British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Transfering a cars ownership (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/transfering-cars-ownership-370198/)

greggsy Apr 27th 2006 3:17 pm

Transfering a cars ownership

We are moving to Brisbane in 9 days and we have bought a car off of a friend of the family and pick it up when we arrive. Do you have a log book with the owners details you have to transfer to your name like over here. If so how easy is it. Any advice much appreciated.

Mark & Jo

kiwichild Apr 27th 2006 3:23 pm

Re: Transfering a cars ownership

Originally Posted by greggsy
We are moving to Brisbane in 9 days and we have bought a car off of a friend of the family and pick it up when we arrive. Do you have a log book with the owners details you have to transfer to your name like over here. If so how easy is it. Any advice much appreciated.

Mark & Jo

No idea. Suggest you contact the driver licencing authority in Brisbane when you arrive. Each state has different rules. At the very least their should be a change of ownership form the seller and you sign. This should be supplied and signed at time of purchase, then taken to licencing authority ASAP.

lian and jon Apr 27th 2006 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by kiwichild
No idea. Suggest you contact the driver licencing authority in Brisbane when you arrive. Each state has different rules. At the very least their should be a change of ownership form the seller and you sign. This should be supplied and signed at time of purchase, then taken to licencing authority ASAP.

As far as I am aware when you register the vehicle for a change of ownership you will be liable to pay stamp duty. This is certainly the case in WA and I believe for other states too. Rates vary between 2% and 6.5% depeding which state and how much it costs.

Jon

moneypenny20 Apr 27th 2006 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by lian and jon
As far as I am aware when you register the vehicle for a change of ownership you will be liable to pay stamp duty. This is certainly the case in WA and I believe for other states too. Rates vary between 2% and 6.5% depeding which state and how much it costs.

Jon

You will also have to provide a safety check certificate - bit like an MOT but you only need one when buying the car (secondhand). You will need to provide permanent proof of residence and ideally a QLD driving licence. Depending on which QLD transport office you go to, some have major problems transferring details over, others have no problem at all :rolleyes:

Trevglas Apr 28th 2006 12:35 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20
You will also have to provide a safety check certificate - bit like an MOT but you only need one when buying the car (secondhand). You will need to provide permanent proof of residence and ideally a QLD driving licence. Depending on which QLD transport office you go to, some have major problems transferring details over, others have no problem at all :rolleyes:

Being Queensland, expect some craziness with the safety certificate: when I transferred rego from NSW to QLD I was told I needed to change suspension bushes and a blown lamp, and to fix an oil leak.

I took the car away and had the engine steam cleaned (that fixed the oil leak :D ), and took the car back to the same place.

This time, they ignored the blown light and the suspension bushes, but insisted that I replace a tyre that was only 3 months old because it "had a different tread pattern"

By the way, when a car is sold 2nd hand, the seller has to get the safety certificate and display it on the car ($375 spot fine for non-display). The certificates are valid for 2 months or 2000km (for private sales).

Check out http://www.qld.gov.au/services_for_q...les.html?ref=h for licensing and rego info in Qld

greggsy May 1st 2006 6:26 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20

Do you know if the strathpine office is a good one. The issue with stamp duty does this count if you are buying privately or only from a dealer. Thanks for help so far

cheers

greggsy

Teliko21 May 1st 2006 6:36 am

Do you know if the strathpine office is a good one. The issue with stamp duty does this count if you are buying privately or only from a dealer. Thanks for help so far

cheers

greggsy

Stamp Duty definitely applies if the car is bought privately from my own experiences, and I thought it applied to dealer bought cars as well but no idea as I have never bought from a dealer :D

moneypenny20 May 1st 2006 6:41 am

cheers

greggsy

No idea I'm afraid. Only visited some on the GC :D We have two used cars and haven't paid stamp duty on either of them so don't know the rules on stamp duty. One was bought from a rental company and the other from a dealer.