Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Transfer money to NZ - Tax implications?

Transfer money to NZ - Tax implications?

Old Oct 10th 2004, 7:28 am
Just Joined

Big Face is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transfer money to NZ - Tax implications?

Hi all

Firstly......Great site and Im glad I found it

Now...We are planning to move to NZ early next year.

Does anyone know if there are any tax implications as to how/when I transfer
my money to NZ?

I am a UK citizen.....My wife is a NZ citizen and we have a joint a/c in NZ.

Are there any benefit/saving if the money is transferred from/to a/cs solely in a NZ citizens name?

Any help/advice appreciated.
Thanks
Old Oct 12th 2004, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Transfer money to NZ - Tax implications?

Their isn't any.

Much simpler than Oz as their is NO CGT in NZ and so any capital gains are tax free.

Once resident in NZ you have to declare all income worldwide but transferring money incurrs no tax liabliity. You can even hang onto your PEPS, ISA's and endowments without problems.
Old Oct 12th 2004, 1:27 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Face

I am a UK citizen.....My wife is a NZ citizen and we have a joint a/c in NZ.
Separate from the tax question - if your wife is not a British citizen have you considered the option of naturalisation while still resident in the UK? (in fact if married to a British citizen you can even move abroad during processing).

UK settled status will eventually be lost if the holder leaves the UK to live elsewhere. Citizenship will not be lost.

Having British citizenship will make life a lot easier should you later choose to return to the UK, or live elsewhere in Europe.

Jeremy
Old Oct 12th 2004, 11:31 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Re: Transfer money to NZ - Tax implications?

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
Their isn't any.

Much simpler than Oz as their is NO CGT in NZ and so any capital gains are tax free.

Once resident in NZ you have to declare all income worldwide but transferring money incurrs no tax liabliity. You can even hang onto your PEPS, ISA's and endowments without problems.
Just to be a smartarse: there is indeed CGT in NZ but normally you can disregard this eventuality. See the following:

If you traded in shares or currency for capital gain, you would be liable to CGT. If you speculated in property investments for short term gain, you would be liable to CGT.

In these cases capital gains are treated as income and taxed accordingly.
Old Oct 13th 2004, 6:18 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Couple of recent stories that property investors in the Wanaka/ Queenstown areas are being stung for CGT because they sold for a quick profit. Guidelines from tax office said holding a property for 10 years or more would be one way they would not chase you for CGT.
Old Oct 13th 2004, 10:47 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Don
Couple of recent stories that property investors in the Wanaka/ Queenstown areas are being stung for CGT because they sold for a quick profit. Guidelines from tax office said holding a property for 10 years or more would be one way they would not chase you for CGT.
I think it's possible in other jurisdictions to treat capital gains as income once the Revenue authorities believe it's the result of a *trading* business.

For example if you deal in shares personally a few times a year - it's capital. If you're a day-trader (and manage to make money, a big ask ... ) then there's a possibility your profits will be taxed under the income tax rules. I don't think this is unique to NZ, Alan Collett may be able to comment further.

Jeremy
Old Oct 13th 2004, 1:55 pm
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
I think it's possible in other jurisdictions to treat capital gains as income once the Revenue authorities believe it's the result of a *trading* business.

For example if you deal in shares personally a few times a year - it's capital. If you're a day-trader (and manage to make money, a big ask ... ) then there's a possibility your profits will be taxed under the income tax rules. I don't think this is unique to NZ, Alan Collett may be able to comment further.

Jeremy

hi jeremy

just wondering, do you have to pay tax on the money that you bring with you to auz when you migrate there? (house profits etc...)

laura
x
Old Oct 13th 2004, 10:20 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
hi jeremy

just wondering, do you have to pay tax on the money that you bring with you to auz when you migrate there? (house profits etc...)

laura
x
The importation of capital to Australia does not *in itself* create a tax liability.
That's about as much as one can say without getting into terribly complicated details of capital gains tax and forex elections.

Jeremy