfers.com

Usually takes about 3 days, costs $15 or £7 depending on which way the money is going!!

thanks for that you are a star! :thumbup:

Pollyana May 31st 2010 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Scoult (Post 8601155)
thanks for that you are a star! :thumbup:

They are quick and very easy to use, been transferring cash both ways with them for years now :) If there are problems, which is very unusual, they are very good at fixing things quickly too.

paddyo May 31st 2010 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 8601111)
www.tranzfers.com

I use Tranzfers all the time but thats from Oz to UK. If I have to transfer from UK to Oz I actually use my UK bank (Halifax) which does it within 24 hrs and costs 9 quid I think. Tranzfers usually takes about 3 working days.

comet555 May 31st 2010 10:57 am

We used Ozforex. Very easy to set up and we got a great rate. The first time we moved money over to buy a car and we used the bank, which was a mistake as it took a surprisingly long time (a week) and the rate was crap.

When it came to the house money we used Ozforex and they were brilliant. Very quick and easy plus the rate was so much better than the bank. I have used them a few times since them and am about to use them again soon! The minimum amount to transfer with them is about $2000 dollars (in AU funds).

If you do a search on this board you'll find lots of discussion on either Ozforex or Transferz. I might be wrong but I thought most people use Transferz for smaller amounts, which is really useful for regular payments for bills, etc.

Julian927 May 31st 2010 9:25 pm

Hello fellow BE members!

I would definitely recommend UKForex (OZForex in the UK). Once you are registered with them it is very easy to transfer funds and at a much better rate than the banks.
Ian

darrellandsarah Jun 3rd 2010 10:05 am

we are in the process of moving money over.we used ozforex who are good.
1 problem we have had was with our uk bank releasing the money.we have 115,000gbp and they blocked the transfer.something to do with money laundering protection.we had to write a letter to the bank with copies of our passports as proof to get them to release the funds which put us back 2 weeks.
another good company is torfx

Alfresco Jun 3rd 2010 10:13 am

I'll be transferring money from South Africa to Oz soon and will be using

https://exchange4free.co.uk/en

If that pans out well costs wise, I may use them too for UK money to Oz.

Although I have registered and tested OzForex/UkForex which worked pretty well.

Alfresco Jun 3rd 2010 10:17 am

Originally Posted by darrellandsarah (Post 8608426)
we are in the process of moving money over.we used ozforex who are good.
1 problem we have had was with our uk bank releasing the money.we have 115,000gbp and they blocked the transfer.something to do with money laundering protection.we had to write a letter to the bank with copies of our passports as proof to get them to release the funds which put us back 2 weeks.
another good company is torfx

:eek:

Good point! I will remember to inform my bank beforehand so this delay does not occur.

Thanks.

darrellandsarah Jun 3rd 2010 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 8608453)
:eek:

Good point! I will remember to inform my bank beforehand so this delay does not occur.

Thanks.

no worries.llyodds tsb rang me last night to say they were transfering the funds and to check they had the right ozforex account numbers.checked our aussie account today and its here already.less than 24hrs:eek:now we can start the new house build:thumbup:

Alfresco Jun 3rd 2010 11:53 am

Originally Posted by darrellandsarah (Post 8608571)
no worries.llyodds tsb rang me last night to say they were transfering the funds and to check they had the right ozforex account numbers.checked our aussie account today and its here already.less than 24hrs:eek:now we can start the new house build:thumbup:

Yeah I'm with Lloyds too. I'll give them plenty of notice of my intentions to move the money.

Sherlock Holmes Jun 4th 2010 1:43 pm

Hello fellow BE members!

I can definitely recommend Tranzfers (for under $2,000.00) and OzForex for more. There are part of the same company which I believe I'm right in saying is part of Macquarie Bank. I have been getting my pension sent over every month for the last 4 years without a hitch.

EvannTel Jun 4th 2010 1:48 pm

I use HiFx for big amounts. Ozforex fir small

Happy with both on every front

wilson01 Jun 5th 2010 5:34 am

Hi, I'm just wondering if these companies charge you a commission rate for doing this for you or a one off payment. I'm about to transfer our money through Halo Financial and they have told me I have to set up a bank account with ANZ before they can do the transfer. I can't find anywhere where it says you need to pay for this service and just wondering if anyone knows :)

Thanks