British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   transfer of money hassle! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/transfer-money-hassle-409753/)

cakeychef Nov 23rd 2006 12:51 pm

transfer of money hassle!

hi all, i leave for perth tomorrow lunch time. i set up an ozforex account a while ago, however i have just learnt i need to go in to a local barclays branch and give all details & a date as to when i want to transfer into ozforex account.

i'm glad i just found this out as i was going to wait a while & transfer in the near future, but to do this from oz would be impossible / nightmare!!

Also, my furniture was shipped out last week, and my 7 suitcases / 4 handluggage is approx 12kg over the allowance! think i'll have to wear 3 shirts, 2 coats etc to get it all in, my paperwork etc probably weighs 1/2 kilo!!

any good luck all,

speak soon,
simon :beer:

yafm Nov 23rd 2006 1:51 pm

Re: transfer of money hassle!

Originally Posted by cakeychef
hi all, i leave for perth tomorrow lunch time. i set up an ozforex account a while ago, however i have just learnt i need to go in to a local barclays branch and give all details & a date as to when i want to transfer into ozforex account.

i'm glad i just found this out as i was going to wait a while & transfer in the near future, but to do this from oz would be impossible / nightmare!!

Also, my furniture was shipped out last week, and my 7 suitcases / 4 handluggage is approx 12kg over the allowance! think i'll have to wear 3 shirts, 2 coats etc to get it all in, my paperwork etc probably weighs 1/2 kilo!!

any good luck all,

speak soon,

Good luck safe journey everyone carry their extra coats and books to read (outside their carry one bag which is also weighed) :o

Centurion Nov 23rd 2006 7:11 pm

any good luck all,

speak soon,

Thats your bank being arses. Intelligent Finance in the UK do it by phone and happy to telephone australia to confirm by identity with a call back. No doubt many other banks do the same.

markeh Nov 23rd 2006 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion
Thats your bank being arses. Intelligent Finance in the UK do it by phone and happy to telephone australia to confirm by identity with a call back. No doubt many other banks do the same.

The cheque option is also cheeper, for an electronic transfer they charge you! :eek:
Send them a cheque.

Bye
Mark

wafc Nov 23rd 2006 7:54 pm

any good luck all,

speak soon,

I'm surprised at that, cant you just put Oz Forex's uk bank details as a payee online and then transfer your money online for free? Thats certainly what I do with RBS anyway.

My gf is with Barclays and I know that she can set up payee's online.

marco121068 Nov 23rd 2006 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by wafc
I'm surprised at that, cant you just put Oz Forex's uk bank details as a payee online and then transfer your money online for free? Thats certainly what I do with RBS anyway.

My gf is with Barclays and I know that she can set up payee's online.

Some time ago Barclays in their infinite wisdom decided to limit the amounts you could pay online to £1,000 per day!! :scared: and if you did it via their Telephone banking to £5,000 per day!! :scared:

This in the interests of 'The Customer'. :confused:

I don't remember being told this....and they couldn't confirm that they'd told customers.

I had a Forward Contract maturing in September - and I spent an hour on the phone to them moving higher and higher up the chain in their call centre - physically moving money from e-savings to Current Account while talking to them to confirm it was me they were talking to.

Eventually - I did manage to get the money paid to OzForex but only after a huge amount of grief.

To top it all the woman then asked me why I left it so late to transfer the money!

Dopey F*****g Cow!

wafc Nov 23rd 2006 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by marco121068
Some time ago Barclays in their infinite wisdom decided to limit the amounts you could pay online to £1,000 per day!! :scared: and if you did it via their Telephone banking to £5,000 per day!! :scared:

This in the interests of 'The Customer'. :confused:

I don't remember being told this....and they couldn't confirm that they'd told customers.

I had a Forward Contract maturing in September - and I spent an hour on the phone to them moving higher and higher up the chain in their call centre - physically moving money from e-savings to Current Account while talking to them to confirm it was me they were talking to.

Eventually - I did manage to get the money paid to OzForex but only after a huge amount of grief.

To top it all the woman then asked me why I left it so late to transfer the money!

Dopey F*****g Cow!

It sounds like a royal pain in the arse! I may have to check that situation out then as it could cause problems with the OH's bank account as she's with Barclays.

johnnyx0 Nov 23rd 2006 11:50 pm

I think I've left it a little late, as we didn't have time to set up Oz bank accounts before we left - and now we've been here a week and need to buy transport.
I assumed (silly me) that in this electronic world of global possibilities, that everything is achievable - but how do I now transfer my UK money to Oz?
I thought that it would be no more difficult than using the ATM, but ANZ say that I have to transfer the money via my UK account, and Western Union will only send money from Oz and not receive it?
Maybe I was seduced by the flash bank adverts which tell us that the world is a small place, and they can do whatever they need to, to service their customers (ha). I thought it would be simple - just give ANZ my UK account details and transfer the money, a bit like giving them a cheque... but its not that simple is it :confused:

Any ideas? Or is the best idea to simply take out the max every day from the ATM? (And I wanted to go shopping for campervans tomorrow....)

johnny

Pollyana Nov 24th 2006 7:52 am

Originally Posted by johnnyx0
I think I've left it a little late, as we didn't have time to set up Oz bank accounts before we left - and now we've been here a week and need to buy transport.
I assumed (silly me) that in this electronic world of global possibilities, that everything is achievable - but how do I now transfer my UK money to Oz?
I thought that it would be no more difficult than using the ATM, but ANZ say that I have to transfer the money via my UK account, and Western Union will only send money from Oz and not receive it?
Maybe I was seduced by the flash bank adverts which tell us that the world is a small place, and they can do whatever they need to, to service their customers (ha). I thought it would be simple - just give ANZ my UK account details and transfer the money, a bit like giving them a cheque... but its not that simple is it :confused:

Any ideas? Or is the best idea to simply take out the max every day from the ATM? (And I wanted to go shopping for campervans tomorrow....)

johnny

You sign up with www.tranzfers.com

Then you move money via the internet into their UK account, they convert it to $ and move it into their Aus transfer account, from where it gets moved to your Australian bank account. Very easy, very cheap. been using them for nearly 4 years now. My bank stuffed the transfer up this week, and the guys at Tranzfers have been mega-helpful sorting it out.