British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Transfer credit ratings? How??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/transfer-credit-ratings-how-502455/)

cathy_rainbow Dec 30th 2007 8:38 pm

Transfer credit ratings? How???

Hi All,

We leave for Tassie in 2 weeks and my OH still hasn't made any inquiries about this.
Can we transfer our UK credit rating (mortgage/credit card etc) to Oz and how?

We have had someone view our house which is for rental. He is from Phuket and doesn't have any UKL credit rating. It is going to be hard for him to satisfy our agent he is a good rental risk and I can see that we will be in the same boat in Tassie.

Any help gratefully accepted...

Cathy

annqldau Dec 30th 2007 8:45 pm

Re: Transfer credit ratings? How???

Originally Posted by cathy_rainbow (Post 5720634)
Hi All,

We leave for Tassie in 2 weeks and my OH still hasn't made any inquiries about this.

We have had someone view our house which is for rental. He is from Phuket and doesn't have any UKL credit rating. It is going to be hard for him to satisfy our agent he is a good rental risk and I can see that we will be in the same boat in Tassie.

Cathy

When we got here it didn't seem an option.

To get mortgage the HSBC bank were more interested in if you had a permanent job than how much cash you could personally put down to show you had assets. They needed letters to back up probation form employees in Aus not UK plus they made us put money in a locked term account for a year to cover payments if we lost our jobs which we then got back with hassle after a year. That was despite us already banking with them for 6 months and having all wages paid into HSBC.

Car insurance weren't bothered just gave us a policy that gave you full no claims from the start.

Otherwise no credit hassles encounter.

sammyg Dec 30th 2007 8:45 pm

Hi All,

Cathy

No....you can't transfer your credit rating...nothing, you start from scratch!!!

cathy_rainbow Dec 30th 2007 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by annqldau (Post 5720648)
When we got here it didn't seem an option.

To get mortgage the HSBC bank were more interested in if you had a permanent job than how much cash you could personally put down to show you had assets. They needed letters to back up probation form employees in Aus not UK plus they made us put money in a locked term account for a year to cover payments if we lost our jobs which we then got back with hassle after a year. That was despite us already banking with them for 6 months and having all wages paid into HSBC.

Car insurance weren't bothered just gave us a policy that gave you full no claims from the start.

Otherwise no credit hassles encounter.

Hi Ann,
Thanks for that.

I am thinking we will need credit references for rental as we are not selling our house here....

Is that not needed then?

Cathy

cathy_rainbow Dec 30th 2007 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by sammyg (Post 5720651)
No....you can't transfer your credit rating...nothing, you start from scratch!!!

Ah....

OK.... does that affect people who want to rent then???

Cathy

annqldau Dec 30th 2007 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by cathy_rainbow (Post 5720654)
Hi Ann,
Thanks for that.

I am thinking we will need credit references for rental as we are not selling our house here....

Is that not needed then?

Cathy

Just show them what you can in proof of identity etc. and you pay a $1,000+ bond anyway on singing that get's lodged with official bond people, then the people renting out get to keep that if you trash the house or if you skip off so that helps cover their costs. If you keep everything square you get it back when you leave the rental.

sammyg Dec 30th 2007 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by cathy_rainbow (Post 5720657)
Ah....

OK.... does that affect people who want to rent then???

Cathy

Not 100% on that one but i know that some people have secured rentals by offering to pay 3/4 months rent in advance.

as mentioned earlier, once you are there things like employer reference, bank statement showing that you have enough money in bank etc, are more useful:)

ray2gill Dec 31st 2007 8:49 am

Hi All,

Cathy

Hi Cathy,

I looked at the OZ HSBC credit card site and saw that their initial credit card balance amount is very low. I queried this with them stating that we had several HSBC credit cards with much higher amounts and was there anything we could do to get the initial amount increased as we would need to set up home, buying furniture etc.

I was told to get a letter from our credit card account manager stating what our current usable balance was and how the account had been managed and they would look into increasing the amount.

Haven't done anything about it yet was we are not in OZ yet.