Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Transfering funds prior to residency (tax!)

Transfering funds prior to residency (tax!)

Old Sep 18th 2006, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond repute
Default Transfering funds prior to residency (tax!)

Hi all ,

Apologies for this following mind numbingly intense question on a Monday morning , but any advice would be appreciated.

Just wondering whether any of you who migrated to Oz, transfered funds prior to becoming residents upon arrival in Oz ? (eg 1 month before)

The reason I ask is that I would ideally like to transfer now and take advantage of the better interest rate available from my newly opened ANZ account.

Does anyone know what the ATO's take on doing this is, and in particular how this is treated on one's year end tax return?

Thanks

PG
Old Sep 18th 2006, 11:01 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transfering funds prior to residency (tax!)

Originally Posted by Pommie Granite
Does anyone know what the ATO's take on doing this is, and in particular how this is treated on one's year end tax return?

What makes you think they would even care in a situation like this?
Old Sep 18th 2006, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
What makes you think they would even care in a situation like this?
i don't know.

but I would have thought that earning interest as a non resident would be treated differently...or is it something that I don't even mention at year end tax return?
Old Sep 18th 2006, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all ,

Apologies for this following mind numbingly intense question on a Monday morning , but any advice would be appreciated.

Just wondering whether any of you who migrated to Oz, transfered funds prior to becoming residents upon arrival in Oz ? (eg 1 month before)

The reason I ask is that I would ideally like to transfer now and take advantage of the better interest rate available from my newly opened ANZ account.

Thanks

PG
you can put your money into any account you wish-i think all the ATO care about is that you pay the appropriate amount of tax on any interest you earn from the date you become an Aus tax resident.
you do not pay tax on any money that you own, only on what you earn once tax resident.
Old Sep 18th 2006, 11:12 am
Just Joined

Saint Andy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all ,

Thanks

PG

Hi,
You are going to need a tax file number TFN otherwise you will be taxed on the interest earned, by the bank.
You are going to need an Aussie address before they'll give you a TFN.
Good luck,
Andy
Old Sep 18th 2006, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Poppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nice

Hi

Why don't you secure the rate now, but you don't have to send it over, just need a deposit to secure it. We are going to use Halo www.halofinancial.com the guy, Alastair has been very helpful and from what I can see, by looking at various websites over the last few weeks, they have the best rates. Then when you are ready to go, you pay them the oustanding balance (the amount you wanted transferring, minus the deposit you paid) and they transfer your money at the secured rate even if it has dropped considerably. The deposit is from 5 to 10%.

All the best
Old Sep 18th 2006, 11:31 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

i don't know.

but I would have thought that earning interest as a non resident would be treated differently...or is it something that I don't even mention at year end tax return?
If you are non-resident the bank will deduct 10% from the interest. You can reclaim this on your UK tax return. Interest income earned by a non-resident does not need to be reported on an Australian tax return.

(this should all be explained on the ATO website)
Old Sep 18th 2006, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Poppy
Hi

Why don't you secure the rate now, but you don't have to send it over, just need a deposit to secure it. We are going to use Halo www.halofinancial.com the guy, Alastair has been very helpful and from what I can see, by looking at various websites over the last few weeks, they have the best rates. Then when you are ready to go, you pay them the oustanding balance (the amount you wanted transferring, minus the deposit you paid) and they transfer your money at the secured rate even if it has dropped considerably. The deposit is from 5 to 10%.

All the best
Thanks...thats what we've done....I just wanted to transfer now to take advantage of higher interest rates in Oz.

Thanks Jaj for answergin my question in that the non-residents are charged 10% on the interest. I think even with this 10% charge, I would still be better off!!!
Old Sep 18th 2006, 4:44 pm
JAJ
Retired

Thanks...thats what we've done....I just wanted to transfer now to take advantage of higher interest rates in Oz.

Thanks Jaj for answergin my question in that the non-residents are charged 10% on the interest. I think even with this 10% charge, I would still be better off!!!
You're still liable for UK income tax, most likely.